NAD - Mesa Dual Rectifier Multi-Watt - I have tube n00b questions

deathbyguitar

Roadie
PXL_20231217_045320283.jpg

Snagged this head and cab combo on Facebook marketplace last night for $1300. Been playing Recto amp sims for years so getting the real thing was on my bucket list for sure. It's also my first tube amp so it's a whole new world for me.

The amp was in pretty good condition from what I could tell. However, after playing it for quite a bit today, I noticed that the Red channel in Modern mode sounds kinda woofy and undefined while no such issue exists with the Orange channel in Modern.

The date on the chassis indicates that it was made in 2012 and I have no idea when/if the original owner ever changed the tubes. I'm also hearing a bit of rattle from one of the rectifier tubes. Given that the Red channel sounds kinda weird right now and the rattling power tube thing, would it be a good idea just to go ahead and re-tube the thing and keep the current tubes as backups? Anything else I should examine? Assume I know nothing about tube amps.

Thanks!

The dual rec is a tricky amp imo. Not sure what genre you gravitate to but anything metal or even rock will need some sort of boost.

Look up the mesa manual as they give you some starter settings to try. It's a very bass heavy amp so keep that in mind! It's very versatile and when dialed in right, sounds killer.

It might not hurt to retube. If you get mesa tubes they should just be plug in and go.

The dual rec is a tricky amp imo. Not sure what genre you gravitate to but anything metal or even rock will need some sort of boost.

Look up the mesa manual as they give you some starter settings to try. It's a very bass heavy amp so keep that in mind! It's very versatile and when dialed in right, sounds killer.

It might not hurt to retube. If you get mesa tubes they should just be plug in and go.

Yeah I went ahead and got a Maxon OD-808 tonight which definitely helps. I've been using Recto models in the Axe-FX for 10 or so years so I feel like I have a good idea of how one should sound. I think this one just needs a little TLC. I'll start with tubes and see what happens.

Maybe take it to a reputable tech to get a assessment of the condition of the electronics of the amp, and they can suggest you if anything needs to be changed?

The tubescreamer into recto thing sounds like diarrhea. I swear it’s one of those internet wisdom remnants that just won’t die. Yes…it tightens the low end, and ruins everything else.

Try an EQ pedal up front - you can cut the lows, boost specifically what you want in the midrange and top end, and avoid making a very cool amp sound like something an old digitech processor coughed up.

I think considering what you paid for it, its worth giving it a once over from a tech and some new valves. Will be worth it in the long run, even if its fine.
Pro tip right here. Protect your investment and get the peace of mind knowing it’s operating correctly. That price was an absolute steal.

While I absolutely agree with Mirror, Recto's can be a bit funny/awkward to get the hang of. Figuring out how to nail the 'I don't want the flub, I want the cut" can usually be resolved with a boost, but I always had a bitch of a time on the 3-channels getting it just right. You can slap a boost on a 5150 and get where you want to go in about 5 seconds, Recto's can take 5 days. :rofl

The Red channel on my Multi Watt is also woofy, even with a boost pedal that cuts lows from the guitar.

I love the amp but I basically never touch the Red channel. If you want modern tight high gain tones, put your favorite boost into the Orange Modern mode and you're there all day long and then some.

The tubescreamer into recto thing sounds like diarrhea. I swear it’s one of those internet wisdom remnants that just won’t die. Yes…it tightens the low end, and ruins everything else.

Try an EQ pedal up front - you can cut the lows, boost specifically what you want in the midrange and top end, and avoid making a very cool amp sound like something an old digitech processor coughed up.
Resident Recto geek here - while I agree in concept with the EQ pedal up front as these amps only need a clean boost, your first comment shows you probably haven’t had much experience with these amps. Almost every recording of rectifiers ever has an OD up front. Reference the thread on this forum with all the songs over the years with rectos on them, 99% have a tube screamer variant out front on these recordings.

Rectifiers absolutely 100% come to life when you put an OD out front. Unless you’re using active pickups and still going for a sludgy sound, the amp needs one. Just as a quick reference:

Unless you’re using active pickups and still going for a sludgy sound, the amp needs one
I don't agree with this, but I do love the sound of a boosted recto. I think there is a narrative online that they are ONLY useful with a boost in front and I think that isn't doing the amp justice. So many people boost it without really considering if it needs it. Time and place for it, and it is a great sound. But there are killer sounds in them without, just depending on how you dial it in and what youre going for.

These clips were without a TS (not saying you wouldn't prefer them with one, but I think they work well without):

The Rev F I played definitely needed an OD in front. Sounded like a blues amp without it!!!

The Multiwatt doesn't need a boost, but it sounds good with one. The trick is to not dial the amp in without a boost, and then throw the boost on after. Instead, dial it in with the boost already active. You'll end up boosting the bass on the channel a bit, and cutting the mids and treble a bit more than you usually would, and the presence too. But it does sound KILLURHHH!

Resident Recto geek here - while I agree in concept with the EQ pedal up front as these amps only need a clean boost, your first comment shows you probably haven’t had much experience with these amps. Almost every recording of rectifiers ever has an OD up front. Reference the thread on this forum with all the songs over the years with rectos on them, 99% have a tube screamer variant out front on these recordings.

Rectifiers absolutely 100% come to life when you put an OD out front. Unless you’re using active pickups and still going for a sludgy sound, the amp needs one.
Bad assumptions all over. Not sure where to start here.

I owned a rev G Rectifier from 1997 to 2009 and used it as my primary amp in rehearsal and gig settings. I’m beyond familiar with the circuit, how it works, what it can do, and how it interacts with other gear.

Now, about the boost/OD/EQ - the effective element you get from something like a Tubescreamer into a Rectifier isn’t the extra clipping, it’s the aggressive low end cut and the post EQ volume boost. IMO the clipping actually works against you as it’s adding compression to an already very compressed amp. In other words, the EQ can do what the OD does without dumping all your dynamics. Drop the low frequency sliders, pump up the others, have at it.

Glad you found something that works for you though.

The absolute best way to get that red channel punchy & mean that screams is the Fortin Grind.
You can dial that thing in on point with
the Mark IV channel 3.
Never been a fan of tube screamer mid hump weird boosting with Recto’s.

Bad assumptions all over. Not sure where to start here.

I owned a rev G Rectifier from 1997 to 2009 and used it as my primary amp in rehearsal and gig settings. I’m beyond familiar with the circuit, how it works, what it can do, and how it interacts with other gear.

Now, about the boost/OD/EQ - the effective element you get from something like a Tubescreamer into a Rectifier isn’t the extra clipping, it’s the aggressive low end cut and the post EQ volume boost. IMO the clipping actually works against you as it’s adding compression to an already very compressed amp. In other words, the EQ can do what the OD does without dumping all your dynamics. Drop the low frequency sliders, pump up the others, have at it.

Glad you found something that works for you though.

It's a pretty loose amp for heavy metal. I wouldn't call it compressed at all unless you're really pushing the gain knob past where it really should be. As a metal player it's one of the loosest amps I've ever played. But those kinds of amps are usually the best for metal because you can hit them with an OD of some kind up front and really make them grind. I've found it to be best with the gain at about noon or 1 and then hit it hard with level up front using your boost of choice.

Last edited:
It's a pretty loose amp for heavy metal. I wouldn't call it compressed at all unless you're really pushing the gain knob past where it really should be. As a metal player it's one of the loosest amps I've ever played. But those kinds of amps are usually the best for metal because you can hit them with an OD of some kind up front and really make them grind. I've found it to be best with the gain at about noon or 1 and then hit it hard with level up front using your boost of choice.
So likely part of our difference of opinion stems from the difference in our application. I’m not playing metal, generally. For tight metal, I’ll gravitate towards my Mark III every time.

If you haven’t, try an EQ some time. Its just another flavor.

Back