Just bought a Fryette LX. Thanks Whizz!

You ever email Fryette? I still feel like something is off if you can’t get the LX + Cab to slap. I cranked mine back up to pummel volume this afternoon. Granted that’s with the Axe but would the output be that significantly different with an FM?

I’m going to shoot the Axe/LX out vs the JVM tomorrow for “science”. :ROFLMAO:
I did not. It's in the FM levels. It's punishing with a different preamp driving it. I'm sure I could futz around a bunch more with it but I'm not sure I care to.

I'd almost like to channel these funds into a pedalboard build to use with an amp. I've got some great drives and a wah or 3 but nothing else :unsure:

I'd almost like to channel these funds into a pedalboard build to use with an amp. I've got some great drives and a wah or 3 but nothing else :unsure:
Just leave room on that pedalboard for the JVM foot switch
do all the good you can hillary clinton GIF by Democratic National Convention

I did not. It's in the FM levels. It's punishing with a different preamp driving it. I'm sure I could futz around a bunch more with it but I'm not sure I care to.

Sounds like the FM is not outputting true line level signal for some reason. The solution would probably be a mic preamp to go between the FM and the power amp, something simple like a Rolls MP13 or Presonus TubePre would probably do it, but since we know that power amp days are counted, get a JVM.

This is it - I've found all my digital gear to be substantially quieter than analog preamps. The worst was the quad cortex in that respect. The FM *can* get loud enough to match, but what you may need to do is use output 1 instead of 2 with a TRS -> TS and at an almost clipping level. If you measure the voltage of the output (use the looper or something) and you can get it up to around 1V then that's about on par with line level / the analog stuff - you can verify by measuring the 5150 preamp out. Generally I've found most of my digital is about half that when I've got it set with "reasonable" headroom. Right now I use an MXR 10 band after my dimehead pedal and push it up 8-10 dB into the LXII.

It's a frustrating issue I've had with every modeler -> power amp situation with a loud band. Either you need way overpowered amps or you need to crank the level as hot as you can.

For the Frac-heads, out of curiosity, other than it looking weird, what’s wrong with cranking the level in the output block as long as it’s not clipping? If that’s what it takes to get JT’s output on par with his analog preamp hitting the same power amp, it’s not damaging anything since the power amp is getting hit that hard by the preamp. It’s just a psychological thing about setting the output block level high on the FM3?

For the Frac-heads, out of curiosity, other than it looking weird, what’s wrong with cranking the level in the output block as long as it’s not clipping? If that’s what it takes to get JT’s output on par with his analog preamp hitting the same power amp, it’s not damaging anything since the power amp is getting hit that hard by the preamp. It’s just a psychological thing about setting the output block level high on the FM3?
Nothing - but the thing to look out for is the actual output meter on the utility menu (not just the preset output block). It won't clip until that green meter actually hits the top, no matter what the output block reads

Nothing - but the thing to look out for is the actual output meter on the utility menu (not just the preset output block). It won't clip until that green meter actually hits the top, no matter what the output block reads

Is the faceplate output meter on the Axe the same as the meter you see in the utility menu?

Is the faceplate output meter on the Axe the same as the meter you see in the utility menu?

That I have no idea actually - I would guess so but it'll be harder to judge the level. My FM3 doesn't have it but does have red clip lights which do not always indicate audible clipping.

@JiveTurkey Which output are you using on the FM3 to drive the power amp?

Output 1 or Output 2 ?

And if you're using Output 2, is it configured as "Output 2 copy Output 1" ?

Last edited:
That I have no idea actually - I would guess so but it'll be harder to judge the level. My FM3 doesn't have it but does have red clip lights which do not always indicate audible clipping.

That’s ultimately what I’m wondering. If none of the metering indicates an issue or clipping, then what is the actual problem with having the output turned up, beyond the psychological effect that something must be “wrong” by doing so. I mean the LX doesn’t care what’s sending it a signal or how, so if cranking the FM’s output to match the output that an analog preamp would send, doesn’t seem like it would be an issue from the power amps perspective.

Back