Let's see the tiny low wattage tube amps you love

Was this something Fender made at some point or boutique? Such a killer rig with the blue pups.
Thanks BG.

No it was custom made for me by a local doctor who worked on and built Fender amps for fun.

As far as I know, it’s the first one ever built.

After posting pics of it years ago, there have been many others who’ve copied its design.

Happy NAD, @jellodog! Looks like a cool and fun amp.

Here’s a 1W JTM I used to have, from the 50th anniversary series.
I really enjoyed this amp at the time.

IMG_5995_Original.jpeg

I feel like every amp has it's sweet spot - I love small amps for smaller rooms and big amps for big rooms or outdoor shows. Kinda like modelers vs tubes, there's no need for mutual exclusivity. These are my lil guys...

Talk about tiny tubes, this thing is adorable until you turn it on, then it sound like a pissed off Marshall! It's crazy how much volume you can get out of this thing thats the size of a pedal. Must be the thimble sized power tubes...
kiaNl5Fh.jpg

Hiwatt Hi-5, 420 Holiday Limited Edition. Its currently half of my wet/dry rig with a tweed Vibrolux, and I'll switch back and forth between the clean/high gain channels. Does not sound like a DR-103, but its a perfect amp for the music room or for jamming with the drummer across the street, cranked wide open. :idk
eaiDyFoh.jpg

I think the Vibro Champs are slightly bigger than 5W, but I've seen a couple others in this thread so...
OIVRuVZh.jpg

I think the Vibro Champs are slightly bigger than 5W, but I've seen a couple others in this thread so...
OIVRuVZh.jpg

Fantastic! I can't believe that you guys are managing to submit smaller and smaller amps!

I thought Vibro-Champs were around 6w? I've changed the overly prescriptive 5w thread title and preamble to accomodate. All are welcome!

Of the 3 amps posted - do you have a favourite?

I’ve only owned 2 that qualify:

THD Univalve. This was “meh”. Cool idea but I never found the tones very inspiring. Kind of flat and dull. But it was super fun to experiment with tubes!

/13 JRT 9/15. This amp was amazing in the 9w setting and it had some massive transformers that kept things tight and gig-able at that setting.

I tended to live in the 15-18w realm as that seemed like the perfect zone for me for gigging level with the kind of tones I wanted

IMG_20230814_171634.jpg

IMG_20230814_221055.jpg

Returned both but liked the sound of dsl1. Would look Uber cool if had matching 1x8'' cabs. In the end I'm a big iron guy, full size amps look and sound just right. Also would like to try evh lbx

My take is that <= 5W amps are in that weird purgatory where they are often too loud for home use, but not always loud enough for stage. On top of that the smaller transformers etc they tend to have will make them have less "oomph" to the sound than a higher powered amp.

I'll take a higher power amp that is power scalable any day.

Oh, you in trouble now, boi. :grin:knit

:LOL:

Home use doesn’t necessarily mean mouse-fart-levels.

If 5w is too loud, you just aren’t in the market for an amplifier tbh. (And there is nothing wrong with that)
It doesn't, but if 5W is too loud, then you could also run a higher powered amp which at least has the features to control its volume vs drive in a more sensible way.

That's another part that I don't like about many of these very low watt amps. The feature set is pared down so far that it's basically "turn it down and use pedals" or "just get a more versatile amp"

I can pretty much guarantee that say a modern 20-100W master volume amp is paradoxically easier to control for volume and tone, regardless of what genre you play.

But I do agree that if you need mouse fart levels, just get a digital modeler and headphones. It will sound better.

It doesn't, but if 5W is too loud, then you could also run a higher powered amp which at least has the features to control its volume vs drive in a more sensible way.

That's another part that I don't like about many of these very low watt amps. The feature set is pared down so far that it's basically "turn it down and use pedals" or "just get a more versatile amp"

I can pretty much guarantee that say a modern 20-100W master volume amp is paradoxically easier to control for volume and tone, regardless of what genre you play.

But I do agree that if you need mouse fart levels, just get a digital modeler and headphones. It will sound better.
Buncha small watt amps with both gain & volume right on this thread...

Buncha small watt amps with both gain & volume right on this thread...
Which are still a minority in the "5W and under" category specifically. Go up to 10+ watts and you start to get the "standard" feature set as defacto.

Fantastic! I can't believe that you guys are managing to submit smaller and smaller amps!

I thought Vibro-Champs were around 6w? I've changed the overly prescriptive 5w thread title and preamble to accomodate. All are welcome!

Of the 3 amps posted - do you have a favourite?
I challenge everyone to find a smaller tube amp than the ZVEX, lol. Tough to call out a favorite, but the Hiwatt definitely gets the most play time of the lil guys.

Back