Looking to buy my second electric guitar!

iknownothing

I'm considering buying either this 2007 MIM Tele or the 2018 LP. Truth told I'm having trouble having any grasp of what a good offer is for either guitar.

The tele is up for $650 CAD and the LP is up for $450 CAD, it also comes with the case which is dope. Would either of these be an instant-buy (assuming I have a good experience testing them out) at their listed price? Or would you haggle these down even lower.

I appreciate any advice in general on buying used guitars.

Attachments

• LP 2018 (1).jpg
    LP 2018 (1).jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 19
  • LP 2018 (2).jpg
    LP 2018 (2).jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 17
  • tele (1).jpg
    tele (1).jpg
    102 KB · Views: 19
  • tele (2).jpg
    tele (2).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 20
  • tele (3).jpg
    tele (3).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 20
Personally, I’d go for the Tele over the Epiphone but that’s because I haven’t had any good Epiphone experiences yet. That said, $650 seems a bit steep for a used MIM Tele.
I see, funny enough, as I continue to do my research, it seems the LP is actually a good deal, even more so if i can knock off 100-50. But I also hear Epiphones are just accidents waiting to happen?

More and more, it may seem i should opt for a tele, at the right price.

I see, funny enough, as I continue to do my research, it seems the LP is actually a good deal, even more so if i can knock off 100-50. But I also hear Epiphones are just accidents waiting to happen?

It’s not so much accidents waiting to happen as it is general quality control coming out of the company. It’s quite hit or miss. Just read reviews of any single Epiphone model, like the Adam Jones sig, you’ll see everything from “Best guitar I ever bought” to “Can’t believe they have the balls to raise prices on LP Customs and put out garbage like this”

The Mexican Fender stuff isn’t flawless, but overall there’s less quality control issues going on with them in general.

Older Epi's IME had a lot more problems than the ones made in the last 5-7 years. I have 3 Epi's and I have upgraded the pickups and wiring in 2 and getting ready to do the 3rd soon, but overall they are decent guitars that will require some work to make really good.

I believe they are different scales too, if that makes a difference to you. Go play used ones at GC or other big music store if you have one near you for an afternoon and that should tell you all you need to know. I would buy that tele if you could get it around $500 CAD.

IMO, you should decide what type of guitar you want and then look for the best bang for your buck. A tele and a LP play/feel completely different to me. Nothing worse than buying your dream guitar for now only to realize you don't like to play it.

I’ve just never been able to take Epiphone guitars seriously. I’ve played so many lemons from them. The only one I’ve played that was decent was a Florentine.

I’d definitely choose the Tele in this case. However, the only way it’s worth that much is if it has good pickups in it.

I agree with the others about Epiphone. You can get lucky and find a really great one, but you will likely need to try a bunch to find it.

I had an Epiphone Les Paul Plus-Top Pro about ten years ago that was strangely great, but most other Epiphones I’ve tried were just ok to good. Just luck of the draw.

Back