Let's see the tiny low wattage tube amps you love

jellodog

Rock Star
Yes tiny tube amps you love. [EDIT: thread title was originally "5 watts or lower"]

What is low wattage? Not sure, but let's say at least single digit wattage anyway 🔎

TGF currently loves big iron, MESA, Soldano, huge Marshalls and 🤘 CHUGS 🤘. So I'm expecting tumbleweeds...

But surprise me! Let's celebrate those tiny amps!

Julian Lage.jpg

Julian Lage yesterday, plugged into a pool table, next to his tiny amp.

I'll go first. Happy NAD to me: Wooly Coats Spanky Jr by 3rd Power.

I have to say, when I saw that this amp came with a high sensitivity WGS ET10 with 100 dB SPL, I didn't expect to enjoy the speaker at low volumes and I was right - there just seemed to be too much mids, volume and brightness for my taste at a modest living room volume, which is not ideal for this speaker.

The ET10 would likely be great after a little break in, and I bet it fills out and sounds better at volume. Would really help with a small bar or coffee shop gig. I trust 3rd Power to make good choices; I just want at least 3 dB less. I'd guess the ET10 was chosen for tight solid bass and to ensure that this 5w amp is surprisingly loud. Other people would love the stock speaker, I'm sure.

I put in a much lower sensitivity Fat Jimmy C1025. I immediately liked the amp a lot more and could raise the volume higher to a sweeter spot. I may try the ET10 again sometime.

spanky_jr_web.jpg

I put a Gold Lion 12AX7 into V1 which smoothed out the highs and added harmonic content. There was a MESA STR-12AX7-A in there before; probably chosen for reliability and low noise. The entire amp is very well built and thoughtfully put together; I respect that.

I swapped the stock JJ 6V6S power tube for an Mullard 6V6-GT. Amp sounded sweeter again.

It's pretty much what I was looking for - some of the qualities of the my Princeton Reverb or some sort of Über Champ, but less power and smaller and lighter again.

Yes, that's a lot of effin' about with the amp.

On the other hand, that's the promise of a single-ended cathode-biased amp like this. You can try out different combinations of tubes to get what you're looking for, and tailor the amp to suit your taste and needs. I'm curious to try a big glass power tube: either a 5881 or a KT66, but I am genuinely happy with it as it is.

If I want the sound of a huge rig, well I can have that in my FM9. I like splitting my time between real amps and that modeller right now. Perhaps the real amps will just keep getting smaller until there's nothing left but the FM9! :LOL:

Maybe I'll pick up a 3w Greer Mini Chief next, and then after that? I dunno. Will probably sell off my analogue hardware at some point, but for now I will enjoy what I've got left.

UPDATE: Tried a 6CA7 + 5AR4 with the Spanky Jr and it sounded great.

Last edited:
@RaceU4her Wow! That Randall!

Peeking through that grill, it's amazing just how much they crammed in there 🤯

I can see that I was wrong to think that people that love chugs would not love tiny 5w amps. I would like to offer an apology for such a stupid assumption 🙇‍♂️

This thread is really not turning out quite how I imagined!

But that's what we love about this forum, so I will embrace it.

Sir... please tell me what you're loving about your Syn1 and perhaps elaborate on its tiny, low wattage qualities whilst you're at it.

You knew it was a lonely road when you turned down this path. I applaud your bravery and stick-to-it-iveness. :beer

@RaceU4her Wow! That Randall!

Peeking through that grill, it's amazing just how much they crammed in there 🤯

I can see that I was wrong to think that people that love chugs would not love tiny 5w amps. I would like to offer an apology for such a stupid assumption 🙇‍♂️

Hey now, we ain't all Chug-a-luggers here.

Saturday Night Live Drinking GIF by Global TV

Are we?? :idk

Some of are sippers of the finer things in life, too.

lucas di grassi drinking GIF by ABB Formula E

This thread is really not turning out quite how I imagined!

But that's what we love about this forum, so I will embrace it.

Sir... please tell me what you're loving about your Syn1 and perhaps elaborate on its tiny, low wattage qualities whilst you're at it.
It’s small, super well thought out, and has a surprising amount of “feel” for just being a preamp, but, yeah, unless you want the conversation to be about things not having only one powertube, that don’t really sound or feel like an amp with only one power tube, but nonetheless are surprisingly good at getting me into a similar emotional headspace, this will be my last post regarding ut in this thread :D

[...] unless you want the conversation to be about things not having only one powertube, that don’t really sound or feel like an amp with only one power tube, but nonetheless are surprisingly good at getting me into a similar emotional headspace, this will be my last post regarding ut in this thread :D

Nononono! Please post more. I want to hear all this sort of stuff. And if that's the way it goes, then all good. We're hanging out here.

You've made a good point though - I think that there is a headspace with these tiny amps for sure; especially within the context of playing at home or noodling from the couch. You've now made me aware of it in a conscious way; but I've been feeling it all along.

There's an "amp cuteness", intimacy and cosiness thing going on; with a modicum of practicality and the simplicity of "this is all I need" for me.

The opposite of the stage and stage volume, I suppose.

Last edited:
My take is that <= 5W amps are in that weird purgatory where they are often too loud for home use, but not always loud enough for stage. On top of that the smaller transformers etc they tend to have will make them have less "oomph" to the sound than a higher powered amp.

I'll take a higher power amp that is power scalable any day.

Back