I’m ready to quit Windows

martial arts nut punch GIF
1725294442710.gif

I’m going to go back to Mac. I just haven’t decided on which to get. I’m probably going to opt for the Logic install even though I’m used to Ableton. I’m thinking of going with the iMac for guitar lessons as it has good camera, speakers and microphone but that may be irrelevant compared to what else is available. I’m pretty sure i don’t want a laptop but could be convinced.

What are you Apple guys using for recording and online lessons?
Logic Pro X. Can't recommend it enough. Stem splitter is amazing too. I recently upgraded to an M3 Max MacBook Pro. Had an M2 Air before, and the performance increase in my music and photo editing apps is ridiculous. Don't have to screw with drivers or anything like that. FWIW, I also run Arturia software for live stuff using a UA Apollo. Zero issues.

But it won't.🤣

:stirthepot
Also, Apple - Microsoft
OSX - Windows

P.S. I use both, and they both have their disadvantages.

Shit, I have a Linux machine too, now that I think about it!!!
I started with a Commodore 128. :LOL:
I used Windows 98 on a Dual Apple G4 back in the day, through Bootcamp. It was painful, but I needed it for certain programs.
Mac user since 2000, before that was a Dell and Gateway I think.

I started with a Commodore 128. :LOL:
I used Windows 98 on a Dual Apple G4 back in the day, through Bootcamp. It was painful, but I needed it for certain programs.
Mac user since 2000, before that was a Dell and Gateway I think.
We sound a lot alike.
I love macs.....but I don't like the hardware control side, I understand it...but like to make my own choices....which is why I also enjoy other OSs.

I've used computers since before DOS.....
But never been really cared about brands.

It's cool that apple develops it's own silicon now, but would have preferred that to the adoption of Intel and windows after power PC.

I didn't like the Intel period, and then the prices became ridiculous, and I'm a cheap SOB.

I was just being silly as I like to poke this particular bear ....as the discussion can be a bit silly, and as said before... familiarity and personal preference play into more than anything, especially now.

In the industrial world, barely anything runs on Mac ...and using windows is essential, so being familiar with all types of OS, can actually prove highly valuable in the work force ..shit I was specifically hired for this once
Where it really becomes frustrating, is in the design field...where you will find machines that vary in age and operating systems, and if you know mac...sometimes this can present a lot of issues, especially when there are different software versions used....so Mac can be equally as frustrating as times.

At least with windows, at a corporate level...all workstations are the same...and perform the same....just my 2 nickels....sorry.

We sound a lot alike.
I love macs.....but I don't like the hardware control side, I understand it...but like to make my own choices....which is why I also enjoy other OSs.

I've used computers since before DOS.....
But never been really cared about brands.

It's cool that apple develops it's own silicon now, but would have preferred that to the adoption of Intel and windows after power PC.

I didn't like the Intel period, and then the prices became ridiculous, and I'm a cheap SOB.

I was just being silly as I like to poke this particular bear ....as the discussion can be a bit silly, and as said before... familiarity and personal preference play into more than anything, especially now.

In the industrial world, barely anything runs on Mac ...and using windows is essential, so being familiar with all types of OS, can actually prove highly valuable in the work force ..shit I was specifically hired for this once
Where it really becomes frustrating, is in the design field...where you will find machines that vary in age and operating systems, and if you know mac...sometimes this can present a lot of issues, especially when there are different software versions used....so Mac can be equally as frustrating as times.

At least with windows, at a corporate level...all workstations are the same...and perform the same....just my 2 nickels....sorry.
Luckily my former job of 12yrs we used Macs exclusively, well, our department and a few others anyways. Yeah, there were issues for sure with servers and many other things but I worked with many designers and artists that "required" Apple, if you will. I already loved Mac OS so it worked out great for me. I like to friendly jab too so it's all good. Whatever works, works.

Luckily my former job of 12yrs we used Macs exclusively, well, our department and a few others anyways. Yeah, there were issues for sure with servers and many other things but I worked with many designers and artists that "required" Apple, if you will. I already loved Mac OS so it worked out great for me. I like to friendly jab too so it's all good. Whatever works, works.
fred-flintstone-barney-rubble.gif

I feel exactly the same way about MacOS. It's primarily a question of familiarity.

I also think it’s a matter of a lot of casual Mac users (like myself) use them as single (or primary) use devices. I only turn my Mini on to record and use Logic, which is a deeply integrated first party piece of software, so honestly my experience using it for that one task should be amazing. There are probably a lot of casual Mac users using it in a similar way, which is for one specific task.

I have to deal with a lot of config and performance issues on my PC, but that’s also having to run a lot of bloated and diverse software for work. I’d imagine my Mac would be equally a pain in the ass if I was using it in a similar way.

Yep.
Windows is proof you can use something if you really, really, have to... no matter how painful.

:grin
Both MacOS and Windows are shit in different ways.

MacOS is a real turd when it comes to anything external display related, with compatibility issues with non-Apple displays, waking external displays from sleep, scaling issues especially on 4K+ displays. There's a lot of little annoyances just like on Windows, e.g Apple Music launching when you connect a BT device so you need a 3rd party tool to make it stop doing that. My top bar has so many 3rd party tool icons in it to add functionality that the OS would stop displaying them, and you can't scroll that area.

Windows is often really messy when it comes to software installs, the duality of old vs new Control Panel, the way MS keeps shittifying it by pushing for features nobody wants. The Start Menu is a prime example of bad design and the search functionality is crap.

Apple's laptop hardware is top tier. It's difficult to find a Windows laptop that is of the same caliber. Of course, Apple charges 5x more for RAM and disk space than what that should cost so you have to pay through the nose to have a reasonable configuration. I have a really hard time justifying Apple for anything but work computers I don't pay for myself.

I have an Intel 13600K+Nvidia RTX 4090 ITX+32 GB RAM+3 TB disk space system as my desktop PC. It cost me less than the closest equivalent Mac Studio, while being upgradable and having like 10x higher GPU performance. It's only about twice the size of the Mac Studio so not big either.

For everyday use I don't think the two OS are that different. I can do pretty much the same things on both without issue.

For everyday use I don't think the two OS are that different. I can do pretty much the same things on both without issue.
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Now that said, from a corporate level, and a tweakers perspective, there is no comparison ;~)) I wish someone would figure out a way for linux to run windows and apple based softwares seamlessly!! I would be on that like grain on wood!!! Say goodbye to both of those bloated dinosaurs (MicrAppleSoft) ;~))

Last edited:
I have been back and forth many times. Windows if you want to get things done, Mac if you want to be like the cool kids.
That’s the whole problem. I’m trying to get actual work done on windows but it won’t let me and no one can figure out what the issue is.

Back