Fixed up an old Fender amp.

I have a 1967 Fender Bassman.
IMG_1243.jpeg

I traded a Mesa Dual Rectifier (non-multiwatt) for it.

Recapped it, even some of those blue (supposedly bulletproof) tone caps were out of spec. I think this thing must have been underwater or something. Just about every component needed replacing. All but 3 carbon comp resistors were out of spec. Some were cracked in half, some turned to powder when you touched them. I have no idea what would cause that. It got to the point where I just got frustrated checking every component and having each one fail. I got like excited or relieved when 3 of the resistors checked out then I figured I should replace them anyway as they are sure to fail as soon as I reinstall the chassis into the head shell.

I tried to use the polarity switch to change the NFB resistor but it just made it sound like garbage. I ended up just finding my favorite value and removing the switch mod.

Instead, I wired in a Mids pot where the switch was and that really woke this amp up.
IMG_1699.jpeg

I also changed the grid stop resistors from 68k to 22k in hopes of reducing some of the hiss inherent to the resistors at the input to the first tube stage.

It was a lot of work but I’m happy with the results.

I think my next mod will be to install an effects loop where the Bass channel input are.

I’m probably going to move the Mid control to one of the spots in the front panel as I don’t use the Bass channel. I’ll use the Bass channel Deep switch to put the extra tube stage into the signal path.

I have a 1967 Fender Bassman.
View attachment 20208
I traded a Mesa Dual Rectifier (non-multiwatt) for it.

Recapped it, even some of those blue (supposedly bulletproof) tone caps were out of spec. I think this thing must have been underwater or something. Just about every component needed replacing. All but 3 carbon comp resistors were out of spec. Some were cracked in half, some turned to powder when you touched them. I have no idea what would cause that. It got to the point where I just got frustrated checking every component and having each one fail. I got like excited or relieved when 3 of the resistors checked out then I figured I should replace them anyway as they are sure to fail as soon as I reinstall the chassis into the head shell.

I tried to use the polarity switch to change the NFB resistor but it just made it sound like garbage. I ended up just finding my favorite value and removing the switch mod.

Instead, I wired in a Mids pot where the switch was and that really woke this amp up.
View attachment 20209

I also changed the grid stop resistors from 68k to 22k in hopes of reducing some of the hiss inherent to the resistors at the input to the first tube stage.

It was a lot of work but I’m happy with the results.

I think my next mod will be to install an effects loop where the Bass channel input are.
Sweet!!!
Love, love the Bassman.
Well done man, I bet you got sorted grossed out by a few of those spewie’ powdered components!
Motel Hell sausage’like intestinal tracts…🎯

That’s herds of work man.
Right on the money with the mids adjuster💯
Word.

Actually I lied. My first rack unit was an Ibanez UE400something effects unit. It was late 80s? I didn't know how to use it :oops: :ROFLMAO:

I found this interesting, Bassman 50 Modified by Mike Soldano, there is a picture of the signed schematic, very cool!

Back