I Gotta Wonder About Fractal's, er, "Perception"

I just don't see the other brands trying to follow their lead in any way.
Frequent free feature updates weren't really a thing before Fractal IMO.

They also pioneered the super-high-end and expensive modeller, which has allowed other manufacturers to do the same.

Hey, I toss out superlatives as much as the next guy but sometimes they just come out sounding a bit whacked.
It's just an opinion, like your tongue-in-cheek opinion of Knaggs guitars... ;)

I think you are reading too much into the phrase "dominates the industry" - it could have equally well have been "casts a long shadow".

I'm not into hyperbole, but the influence that Fractal has had on the modelling industry is immense - the same applies to Line 6, Boss, and Kemper too.

I think you are reading too much into the phrase "dominates the industry"

Been thinking about this and was going to start a dedicated thread but there's no "general gear" section.
I think the most dominate a piece of gear/brand was a huge chunk of the 80s and Ibanez guitars - at least in rock.
Same could almost be said of the 90s and Mesa Rectifiers.

Go back further and it gets easy just because of lack of choices - Fender amps in the 60s or Marshalls in the 70s for example.

Last edited:
How does one read too much into the phrase "dominates the industry?" That statement says something is the undisputed leader of everything in the industry and every other company is trying to be them or compete with them. That would include financially. You can't dominate something without having the most units in the wild.

How does one read too much into the phrase "dominates the industry?" That statement says something is the undisputed leader of everything in the industry and every other company is trying to be them or compete with them.
No, it doesn't - it merely states my opinion, and my *entire* response was to distinguish between the *industry*, and the *market*, to take sales out of the equation!

Where does Fractal dominate? Anecdotally, it seems to me that when you see these big stadium bands using modellers, much of the time, they are using Fractal units.

Jesus, all this fuss over a throwaway comment! I'm not even a Fractal fanboi! ;)

giphy.gif

Jesus, all this fuss over a throwaway comment! I'm not even a Fractal fanboi!

It's a message board. People with nothing better to do come here to discuss crap. No one is fussing over your comment - it was simply good food for fodder this morning. It's an interesting perspective that folks just want to discuss.

:beer

No, it doesn't - it merely states my opinion, and my *entire* response was to distinguish between the *industry*, and the *market*, to take sales out of the equation!

Where does Fractal dominate? Anecdotally, it seems to me that when you see these big stadium bands using modellers, much of the time, they are using Fractal units.

Jesus, all this fuss over a throwaway comment! I'm not even a Fractal fanboi! ;)

View attachment 17060
No offense but you may want to look up the word dominate. People using terms like this is what causes the heated conversations IMHO. It is the same as the statement "blows it out of the water." Those statements mean more than people may think. If a sports team is "dominating the sport" doesn't that mean they are beating every other team they come up against and all the other players would love to be on that team at that moment? It is not a "throw away" term. It has meaning to many people.

I will also tell you that I live in an area where there are a lot of band events every year with large crowds. I see very few bands using Fractal units at these events. I actually see Kemper more than any other and Helix is the next most popular on these stages. Of course there are a lot of real tube amps as well.

I'm thinking I might could make a mashup of the best elements of the other modelers and I'd still prefer a Fractal. Discuss.

I will also tell you that I live in an area where there are a lot of band events every year with large crowds. I see very few bands using Fractal units at these events.
Just curious, what are the names of some of these bands?

Just curious, what are the names of some of these bands?
I don't know the names of most of them. I see many of them and remembering the names of the bands isn't at the top of my agenda at those events. We tend to walk around a lot and watch parts of sets from many of the bands.

I do know of one of them that I have seen there multiple times. When I first saw them both of the guitar players were playing through rack mount Helix units. They both moved over to rack mount Kemper units a couple of years ago or so. The band is Big Engine.

View attachment 17060

Andy GIF by Australian Survivor

I expect to see Kemper and helix more on local stages. Can't you rent equipment at Guitar Centers? Or are those days gone?

Regardless, if something happens to your kemper or helix, you can waltz into a music store and rent one, even better, if you have a USB with your profiles on it, you are off and running same day. Add in promotions, financing, exposure,etc. we've had this conversation plenty and continue to have it every other week 😂 I don't think Fox meant anything dubious by it and it's his opinion at the end of the day anyway

• 100%
Reactions: JT
I said Fractal dominates the industry, particularly the digital amp and effects modelling industry - not in sales, of course, but I do genuinely believe it is the standard that others aspire to.

And I say that as someone who doesn't currently own any Fractal gear, which I sold because I happen to prefer the Helix. ;)
I’d say they definitely influence the modeling world but so does Kemper, Line 6, Quad etc. Free market competition is a good thing.

Back