Impulse Responses

I just looked in the mirror and said his name three times.
This is how you summon Jay:
  • Guitar speakers are not transducers
  • Speaker and cab systems are completely nonlinear in response and are time-variant
  • IRs must be at least 10 sec long to even begin to capture the response of a cab
  • Close-miguel'd IRs are completely sufficient to prevent the capture of ANY reflections
  • Reflection-free IRs are a myth
  • Since sound travels faster in solid mediums, ground-plane IR measurement captures sound waves through the floor before the ones through the air, causing comb filtering in the final IR
There we go. He'll be here any minute.

I have some Ownhammer and York Audio packs, used ownhammer for a long time.

Since I rarely record stuff these days and I just go straight for Marshall sounds and that's it, I use one IR only and that's a York Audio greenback.

Like the op I've tried a bunch, ML, OH, Redwires... Last two years its been York.
But lately I've grown tired of myself not knowing how it "should" sound, and instead going for how I want it to sound. So in a straight up Jonathan Cordy kind of way I just seem to load up the Helix Ventoux with stock cab and call it a day. Haha... the circle is complete.

Sup guys, second post here!

Man I've been in and out of the IR rabbit hole way to many times. Ownhammer heavy hitters are great. Used the Celestion plus IRs for awhile too. Then I started using vst cabs sims like Celestion SpeakerMix Pro and the GGD Cali. Recently tried York Audio Mesa/Bogna/DV77 ones and really liked those. I may have to grab a few more.

Also recently tried the Mirror Profiles IRs which are really good with nice bottom end for chugs and they have Suhr RL compensated IR's that are eq'd to sound best on a Suhr RL... my only gripe with the mirror ones are there is no quick n easy folder like how York has "Mixes" or how Ownhammer has "A1 Pick".. they do sound good but you have to literally pick the speaker you want (bottom left, bottom right, top left, top right) then choose the mic type. If you have a loader that can load more than one IR at a time you can really dial in some cool shit... but i'm lazy :whistle:

1662199394613.png

Sup guys, second post here!

Man I've been in and out of the IR rabbit hole way to many times. Ownhammer heavy hitters are great. Used the Celestion plus IRs for awhile too. Then I started using vst cabs sims like Celestion SpeakerMix Pro and the GGD Cali. Recently tried York Audio Mesa/Bogna/DV77 ones and really liked those. I may have to grab a few more.

Also recently tried the Mirror Profiles IRs which are really good with nice bottom end for chugs and they have Suhr RL compensated IR's that are eq'd to sound best on a Suhr RL... my only gripe with the mirror ones are there is no quick n easy folder like how York has "Mixes" or how Ownhammer has "A1 Pick".. they do sound good but you have to literally pick the speaker you want (bottom left, bottom right, top left, top right) then choose the mic type. If you have a loader that can load more than one IR at a time you can really dial in some cool s**t... but i'm lazy :whistle:

View attachment 124
Your clips are the best :satan Are these what you've been using lately?

Your clips are the best :satan Are these what you've been using lately?
Thanks dude... I been bouncing between the Yorks and Mirror profiles the last few months. I definitely find the yorks easiest to dial in quickly, Mirror is good too, and sound amazing if you take the time to mix a few of their mics together.

Hughes and Kettner Redbox, which is wired internally to my Grandmeister Deluxe 40 head :p

Back