Lab Series L5 Liquid Kemper Profiles

No Kemper here, unfortunately, but the L5 is one of my all time favorite amps. So much that I've got two of them, and also an L2 and L11.

Used market sleepers. Btw, prices have definitely come back down a bit. Which is nice. If you spot one for 300 bucks/Euros, grab it. ;)

The L5 is a legendary amp used on some amazing recordings. I never understood its sleeper status. But, I'm glad I'm not sleeping on it :)

It was solid state at a time when solid state had a TERRIBLE reputation in guitar circles. Plus Gibson did a really weird advertising push. Could you imagine 3 more disparate players? Who were they marketing to?

Lab%20Serie%20Amp.jpg

1978-gibson-lab-series-ronnie-montroseS.jpg

1979-Lab-SeriesS.jpg

I’ve always wanted to check one of these out. It’s funny Ty Tabor used to be embarrassed about using them.
Yep I saw them touring the fourth album at a club in Nashville. He had cut the combos down to heads and put black tape over the L5 on the faceplate. He complained about the rig being noisey as well. That night it wasn’t and man his tone was unreal even live.

I’ve still got a head that I cut down out of a L5 combo that my Dad and did I together. Also have the L5 preamp pedal made by a builder up in Chicago.

I’m a bit of a fan.

Last edited:
Yep I saw them touring the fourth album at a club in Nashville.

Gretchen, Ear Candy, and Bulbous tours here. Seeing them live is an experience that's nearly impossible to describe. You have to attend a show to get it. Funny, I gigged an L5 in the late 70s/early 80s (speakers replaced with EVs) long before I'd ever heard of KX. The guitarist in a band a few towns over that we did a few shows with had an L11? which I think was the 4 x 10 version. Back then they were just affordable and sounded really good with the built in parametric mid control.

Crazy, after Gretchen and everyone being blown away by Ty's tone all of the sudden Lab Series became this mythical thing. Funny, I don't remember mine ever sounding like this!

Honestly, I didn't know any of the LAB Series back story when I got my first L5 in 2008.

I was on a tight budget and needed something to fill in for a damaged 1994 Twin Amp, when I stumbled upon a rough-looking L5 in a local used instruments store.

It was 250€, and when I asked them, the shop owner started going on about how it's some crazy good thing from the 70's that everyone forgot about, and basically a piece of history.

I plugged it in and it sounded just LOVELY. ❤️

PS: They were really expensive when they came out, at least over here.

I owned a L7 410 combo for a while, back in the late 80's. To me, it was a generic amp that needed pedals to sound like a rock amp.
If I owned it today, I'd know better what its purpose was. Young and dumb.
Anything between clean and a thick/woolly, even slightly fuzzy drive is possible with these, and if you use the parametric mids and compressor (actually it's rather a limiter and needs higher volumes to work correctly) wisely, you can nail a good number of different amp sounds. The hi/lo inputs also sound vastly different.

Gretchen, Ear Candy, and Bulbous tours here. Seeing them live is an experience that's nearly impossible to describe. You have to attend a show to get it. Funny, I gigged an L5 in the late 70s/early 80s (speakers replaced with EVs) long before I'd ever heard of KX. The guitarist in a band a few towns over that we did a few shows with had an L11? which I think was the 4 x 10 version. Back then they were just affordable and sounded really good with the built in parametric mid control.

Crazy, after Gretchen and everyone being blown away by Ty's tone all of the sudden Lab Series became this mythical thing. Funny, I don't remember mine ever sounding like this!

Yeah you have to run the amp in a certain way by running into the low input on channel 2 for the most gain which isn’t intuitive. Then the boost on both tone knobs built into those Fender Elite pickups play a big part. I tried to ape his tone for years in the 80’s and 90’s but a lot is in his hands. Ty sounds like Ty but Ty into that rig is something a bit more special.

Anything between clean and a thick/woolly, even slightly fuzzy drive is possible with these, and if you use the parametric mids and compressor (actually it's rather a limiter and needs higher volumes to work correctly) wisely, you can nail a good number of different amp sounds. The hi/lo inputs also sound vastly different.
I had no idea what I was doing. Revisionist history shows me keeping many pieces of gear that I did not appreciate.

60's Dual Showman w/2x15 cab
Pre CBS fender Mustang
Guild SD-300D - can't believe I bought and sold it for <$250. Prices through the roof, now.

So the LAB was one more piece that was underappreciated in my youth. A lot of us have these stories. Now in my 60's, I really think twice about what I want to get rid of.

Yep. It's been a while, but if I recall correctly Ty's tone was kind of a stars aligning thing due to the mid range boost circuit of his Elite Strat, pairing the L5 with a Marshall cab, and IIRC the L5 was actually broken.

Back