Helix Talk

Well, you don't need to crawl on the floor, looking stupid, to adjust things.

:unsure:

1711114112764.png

When people talked about pedal edit mode; I always assumed they were taking their socks off for the capacative touch crap :wat:roflYou learn something new every day!

And stopping playing mid song to pull out your phone, open an app and connect to bluetooth is?

I'm not talking mid song but mainly soundchecks and rehearsals. Besides, I'd just keep the editor connected and opened on a tablet sitting on a stand, ready to be touched any moment.

“Crawling around on the floor” …. Bro, if you set that shit up right in rehearsal there’s like two things to tweak maybe. About the only thing that ever needs adjustment in sound check is my gate if the room is loud.

View attachment 20530

Saw this on Facebook and thought is cool. 2015 Helix teaser.
We never got to use it. The then head of MarCom insisted the chevron "><" needed to bake for a few years before people would accept it as a brand analog for "H E L I ><." Kinda like how Nike didn't display the swoosh by itself (without "NIKE" text) until many years after its inception.

MarCom may very well have been right (I'm far from a branding expert), but it was a bummer nonetheless. IIRC, I had to push really hard to get the reflective >< on Helix Backpack. Thankfully, we had already (semi-sneakily) tooled the >< on LT's side panels and treadle grip.

We never got to use it. The then head of MarCom insisted the chevron "><" needed to bake for a few years before people would accept it as a brand analog for "H E L I ><." Kinda like how Nike didn't display the swoosh by itself (without "NIKE" text) until many years after its inception.

MarCom may very well have been right (I'm far from a branding expert), but it was a bummer nonetheless. IIRC, I had to push really hard to get the reflective >< on Helix Backpack. Thankfully, we had already (semi-sneakily) tooled the >< on LT's side panels and treadle grip.

Can you tell us what's coming down the pipe? I assume POD Go update can't be too far away, and then hopefully 3.8?

How is any assign functionality limited in the GT-1000?

Well, you don't need to crawl on the floor, looking stupid, to adjust things.

Wait until you play a gig at diffuse daylight. Or on a really bright stage. Sometimes you can't even see whether it's switched on.
Assign is miles behind snapshots. I recently went back to them on my Boss VE-500 and it's so tough when you've been away from it for a few years. Boss must have a very good reason not to revamp their UI but they're getting far behind every year.

Lol, "looking stupid" for doing what guitarists have done for decades? Classic Sascha Franck 🤣

Yeah, I guess I haven't suffered that problem yet. I'll let you know tomorrow, as I have an open doors gig in the morning.

Assign is miles behind snapshots.

Depends on what you need. Both have their merits, they're partially pretty different things.

Lol, "looking stupid" for doing what guitarists have done for decades? Classic Sascha Franck

So, just because something worked for decades automatically means there's no room for improvements? By that token, I gather you're still riding a horse as your main transportation unit then as well, correct? Only to get into your house where you will have to light a candle and drink lukewarm beer because there's no electricity, right?
Also, have you once done some "wicked" things such as turning up your delay feedback knob? And how did it feel kneeing in front of your pedal board while doing so? Where and how exactly did you hold your guitar while doing so?
And maybe you could also find some work as a consultant. I'm sure all FOH folks would be happy to learn that operating their mixers straight on the floor is a much more efficient, elegant and slick looking procedure compared to having these things sit on desks, no?

Depends on what you need. Both have their merits, they're partially pretty different things.

So, just because something worked for decades automatically means there's no room for improvements? By that token, I gather you're still riding a horse as your main transportation unit then as well, correct? Only to get into your house where you will have to light a candle and drink lukewarm beer because there's no electricity, right?
Also, have you once done some "wicked" things such as turning up your delay feedback knob? And how did it feel kneeing in front of your pedal board while doing so? Where and how exactly did you hold your guitar while doing so?
And maybe you could also find some work as a consultant. I'm sure all FOH folks would be happy to learn that operating their mixers straight on the floor is a much more efficient, elegant and slick looking procedure compared to having these things sit on desks, no?
No need to be that bitter, man. Just because someone has a different opinion than yours shouldn't affect you. Life's too short for that❤️

Now, back to the subject. I didn't say there's no room for improvement (for instance, I'm saying Boss' UI has a lot of room). I'm just saying that "looking stupid" for editing things on the floor seems a bit exaggerated, but I know that's how you speak when you defend your position on a discussion.

Honestly, like another user said, I can't see how taking out your phone is a whole new world compared to editing on the device. You loose one hand, for instance (unless you take the phone back to your pocket everytime you want to test your changes). And you still can't do that while playing.

Anyway, I'm not saying a mobile editor is not a good thing. Just that, if I have to choose between outdated UI+phone editor and Helix's UI, I clearly choose the latter. But that only means that that's what works for me. I'll never talk like my opinion is the only source of truth and "you should all agree with me or realize you have no idea".

And also to be taken into account: I always have my presets 100% ready before a gig. If I ever edit anything, it's on the rehearsal place, and I just sit down and take my time to do everything I need, with my guitar in my arms and on my legs. I've never felt that's inconvenient at all. On a gig, I just need to adjust my global volume on the mixer.

Now, would I use a Helix mobile editor of they made it? You bet I would.

No need to be that bitter, man. Just because someone has a different opinion than yours shouldn't affect you.

No need to talk nonsense. Just because someone has a different opinion than yours shouldn't affect you.

Honestly, like another user said, I can't see how taking out your phone is a whole new world compared to editing on the device.

Did you read my reply? Obviously not. I recommend doing so before we continue this discussion.

And also to be taken into account: I always have my presets 100% ready before a gig. If I ever edit anything, it's on the rehearsal place, and I just sit down and take my time to do everything I need, with my guitar in my arms and on my legs. I've never felt that's inconvenient at all. On a gig, I just need to adjust my global volume on the mixer.

I have tried to describe the nature of my jobs countless times and why some ad hoc tweaking would be required. Not doing it again.

I think making the Helix look like a Bradshaw board with a computer screen was powerfully iconic in the beginning. When I saw the first ad in Guitar World I remember instantly understanding what it was about, and thinking “oh, Line 6 is trying to level up; kinda makes sense.”

I had a tough time taking the Vetta look seriously, and only warmed up to the DL4 because it stuck around and my snobby friends embraced it.

No need to talk nonsense. Just because someone has a different opinion than yours shouldn't affect you.

Did you read my reply? Obviously not. I recommend doing so before we continue this discussion.

I have tried to describe the nature of my jobs countless times and why some ad hoc tweaking would be required. Not doing it again.
Oh my... Whatever, man. Bye.

Back