Setting up new M1 Macbook Air

I would truly love an endorsement of peoples’ favorite sample based instruments.

Strings, horns, drums, percussion and pianos.

I’m kind of picky in this department in the past. No familiarity with modern products.

Are there a technical standards ie 44.1k@16bits?
I don't think enough folks around here have enough experience with a wide variety of products to give you meaningful feedback? I mean, all I can tell you is what I've decided to buy for myself based on the same youtube viewing you can do. I can suggest stuff to check out:

Horns: Native Instruments Session Horns Pro; East/West pop horns; Big Fish Vintage horns
Strings/orchestra: Vienna; Spitfire Audio
Drums -- a million options
pianos -- a million options

Given how long ago "in the past" is for you on this front, you need to recognize that modern sample libraries are WIIIIIIIIIIILDY different than anything from like pre-2010 or so. Its like someone coming here and saying "hey guys, in the past I never really jived that well with using an ART SGX or Alesis Quadraverb GT as a direct solution -- they said they had cab simulations, but I didn't really like them, or the distortions, included in the box. I'm pretty picky -- what kind of digital solution should I be looking at?"

Even the stock Logic library is going to be miiiiiles ahead of anything you've used, with multiple articulations for each instrument/section, etc.

Fair enough; some of the samples I heard from some well- known vendors on YouTube sounded terrible.

So I don’t expect anything to be necessarily “miles ahead” of what I expect. Shitty samples are a real thing.

I realize I know a lot more week from now, and then again more yet w more time

If you start out, I highly recommend to stick with Logic's library for a whole while. There's tons of great things in there.
When I'm back home on monday, I'll try to post a little horn thing a friend of mine did, just using Logic stuff. Puts quite some other libs to shame, at least IMO.

2669D0A6-2D88-46E4-BFB9-9B88C04C4B34.jpeg

Heavy little bastard …

Last edited:
i use this dock for M1 mini (i can also use it on the M1 macbook air):

this gives you four thunderbolts for one. and then there are a ton of ones that you can use to expand the other thunderbolt to a buncha USB As.

i find that wirecutter is a really good resource.

Back