Opinions on tube amp attenuators

Ibanez_76

Groupie
I am about to buy a tube amp, maybe a combo or head an cab. But I also live in a small house with my family and the volume needs to be low... So how to attentuate the 30w tubeamp best to get the feel&sound down to a level where I can hear my acoustic guitar sound when I play, but also hear that raging sound of a great tube amp thru it's cabinet? There are a lot of options, but which is the best for under 500€ and I can also use reverb or ebay to get a used one. Plus would be if there is a headphone connection. Captor x is a strong contender, but I've heard the actual attentuation side of that is not the best. Any opinnions?

Honestly you are better off buying an amp that just sounds good to you turned down with a good master volume and/or power scaling. Chasing poweramp drive with the goal of low volume is a fool's errand.

Saying this as the fool.

Some amps don't sound right unless you pass a certain threshold ...
You can find an Ironman mini that should work with your 30w poweramp.

What he said, and I own 3 of them (2 x Ironman II & a Fryette Power Station).
What is the best sounding out of those you have tried?

I'm going to get either mezzabarba or redseven for the ultimate rock tone. Redseven actually is 50w head. Mezza is skill 30. Both have plenty of gain, but I'd like to get the sound and feel of OD volume at 12 o'clock to a volume of seven o'clock.

IMO power scaling usually sounds worse than using an attenuator, it really depends on how well it’s implemented. Usually it means at maximum power it sounds great, and everything else is a compromised tone sucked version.

I don’t really like attenuators, but the one built into the react IR was surprisingly useable. I paid about £500 for a used Fryette Powerstation and I think that is by far the best approach.

For lower volume playing I prefer the Power Station primarily because the volume pot allows you to dial in the output level you want, where the Ironman's attenuation dial has preset attenuation levels that click into place as you turn the knob.

The Power Station is also more useful since it can be used as a stand alone power amp for a modeler or to make a low wattage amp louder.

Cheers

What sort of amplifier are you considering? A lot of them these days have 90% or more of their tone DNA coming from the pre-amp so it's not nearly as much of an issue than say trying to tame a Fender Twin and still retain it's big bottle tones.

I thought about an attenuator/load box for my MT15 because at its lowest settings it's still to damn loud, but since it gets most of its mojo from the preamp, sticking something in the loop with a volume knob works just fine unless I'm trying to drive the clean channel into power tube distortion. Splitting the signal with an IR after the preamp sounded about just as good in recordings as the a.mp in the room.

My EVH Stealth 50w seems to not need it at all because the volume knob taper is much nicer than the MT15.

sticking something in the loop with a volume knob works just fine

Indeed!
One of the best bang for the buck guitar toys you'll ever purchase.
Always goes last in the loop chain.
FX loop send > pedal #1 > pedal #2 > etc. > BLACK AMP BOX > FX loop return.

Indeed!
One of the best bang for the buck guitar toys you'll ever purchase.
Always goes last in the loop chain.
FX loop send > pedal #1 > pedal #2 > etc. > BLACK AMP BOX > FX loop return.

I'd never pay that much for a potentiometer and a couple of I/O jacks personally.

Worth it for some to get the nice enclosure and for it to look pro sitting on top of your amp.
But ya, you could make one for $10-15. Just be sure to get the right volume taper pot.
Or if you have an old volume or EQ pedal laying around, that'll work too. I have an old VFX volume pedal that, at this point, only works well for this kind of application.

At the moment I run 4CM with my HX Stomp and use the master volume in that. Yeah, plenty more expensive than a LBB but I already had it!

What sort of amplifier are you considering? A lot of them these days have 90% or more of their tone DNA coming from the pre-amp so it's not nearly as much of an issue than say trying to tame a Fender Twin and still retain it's big bottle tones.
Mezzabarba skill30 or redseven duality50 at the moment, maybe fortin sigil 20 is a possibility too

Mezzabarba skill30 or redseven duality50 at the moment, maybe fortin sigil 20 is a possibility too
With that kind of amps you might not have to crank the poweramp but the sweet spot is still 2-3/10 which is pretty loud!
I have a Mesa Express 5:50+ and with my attenuator I hear absolutely no difference adjusting the power amp past 4/10 ... but at that point it is very loud even on the 10w setting. On the opposite my 2555 sounds like shit before 6-7/10 and after that it only improves. As you can imagine it’s unbearable loud at that point without an attenuator.

Unbearably loud as in it would probably blow out the windows...

Mezzabarba skill30.

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

I use one of these:

1708798734670.png

And re-amp it through one of these:

1708798824695.png

Then straight into a 1 x 12 cabinet loaded with one of these:

1708798938918.png

Those are master volume, preamp gain based amps. They might not even sound better cranked.

The thing you are after is most likely the effect of volume on our perception and there is nothing that can do that except play at louder volume.

Instead of trying to get good tone through a guitar cab at conversation level volume, I've started using a reactive load box and then running that into an IR and FR-10 or studio monitors. Still early in that process, but for me, it offers the advantage of tube amp "feel", but keeps the volume in check.

Back