Line 6 POD Express

Anyone try to use it with Helix Native in real time? E.g. how is the round-trip latency when it's being used as an audio interface? I'm looking for a portable rig but also would like the option to use it with a laptop + full Helix tones if needed.

Anyone try to use it with Helix Native in real time? E.g. how is the round-trip latency when it's being used as an audio interface? I'm looking for a portable rig but also would like the option to use it with a laptop + full Helix tones if needed.
It's not bad, I think it was around 4ms, buffer set to 64. I wasn't using the Native plugin with it though, so it'd probably be slightly more latency. My Motu interface is faster so I use it for Native.

If a bass version pops up as a demo, it's probably mine...Ugggh!

The Sweetwater rep had UPS deliver it to the FEDEX Kinkos store when it was supposed to be shipped FEDEX to the FEDEX Kinkos store for me to pickup. UPS then sent it back to Sweetwater, I think. If you hear from my Sweetwater rep, can you let them know I don't need the bass version anymore because Line6 is shipping me one that will arrive on Thursday & I'd like my money back. :poop::hmm:poop:

Have a good one,

3EO

Hey 3EO, let us know what you think of the Bass version of the PE...oh & BTW did you see this ??

I love this idea to EXPAND the PE !!

1712234799986.png

If a bass version pops up as a demo, it's probably mine...Ugggh!

The Sweetwater rep had UPS deliver it to the FEDEX Kinkos store when it was supposed to be shipped FEDEX to the FEDEX Kinkos store for me to pickup. UPS then sent it back to Sweetwater, I think. If you hear from my Sweetwater rep, can you let them know I don't need the bass version anymore because Line6 is shipping me one that will arrive on Thursday & I'd like my money back. :poop::hmm:poop:

Have a good one,

3EO

I just bought a demo of the Bass PE at Sweetwater. Maybe it's yours ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've only played a little bit of guitar this week, but been using the PE with headphones when I have. Been really digging on the Chime model set to a slight breakup, a bit of plate reverb and slap back echo. :chef
Just running a few choice pedals into the unit and like what I'm hearing.

I meant to report back a little sooner. I finally had a couple more chances to mess around with mine. Here's my impressions:

1. Sounds good. Caveat, I'm not trying to re-create specific pieces of gear, just want a palette of options to get me the qualitatively right kind of tone for the different things I play.

2. Fits the niche for what I need really well--something small for a scaled down take-it-with-me-to-the-cabin-in-the-woods-for-the-summer rig. Within that I want good quality sounds from clean to hard rock.

3. Easy to tweak. My original intent was to create a bunch of presets while fully on the grid so I don't have to spend too much time fiddling with knobs and reading user guides. I'll probably set up a few in special orders for certain songs so that I can cycle between them via footswitch, but for random sounds for random playing dialing something on the fly is easy enough.

4. Pairs nice with my old THR-10. I expected that since my Helix LT does as well. One might ask, "If you're taking the THR-10 along, why bother with the extra box. That one's easy, and I say this with much affection towards the THR which isn't bad, but the POD-E sounds better and has more variety in the heart of the tone space I favor.

Other than that, when I play it I miss the Grammatico GSG and Elmsley. I've grown very attached to those models. None of the effects knock my socks off but they don't detract either. I haven't tried using it as an audio interface with my DAW yet. I plan to use it that way over the summer but if I have problems that I can't easily sort out it's not that big of a deal. I mentioned somewhere up above that I've grown really used to HX edit so I'm among the users who would welcome a Windows or Android editor is Line 6 were to offer one someday. I don't know what plan Line 6 has, if any, for future development for the box, but for what it's intended for/my need, it's pretty complete. I'll always take moar though. I haven't run across any problems or bugs.

Hi,

I have been lurking around here for a while, to make a decision on the Pod Express Bass or a compact multi effects like Ampero II stomp.
Today I made an account to just make this post. As this forum has been crucial in helping me decide & I went ahead with the Line 6 PE bass.

I am perhaps the target market for Line 6, a beginner just starting out on effects pedals. So NEED a less daunting product, with less figuring out/fiddling about & more playing/practicing.

My chain -
Basses -> NUX B-8 -> Pod Express Bass -> DSM & Humboldt Bass Simplifier Station (used as DI &/or Preamp)
All being powered by a Cioks DC7.

Pros -
1 - Simple to use & understand.
2 - Pretty much all the pedals I was considering as a beginner are in there & then some more.
3 - Effects chain simplified - for a beginner. No need to worry about plethora of permutation combinations & complicated parameters & their effects on the sound. This is incredible. As this makes me understand what an effect does & doesn't scare the daylights out of me looking at all the options within each effect.
4 - Just play - turn the knobs - have fun - turn the knobs some more - keep playing. Oh this is amazing.

Cons -
I frankly do not have any - if I have to really come with some - as no product can ever be perfect as we consumers are greedy.
1 - I really wish there was some sort of metronome/drum machine type of feature in here. It would have made life super simple. Currently I have to get my iPad going with the audio interface to get some drum simulations on the side. If they existed in this pedal this was it. Just absolute dream, but I understand every single feature imaginable can't be packed in a single device.
2 - This is a continuation of the first point & not really a con, but more wishful thinking again - almost all beginners will have some sort of tuner, either the clip on one, or maybe a pedal tuner like Korg. So I wish in the future Line 6 gives us an option to remove the tuner & run a drum machine instead. I really feel as a beginner - this is all you really need then.
LOL - GREED.

This is my first Line 6 product, I have only in the past played around with a bunch of preamps & kept the DSM for it's simplicity & ability to produce incredible sounds without much tinkering. As far as multi effects go - I think this one is going to stick around for a while. Kudos team Line 6, @Digital Igloo , amazing product for a beginner to get a taste of the pie.

Hi,

I have been lurking around here for a while, to make a decision on the Pod Express Bass or a compact multi effects like Ampero II stomp.
Today I made an account to just make this post. As this forum has been crucial in helping me decide & I went ahead with the Line 6 PE bass.

I am perhaps the target market for Line 6, a beginner just starting out on effects pedals. So NEED a less daunting product, with less figuring out/fiddling about & more playing/practicing.

My chain -
Basses -> NUX B-8 -> Pod Express Bass -> DSM & Humboldt Bass Simplifier Station (used as DI &/or Preamp)

Pros -
2 - Pretty much all the pedals I was considering as a beginner are in there & then some more.
3 - Effects chain simplified - for a beginner. No need to worry about plethora of permutation combinations & complicated parameters & their effects on the sound. This is incredible. As this makes me understand what an effect does & doesn't scare the daylights out of me looking at all the options within each effect.
4 - Just play - turn the knobs - have fun - turn the knobs some more - keep playing. Oh this is amazing.

Cons -
I frankly do not have any - if I have to really come with some - as no product can ever be perfect as we consumers are greedy.
1 - I really wish there was some sort of metronome/drum machine type of feature in here. It would have made life super simple. Currently I have to get my iPad going with the audio interface to get some drum simulations on the side. If they existed in this pedal this was it. Just absolute dream, but I understand every single feature imaginable can't be packed in a single device.
2 - This is a continuation of the first point & not really a con, but more wishful thinking again - almost all beginners will have some sort of tuner, either the clip on one, or maybe a pedal tuner like Korg. So I wish in the future Line 6 gives us an option to remove the tuner & run a drum machine instead. I really feel as a beginner - this is all you really need then.
LOL - GREED.

This is my first Line 6 product, I have only in the past played around with a bunch of preamps & kept the DSM for it's simplicity & ability to produce incredible sounds without much tinkering. As far as multi effects go - I think this one is going to stick around for a while. Kudos team Line 6, @Digital Igloo , amazing product for a beginner to get a taste of the pie.
Welcome! Excellent first post! We’re glad to have you here. This place is extremely laid back with a bunch of really cool people.

As a self-proclaimed bass hack, I’ve been curious about the POD Express Bass myself. I look forward to hearing more of your experiences with it.

I look forward to hearing more of your experiences with it
@norminal - really doubt my impressions will be worth much - as I have "literally" nothing else to compare these with.

Here is a thought for your opinions - as I am making this post. I have been considering the possibility of adding a PE Guitar - before the PE Bass & have even more effects. This allows me to -

1 - Have both MOD & Delay at the same time - which the PE bass doesn't allow.
2 - Have reverb
3 - Have the MOD/Delay part of the PE bass as a looper only section, so I have all effects going into the looper.
4 - Play around with some guitar cabs? Maybe?
5 - Have 6 distortion pedals to play with.

You think this is doable or am I missing something critical? Again please do consider - I am a beginner with pedals, so for me things like where in effects chain the pedal is sitting & a few other "pro" features don't really matter that much. I am just exploring pedal sounds & this seems like a way cheaper option than trying out lets say - 4 different reverb pedals.

Hi,

My chain -

Pros -

Cons -
LOL - GREED.

1000044593.jpg

Hi,

My chain -

Pros -

Cons -
LOL - GREED.

Welcome!

As a semi-bassist, i can give you one piece of advice. Don't use effects. No because they're not awesome, they are. But a hack guitar player will absolutely ruin his bands songs by applying effects in a hack way. Raise the amount of "ruin" exponentially, and that's what happens when the bass player does this

Depending how much of a beginner you are, focus on sitting solidly in the mix, in the groove, with half your energy. The other half can be on creativity. Once you have bands asking you to play with them again, then you can try introducing an effect or two. Compressor is a great one for basses.

For metronome, the two best pedals are digitech sdrum or Singular Sound Beatbuddy. With the former, you create the groove (it's really cool), the latter has tons of beats to choose from

Welcome!

As a semi-bassist, i can give you one piece of advice. Don't use effects. No because they're not awesome, they are. But a hack guitar player will absolutely ruin his bands songs by applying effects in a hack way. Raise the amount of "ruin" exponentially, and that's what happens when the bass player does this

Depending how much of a beginner you are, focus on sitting solidly in the mix, in the groove, with half your energy. The other half can be on creativity. Once you have bands asking you to play with them again, then you can try introducing an effect or two. Compressor is a great one for basses.

For metronome, the two best pedals are digitech sdrum or Singular Sound Beatbuddy. With the former, you create the groove (it's really cool), the latter has tons of beats to choose from
Sound advice - indeed. However, I am a bedroom player light years away from being a band member. At most I am jamming with a couple of friends (beginners too) who want to play 'stand by me' all the time. So my fingers are a bit itchy playing the same notes. I want to add a little salt on the chocolate :)

To not derail the thread on my account, I would go back to the fact that the Pod Express is a great way for any beginner to understand and enjoy effects in a non-daunting way. I have ordered the Pod Express Guitar as well, with a waiting time of almost a month I have enough time at hand to run through the PE bass :) Hoping this will be a killer combo :)
Cheers

Sound advice - indeed. However, I am a bedroom player light years away from being a band member. At most I am jamming with a couple of friends (beginners too) who want to play 'stand by me' all the time. So my fingers are a bit itchy playing the same notes. I want to add a little salt on the chocolate :)

To not derail the thread on my account, I would go back to the fact that the Pod Express is a great way for any beginner to understand and enjoy effects in a non-daunting way. I have ordered the Pod Express Guitar as well, with a waiting time of almost a month I have enough time at hand to run through the PE bass :) Hoping this will be a killer combo :)
Cheers
My only concern with your idea (and maybe someone with any experience with the pedals can confirm/deny) is that I'm not sure if you can bypass the amp sim on the pedals? This means you might be running a guitar amp + effects into a bass amp + effects. Might still sound cool but something to consider :D

My only concern with your idea (and maybe someone with any experience with the pedals can confirm/deny) is that I'm not sure if you can bypass the amp sim on the pedals? This means you might be running a guitar amp + effects into a bass amp + effects. Might still sound cool but something to consider :D
You can shut the amp & cab sim off.

Cheers
An update as this is still relevant to the topic I guess.

1 - I have cancelled the plan & order for the PE guitar
2 - I realised whenever I run the Mod/delay with the amp/cab simulation off on PE going into my DSM preamp, it sounds really strange & not nice. However removing DSM from the picture it's all groovy gravy.
3 - So Manual - stumbled upon the signal chain - Page,22 (that I somehow skipped, actually I blame Page 11 :p).
4 - Then a bit of forum & youtube spirals.

***Well "apparently" - I got to eat my words above and swallow them with a bit of shame on the side -
"I am a beginner with pedals, so for me things like where in effects chain the pedal is sitting & a few other "pro" features don't really matter that much"

Apparently it does matter. So my plan of PE G to PE Bass won't work from the looks of it - I am no expert but that is what I have understood. SO I guess yeah that is that.

Anyhow keep playing!
Cheers!

Last edited:
An update as this is still relevant to the topic I guess.

1 - I have cancelled the plan & order for the PE guitar
2 - I realised whenever I run the Mod/delay with the amp/cab simulation off on PE going into my DSM preamp, it sounds really strange & not nice. However removing DSM from the picture it's all groovy gravy.
3 - So Manual - stumbled upon the signal chain - Page,22 (that I somehow skipped, actually I blame Page 11 :p).
4 - Then a bit of forum & youtube spirals.

***Well "apparently" - I got to eat my words above and swallow them with a bit of shame on the side -
"I am a beginner with pedals, so for me things like where in effects chain the pedal is sitting & a few other "pro" features don't really matter that much"

Apparently it does matter. So my plan of PE G to PE Bass won't work from the looks of it - I am no expert but that is what I have understood. SO I guess yeah that is that.

Anyhow keep playing!
Cheers!
Welcome to the forum! Good for you to experiment, and keep that up.
A lot of bassists love the HX Stomp, and since the PE is working for you, you may want to consider the Stomp to get all the guitar and bass effects in one package. One caveat about the Stomp is that it comes with a curse where if you sell it, you’re doomed to a strange fate where you wind up re-buying it… twice.

Back