Line 6 POD Express

Well, my 5+ year streak is over. No more GAS Anonymous coins for me. Thanks a lot Line 6.

My POD-E is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I spend 4 months each summer in a small cabin in a remote part of N. Minnesota. My adaptation has been to tote along my THR10c which has really worked out quite well for me. I mean, it covers the need, but I've been wanting an upgrade in the modeling quality. Was even thinking about lugging my Helix LT this coming summer. But this devilish device seems like a very practical way to keep my rig tiny while upgrading tone quality (the part that comes downstream of fingers). Even with the POD-E the THR will probably still come along (to serve as my poor man's "FRFR"). Wish line 6 would make a small end table compatible all-in-one for me, but the POD-E + THR10c should get the job of improving the setup within my physical constraints there done.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to play with my POD Express. Quick notes / impressions:
  • Sadly, i have nothing to report tone-wise... because the thing sounds just as good as my Helix or Stomp :D
  • I was a bit concerned about the plastic enclosure, but the Pod Express feels incredibly solid. In fact, i reckon a metal enclosure might make it a bit too heavy for a guitar pedal.
  • A lot of fun to tweak and play with! My only gripe is amp settings are secondary function for all knobs, so you need to click Alt to adjust those. Would be nice to be able to change this behavior - maybe double click Alt to latch to FX/amps?
  • I really like the curated selection of amps, cabs and effects on the PE. Litigator, DC-30, 5150, BE-100... anyone should be able to find tones here, regardless of style.
  • The Space reverb is cool, but, am i crazy or is this a brand new algorithm? Can't recall it being available on other HX products.
  • Drives my Audio-Technica cans (ATH-MSR7, 35 Ohms) like nothing. Plenty of volume on tap.
Overall, ridiculous value at US$180, specially considering it's also battery powered and works as a 4-channel USB interface. This thing is now my home headphone rig du jour.

Got mine today and had a few minutes to play around with it.

I quickly ran through some of the presets to practice with the UI tried to dial in a couple of the models. i'll need some more work with it, lol. Count me among those who hope Line 6 ultimately puts together an editor for it. Maybe not feasible but I've got very comfortable and accustomed to HX Edit. I did hook it to a my new laptop and updated the software and verified I could stream USB audio into it and hear it through the headphones. But I haven't put a DAW the new laptop yet so didn't try integrating that. It would be nice to be able to get some scratch recordings while I'm in the woods, wouldn't try any substantial project, but that functionality is not necessary.

No surprise that it sounded pretty good after a quick listen. I do hve to say I miss the Elmsley and Grammatico GSG (my main choices these days). But it's good for me to work with some different models for a change. Clean and Chime stood out the most on that first play through.

Compared tothe THR10 whose modeling it will replace, I like the amp models better. Or maybe it's more the cab/speker portion of the modeling. The THR has a boomy/boxyness to it that I have trouble dialing out. I'll have to play around with the effects more. Definitely a broader palette in the POD-E than the THR.

My only complaint is the thing is so light the memory in my guitar cables pushes it around and it's tricky to keep it on top of my desk without the cable dragging it off. Definitely a first world problem. I'll check back in a couple of days with more thoughts as I dive into it more.

Been really enjoying mine with headphones and now I want something to plug it into. Is it stupid to buy a Katana 100 just to use the power amp input with the Pod Express? I imagine all the Pod effects and models are better than BOSS. Maybe something "FRFR"? What's cheap? :ROFLMAO:

The Catalyst works nice as a powered speaker and lots of favorable reviews for that Fender fur fur. :D

I think I’ve found one bug in the POD Express - delay mix changes after saving preset:

1. Save a preset with the delay effect on with a low mix (try Analog Delay on 1 or 2)
2. Switch to preset mode
3. Advance to the next preset
4. Switch back to the preset you just saved
5. Now the delay mix in the preset is much higher than previously saved

Incoming L6 PE. 2 Pod Express demo units popped up on Sweetwater a little while ago so I snagged one for myself.
FREE shipping & 2 year warranty, so I thought, why not. Sounds like fun.

I know the demos disappear REAL fast. There was 3 yesterday afternoon and they were gone in a couple hours.....!!

They still have one left. I saved $19.44 (total cost including tax) by getting the demo and still get free ship & 2 year warranty.

Incoming L6 PE. 2 Pod Express demo units popped up on Sweetwater a little while ago so I snagged one for myself.
FREE shipping & 2 year warranty, so I thought, why not. Sounds like fun.

I know the demos disappear REAL fast. There was 3 yesterday afternoon and they were gone in a couple hours.....!!
If a bass version pops up as a demo, it's probably mine...Ugggh!

The Sweetwater rep had UPS deliver it to the FEDEX Kinkos store when it was supposed to be shipped FEDEX to the FEDEX Kinkos store for me to pickup. UPS then sent it back to Sweetwater, I think. If you hear from my Sweetwater rep, can you let them know I don't need the bass version anymore because Line6 is shipping me one that will arrive on Thursday & I'd like my money back. :poop::hmm:poop:

Have a good one,

3EO

Well, I just bought a demo on sweetwater for 161.99

So much for holding off until they fix the linked mod & delay time :bonk

I think it’s going to be the perfect iphone interface and headphone practice amp. Or for the laptop I’ll just use it for monitoring, record the dry signal and go crazy with helix native

IMG_2196.jpeg

Nope. Buying gear requires all kinds of cognitive skills like gear math, seeing, pressing, and wanting.

But seriously, nope.
Gear math is fun. I guess I’m just not sure if it’s worth spending money on all the katanas knobs if I’ll only use it as a power amp for the pod express at this point.

🤷‍♂️

• The Space reverb is cool, but, am i crazy or is this a brand new algorithm? Can't recall it being available on other HX products.
I would guess it’s something grabbed out of the Legacy stuff. Can’t remember if there’s a “Space” in the Legacy reverbs though.

Gear math is fun. I guess I’m just not sure if it’s worth spending money on all the katanas knobs if I’ll only use it as a power amp for the pod express at this point.

🤷‍♂️
I don’t know of a powered guitar cab that’s cheaper. Just consider the Katanas modeling and knobs a bonus.

I have the Catalyst and a couple of modeling pedals. I get the most joy out of the Catalyst when I don’t think too hard about it. Just plug in a dial a sound real quick or plug directly into the power amp in and I’m happy. If I think about how powerful it is, then I start thinking about its limitations or if I’m justified in having it, and then I’m screwed.

Back