Just bought a Fryette LX. Thanks Whizz!

(jJust go back to your Badlander.)

Just Do It Its Simple GIF by Kubb&co

@JiveTurkey Quick check, I have the Output 3 knob dimed on the AxeFX, which is what I run to the LX. I always dime the physical Output3 knob on the AxeFX when running to both the LX and Jazz Chorus. I only looked at one preset and it looks like I have all the block outputs at their defaults, this is getting me two green bars displaying on the Axe faceplate and about -24db on the Output block meters in Edit. To get the faceplate meter to go into the yellow I have to pump the output block up about +15db, (which got it to about -10 to -12 in the output block meter) and with the LX volume at noon it’s fucking loud. :ROFLMAO:

For shits and giggles I turned the LX up to 3 o’clock (keeping the Output block set to around +15/16db to keep the faceplate tickling the yellow) and my balls tried to crawl back into my asshole. I’d have to play at a pretty damn large venue with a 5-piece to get that loud. I was expecting my buddy down the block to start sending me song requests. :ROFLMAO:

What’s your cab setup JT? My test was with the 412 full stack of doom, which doesn’t hurt either for holy shit volume levels. lol
This is one of the most informative and entertaining posts I have read in a hot minute.
Austin Powers Movie GIF

@JiveTurkey Quick check, I have the physical Output 3 knob dimed on the AxeFX, which is what I run to the LX. I always dime the physical Output3 knob on the AxeFX when running to both the LX and Jazz Chorus. I only looked at one preset and it looks like I have all the block outputs at their defaults, this is getting me two green bars displaying on the Axe faceplate and about -24db on the Output block meters in Edit. To get the faceplate meter to go into the yellow I have to pump the output block up about +15db, (which got it to about -10 to -12 in the output block meter) and with the LX volume at noon it’s fucking loud. :ROFLMAO:

For shits and giggles I turned the LX up to 3 o’clock (keeping the Output block set to around +15/16db to keep the faceplate tickling the yellow) and my balls tried to crawl back into my asshole. I’d have to play at a pretty damn large venue with a 5-piece to get that loud. I was expecting my buddy down the block to start sending me song requests. :ROFLMAO:

What’s your cab setup JT? My test was with the 412 full stack of doom, which doesn’t hurt either for holy shit volume levels. lol
No worries honey, it’s not the fire alarm…just my tinnitus.

@JiveTurkey Quick check, I have the physical Output 3 knob dimed on the AxeFX, which is what I run to the LX. I always dime the physical Output3 knob on the AxeFX when running to both the LX and Jazz Chorus. I

It's funny that you should use Output 3, because that only does "unity gain" so it's not as loud as outputs 1 & 2 at +4 dB. And yet you still found it to be loud AF!

It's funny that you should use Output 3, because that only does "unity gain" so it's not as loud as outputs 1 & 2 at +4 dB. And yet you still found it to be loud AF!

Yup, which is why I dime the physical output knob.

IMO for JT the bridged mode isnt setup right on the LX, there is some cab/impedance issue, or the levels are off on the Frac preset. I had that sucker cooking at blood curdling levels.

JT, have you emailed Fryette to make sure your setup is good? They have been awesome the handful of times ive reached out with questions. (And you’d already have a line of comms open if they suspect some sort of unit fault)

Afaik the Axe-Fx 3 has considerably more output than the FM series on the main outputs, not sure about Out 3/4 though.

If in the US, I'd probably try calling Fryette rather than emailing them.

I've given up on the company because they will just stop answering emails out of the blue even though the issue is not solved, for example when I was asking about having a low hum on the PS-100 at 130-180 Hz when they said "it must be ground hum at 120 Hz". When I said it's at a higher frequency range they never replied back. Same deal trying to get schematics from them to my tech to fix the amp when it failed.

Thanks for all the suggestions, people. I'm going to try and take time tonight (if I can invent some) to try and sort this a bit better. I am probably going to grab my SY on the way home from work and do a little compare contrast.

FINALLY got some time to give a proper run through and compare.

The FM is comparatively quiet, no matter what. The F12s are great in isolation (when not comparing them to anything "real"). The LXII is loud af but I have to absolutely CRANK the output stage of the FM to a place where I don't feel comfortable to feel like I am getting 100 watts out of this thing.

I ran the Stealth preamp out into the LX. Comparatively LOUD as fucking fuck. I think I like the Stealth with it's own 50w power amp more than the Stealth pre through the LX if I am being honest. The Stealth through the G12H30s is the best. Insert "Told Yall" self spoiler again.

Only thing I will say on the Stealth is it is hard as hell to find a good in between channel. AKA there isn't one. Clean with FX is gorgeous but pretty strident when dry. Red with gain just above zero and mids cranked is a better crunch to my ears and then crack that blue gain up for more saturated tone.

At this point; I'd rather send the LX packing in trade for something else that I am not quite sure what it would be.

The FM is comparatively quiet, no matter what. The F12s are great in isolation (when not comparing them to anything "real"). The LXII is loud af but I have to absolutely CRANK the output stage of the FM to a place where I don't feel comfortable to feel like I am getting 100 watts out of this thing.

I ran the Stealth preamp out into the LX. Comparatively LOUD as fucking fuck. I think I like the Stealth with it's own 50w power amp more than the Stealth pre through the LX if I am being honest. The Stealth through the G12H30s is the best. Insert "Told Yall" self spoiler again.

Only thing I will say on the Stealth is it is hard as hell to find a good in between channel. AKA there isn't one. Clean with FX is gorgeous but pretty strident when dry. Red with gain just above zero and mids cranked is a better crunch to my ears and then crack that blue gain up for more saturated tone.

At this point; I'd rather send the LX packing in trade for something else that I am not quite sure what it would be.
dat Roland-ready Bacchus...

You ever email Fryette? I still feel like something is off if you can’t get the LX + Cab to slap. I cranked mine back up to pummel volume this afternoon. Granted that’s with the Axe but would the output be that significantly different with an FM?

I’m going to shoot the Axe/LX out vs the JVM tomorrow for “science”. :ROFLMAO:

Back