Just bought a Fryette LX. Thanks Whizz!

Between 75-80% It's gotta be either the LX has an issue or I am gain staging my FM3 preset all wrong. Like I said; the level meter at the output is barely every giving up the initial glimpse of red.

Yeah. Weird.

Unless you guys have an absolute bone/soul-crushing stage volume it makes no sense
that you wouldn't be able to hear yourself.

But you say a similar sort of thing is happening with the FM3/Stealth pairing, too?? :idk

Yeah. Weird.

Unless you guys have an absolute bone/soul-crushing stage volume it makes no sense
that you wouldn't be able to hear yourself.

But you say a similar sort of thing is happening with the FM3/Stealth pairing, too?? :idk
The FM and the Fender FR are in that same boat. Not quite loud enough in a band mix. It's probably me giving too much credence to the level meter in the FM. Ugh.

The FM and the Fender FR are in that same boat. Not quite loud enough in a band mix. It's probably me giving too much credence to the level meter in the FM. Ugh.
Its not like you're worried about sending a massively clipped kick drum out to FOH or something, so I would say use your ears more than the meters as the final arbiter of whether you've pushed the FM output knob too far. Use a clean tone and keep turning it up as long as it continues to sound clean.

I still also wonder about the inherent phase cancellation with both guitarists and
their rigs being in such close proximity to one another. :unsure:Especially if your tones
are similar---or even remotely close in occupying the same frequencies.

Maybe you need an honky mid-centric Rhoads/May/Ronson tone, JT. :banana

:rofl

Do you guys rehearse with the same volume/setup, JT? Anyway to get this
sorted before the next gig?

Anyway to get this
sorted before the next gig?
Where there's a will, there's a way

spinal tap GIF

Update. See hyperbolic thread from yesterday or Saturday or whentfever.

LX at home is godlike. LX at the gig was not godlike. Not near loud enough for a 100 watt amp with the FM at least. 2 space rack is fine but it kind of hangs in the balance as well given it's here because I thought the LX would peel paint and it really doesn't. With the FM at least.

I am at a crossroads. I could go Synergy and hope that it somehow operates at a much louder level than the FM does. Or I could dump it and stick with the Stealth. Which isn't loud enough either with the FM.

I am running the output levels at 0 to where it just hits the red threshold but not louder. I could bump it up a few db into the occasional red but that seems like not a good idea. Good amount of $ to be tied up in something.
Weird….
Do you have a way to meter the output of the FM and verify if it outputs a decent level? (Maybe a line I out of an audio interface…or a mixer?)

Weird….
Do you have a way to meter the output of the FM and verify if it outputs a decent level? (Maybe a line I out of an audio interface…or a mixer?)
I had the same thought to eliminate the signal coming into the LX being too low. Also maybe in bridge mode using the wrong input on the back? Just spit balling

Something has to be off with the gain staging in the preset and/or global controls. (Barring some physical fault on the unit or downstream) It’s got the juice, and I’ve seen it used in a bunch of digital and synergy rigs. Something must be off with the levels.

Something has to be off with the gain staging in the preset and/or global controls. (Barring some physical fault on the unit or downstream) It’s got the juice, and I’ve seen it used in a bunch of digital and synergy rigs. Something must be off with the levels.
Where are your level meters hitting on the FAS output blocks?

Set the volumes on the FM blocks (AMP, CAB, OUT1, etc.) down very low first, then try turning the volumes on the LX and the FM all the way up and adjusting the output with the FM blocks (AMP, CAB, OUT1, etc.) volumes until it's loud enough.

Also once you get it where you want it, put whichever volume control you are able to most reliably control the output volume with on a Performance Page so you can easily edit that at the Gig instead of using the physical Output knobs.

You are running the modellers at +4 db out ? I think they default to -10 db .

@JiveTurkey Quick check, I have the physical Output 3 knob dimed on the AxeFX, which is what I run to the LX. I always dime the physical Output3 knob on the AxeFX when running to both the LX and Jazz Chorus. I only looked at one preset and it looks like I have all the block outputs at their defaults, this is getting me two green bars displaying on the Axe faceplate and about -24db on the Output block meters in Edit. To get the faceplate meter to go into the yellow I have to pump the output block up about +15db, (which got it to about -10 to -12 in the output block meter) and with the LX volume at noon it’s fucking loud. :ROFLMAO:

For shits and giggles I turned the LX up to 3 o’clock (keeping the Output block set to around +15/16db to keep the faceplate tickling the yellow) and my balls tried to crawl back into my asshole. I’d have to play at a pretty damn large venue with a 5-piece to get that loud. I was expecting my buddy down the block to start sending me song requests. :ROFLMAO:

What’s your cab setup JT? My test was with the 412 full stack of doom, which doesn’t hurt either for holy shit volume levels. lol

Last edited:
Back