I Gotta Wonder About Fractal's, er, "Perception"

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
Reading a thread at TOP in which a newbie is looking for advice regarding which modeler to purchase, and it doesn't take long before the typical Fractal comments start up. Which has me wondering a few things:

"I sold it because the UI is too much of a PITA and it couldn't do X."

Possible reality: It does do what you want it to do, but you either wanted the info spoon-fed to you, or simply quit trying to learn how, prior to giving up. Units like the ones from FAS can do SO much, and are designed to give the widest amount of players the most options, that some of that stuff will require learning some new skills on how to make it do what you want. If I bought a RJM Mastermind, I would expect a steep learning curve to be able to set it up to be able to make it scroll through songs, while also giving me the ability to access certain effects 'on-the-fly', while also having my choice of 3 different crunch tones whenever I wanted, etc., e.g.

"Any of the 3 will sound fine live or in a mix, and neither the audience nor you will be able to tell the differences."

Reality: We're guitarists, and we're pretty damn picky as a lot, about our tone. So even minor differences do matter to a lot of us. Just read through the DR thread! And just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean no one can! Plus, how the units react to your playing is also a factor. And/or, maybe you have shit ears. For me, I want to have a great tone, before I worry about what I'm able to give to an audience.

"Insert famous artist is using X unit. So that means X is the best."

Really? I'd say yes and no. Many, many artists use Fractal, but Fractal doesn't do endorsements. But do we know if any other brands do? Honest question. And as for buying any gear because a certain famous guitarist uses it..., yeah, we do that because we love their tones, and want them for our own use. It's why I play Mesa amps, a Majesty guitar, and use a Fractal Axe III. And I know I'm not in the minority in wanting to cop either my favorite player's tone, or a certain amp's tone I love. (Well, I don't know, but I think it's a safe educated assumption. How's that?)

So many people absolutely love FAS products because of the crazy amount of support from Cliff Chase. It's undoubtedly a fantastic way to run a company, so it sure does seem to follow that that makes a lot of their customers a bit fanatical. Especially when that level of service-after-the-sale is so lacking these days.

Not sure what to comment about that one, other than to say it's somewhat human nature to want to knock the "king" off the throne (I purposely put king in quotes, even though personally I do feel FAS is the best, overall.) Just look at 2 football players at somewhat opposite ends of the spectrum, and the shit they got: Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick. (Maybe not the greatest analogy, but hopefully you get my point.)

And last, the pot-shots that people take about the graphs. FFS people, it's simply the way a guy like Cliff can show us, in an objective manner, that his products match closer to the item he's modelling, than the competition. Makes perfect sense he would do that, especially given how hard it is to agree on accuracy, with just our ears.

TL;DR: There is only one valid reason (doesn't bother me personally, but I can see why it bothers many others) why FAS deserves any criticism, and that's the hardware workflow. But for the others, I think if you drill down far enough, those arguments just don't hold up. All in my observation, IMO, YMMV, yada yada...

Last edited:
Long ago; someone must have been a huge asshole + the idea that you sell a full stack to buy a rack unit and somehow not comprehend there will be differences because duh = 20 years later, we're still seeing people entering the cry room.

the typical Fractal comments

Which of the main player modelers doesn't suffer from this to some degree?

Stones were etched a long time ago with all of the supposed 'issues' associated with each platform. A whole new generation of players will recite them as gospel as if they were 100% involved with the evolution of all this shit over the past 25 years and experienced every little quirk and bug hands on themselves. Big whatever imo.

Someone loves Fractal just as much as someone else tried it and found it wasn't for them. How they choose to express it in chat rooms is where all the problems arise. Same goes for the Toaster, the Quad, and the lot of them.

Same as it ever was.

"Any of the 3 will sound fine live or in a mix, and neither the audience nor you will be able to tell the differences."
I always call bullshit on those posts.

I can tell a difference and for me that's very important. I've learned over time that most of the audience couldn't tell the difference between the world's best amp and a Gorilla GG-25.

I don't care about them. Having a better tone helps ME be a better player and that is huge, IMO.

Fractal doesn't do endorsements. But do we know if any other brands do? Honest question
I'm pretty sure all the other major players do...
TL;DR: There is only one valid reason (doesn't bother me personally, but I can see why it bothers many others) why FAS deserves any criticism, and that's the hardware workflow. But for the others, I think if you drill down far enough, those arguments just don't hold up. All in my observation, IMO, YMMV, yada yada...
I think the people making these complaints are new to rack mount / digital multi-effects units... Yes, there are some newer units that have fancier and more intuitive interfaces, but I could care less about it. The Fractal stuff is miles ahead of what we used to have...

I remember a poll a number of years back over at TOP where people were asked to respond as to which platforms they've bought, tried out for a decent amount of time, and then sold. Think it ran for at least a couple of weeks.

I remember the results and thinking about my grandfather always saying; "at the end of the day everything evens out".

In regard to the Axe, Toaster, and Helix they all pretty much had the same % of folks who bought and then bailed on the platform. There was no clear favorite whatsoever.

Kinda like how it goes with guitars, and tube amps, and automobiles, etc. ..... :giggle:

Reading a thread at TOP in which a newbie is looking for advice regarding which modeler to purchase, and it doesn't take long before the typical Fractal comments start up. Which has me wondering a few things:

Possible reality: It does do what you want it to do, but you either wanted the info spoon-fed to you, or simply quit trying to learn how, prior to giving up. Units like the ones from FAS can do SO much, and are designed to give the widest amount of players the most options, that some of that stuff will require learning some new skills on how to make it do what you want. If I bought a RJM Mastermind, I would expect a steep learning curve to be able to set it up to be able to make it scroll through songs, while also giving me the ability to access certain effects 'on-the-fly', while also having my choice of 3 different crunch tones whenever I wanted, etc., e.g.

Reality: We're guitarists, and we're pretty damn picky as a lot, about our tone. So even minor differences do matter to a lot of us. Just read through the DR thread! And just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean no one can! Plus, how the units react to your playing is also a factor. And/or, maybe you have shit ears. For, I want to have a great tone, before I worry about what I'm able to give to an audience.

Really? I'd say yes and no. Many, many artists use Fractal, but Fractal doesn't do endorsements. But do we know if any other brands do? Honest question. And as for buying any gear because a certain famous guitarist uses it..., yeah, we do that because we love their tones, and want them for our own use. It's why I play Mesa amps, a Majesty guitar, and use a Fractal Axe III. And I know I'm not in the minority in wanting to cop either my favorite player's tone, or a certain amp's tone I love. (Well, I don't know, but I think it's a safe educated assumption. How's that?)

So many people absolutely love FAS products because of the crazy amount of support from Cliff Chase. It's undoubtedly a fantastic way to run a company, so it sure does seem to follow that that makes a lot of their customers a bit fanatical. Especially when that level of service-after-the-sale is so lacking these days.

Not sure what to comment about that one, other than to say it's somewhat human nature to want to knock the "king" off the throne (I purposely put king in quotes, even though personally I do feel FAS is the best, overall.) Just look at 2 football players at somewhat opposite ends of the spectrum, and the shit they got: Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick. (Maybe not the greatest analogy, but hopefully you get my point.)

And last, the pot-shots that people take about the graphs. FFS people, it's simply the way a guy like Cliff can show us, in an objective manner, that his products match closer to the item he's modelling, than the competition. Makes perfect sense he would do that, especially given how hard it is to agree on accuracy, with just our ears.

I stopped reading a "TOP"...

While I'm happy to discuss Fractal specifics with those interested, for those who already have a preconception of it or how it works, it's really kinda futile. You'll hit a cross roads of "I don't want to spend all that time tweaking" and "Modelers make everything sound the same", so when you try to counter one with the other, they find a supposed 'Gotcha!' while still not understanding how any of it works.

And if you have a legit counter for any claim, out come the caveats. It's easier to just rock out with the things, the people who need a Fractal in their lives will find their way to it.

Eddie Murphy Shut Up GIF by Bounce

You don’t have to be bashful or tactful. We know who @Doug B is ;)

I am always respectful and diplomatic. I am not a very good keyboard warrior, I grew up in a time where people still treated each other decently and failing to do so would result in a punch in the face.

But that does not mean I will stand by silently while somebody is posting misleading shit, I have zero tolerance for that stuff.

There's an anti-Fractal culture over there. Partly due to my caustic online personality. I've had it out with one of the mods over there so they aren't exactly in our camp when it comes to moderating things fairly.

Now combine that with obvious conflicts of interest and this is what you get.

It's a shame that a site that was started to allow musicians to interact freely has been corrupted by greed and influence. Money does strange things to people.

There's an anti-Fractal culture over there. Partly due to my caustic online personality. I've had it out with one of the mods over there so they aren't exactly in our camp when it comes to moderating things fairly.

I’ve been there for a long time, and I don’t think that the anti-Fractal stuff is any worse than at any other point in time. The difference is that a very large percentage of Fractal owners who used to frequent the place have chosen to stop participating, so there isn’t near the same amount of pro Fractal content that there used to be and all that is left is the sour grapes brigade. And they feed off of each other.

Now combine that with obvious conflicts of interest and this is what you get.

It's a shame that a site that was started to allow musicians to interact freely has been corrupted by greed and influence. Money does strange things to people.
Curious since I’m not in the know and I must have missed the drama that caused this place (may have been during one of my mandatory “vacations”)…. what’s the conflict of interest?

On the getting into it with mods or questions about why they make the decisions they do…. yeah that’s a sure fire way to get you on thin ice not matter who you are. I know from experience.

Curious since I’m not in the know and I must have missed the drama that caused this place and the TOP meme etc… what’s the conflict of interest?

On the getting into with mods…. yeah that’s a sure fire way to get you on thin ice not matter who you are. I know from experience.

This place exists because the sensitive souls over there weaponized the report button to silence people who they disagreed with. That is the real issue with the culture that has taken over, it used to be a place where people could actually discuss things like adults.

Reality: We're guitarists, and we're pretty damn picky as a lot, about our tone. So even minor differences do matter to a lot of us. Just read through the DR thread! And just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean no one can! Plus, how the units react to your playing is also a factor. And/or, maybe you have shit ears. For me, I want to have a great tone, before I worry about what I'm able to give to an audience.

Meh, who cares. Of course loads of guitarists don't get on with the "Fractal UI" -- that should come as no surprise. Either someone really likes the approach (most of the folks here) or must REALLY appreciate the sonic difference to choose Fractal.

The sound differences in a lot of areas are pretty small at this point. And "gulp" there are some things that other platforms do that Fractal doesn't (See Helix Voltage Queen model).

With UA finally having a lot of steep sales on their plugins, I decided to try that world out with a used Apollo Solo interface. Snagged the tweed plugin for $25 and...plug into the interface, select one of three speakers, one of a handful of mics, and play. There is some value to that simplicity of approach for a lot of sounds that a lot of guitarists like.

But I still ain't selling my FM3 anytime soon.

Meh, who cares. Of course loads of guitarists don't get on with the "Fractal UI" -- that should come as no surprise. Either someone really likes the approach (most of the folks here) or must REALLY appreciate the sonic difference to choose Fractal.

The sound differences in a lot of areas are pretty small at this point. And "gulp" there are some things that other platforms do that Fractal doesn't (See Helix Voltage Queen model).

With UA finally having a lot of steep sales on their plugins, I decided to try that world out with a used Apollo Solo interface. Snagged the tweed plugin for $25 and...plug into the interface, select one of three speakers, one of a handful of mics, and play. There is some value to that simplicity of approach for a lot of sounds that a lot of guitarists like.

I can get tones I like out of my Helix, Kemper, and Axe-FX. That part is not an even wash, but close enough. Where Fractal really jumps ahead for me is the versatility in layouts and switching configurations. And yes, more functionality equates to more parameters to learn, which means a more involved UI.

I can love something about almost all of this stuff as well as find something to bitch about all of them pretty easily. I do like the fact that I've consolidated down to 1 brand now ( for the next 7.5 minutes). Whether that sticks or not is obviously up to the direction the wind is blowing at a given moment :oops: :nails:ROFLMAO:

Back