Helix Talk

On the topic of vocal effects:
I just got a Helix Floor and am looking forward to trying some vocal processing with my band (I :farley“sing“ lead in a power trio, mostly classic rock covers, with some 2000s material and even 80s rap thrown in).

So far, I've set up a preset with the HX mic preamp, LA compressor, and a light 500 ms delay. Also going to try the Double Take as a light thickener?

Any other effects you'd suggest?

Also, will adding the compressor before the PA mixer cause feedback issues?

Thanks in advance.
HX Mic Preamp > Retro Reel > LA Comp > Split > Ducking Delay on Path 1A > Dynamic Bloom Reverb on Path 1B > Merge > Low Cut. You could try the Double Take after the LA Comp but definitely A/B it to see if it adds or detracts from vocal clarity.

Last edited:
HX Mic Preamp > LA Comp > Ducking Delay > Dynamic Bloom Reverb > Low Cut. You could try the Double Take after the LA Comp but definitely A/B it to see if it adds or detracts from vocal clarity.

Thanks, DI! Wow, you just can't beat this kind of customer care and service. So cool. :love :pickle

That's almost exactly the chain I've set up, good to know I'm on the right track. Thanks for the tip about DT placement, too.

I started out using the Studio Mic Pre on my live vocal path, but it tended to be a bit unpredictable at gigs (feedback, muddiness). Probably user error, but I've since switched to just using an EQ block to shape my vocal mic tone.

Hey, is there detailed info anywhere about the Helix Mark IV models?
Can anyone point me in that direction?

Wondering what the pull switches and rear controls were set to (triode/pentode, lead voicing, etc).

As we know, Mark IV Lead channel was modeled with the Presence PUSHED, but the classic IIC+/III poweramp response is when the Presence is PULLED.
Luckily we already have a Mark IV poweramp model that has the Presence Pulled, it's the Rhythm 1 model, all we need is to be able to route the Lead Preamp into the Rhythm 1 Poweramp, that's how your get proper Metallica and Petrucci IIC+ tones.

Graphs of Presence behavior difference between Rhythm 1 (Pulled) and Lead (Pushed) channels.
You'll quickly notice why 99% of Mark IV players prefer the Presence Pulled for the original IIC+/III response.

View attachment 6493

View attachment 6495

View attachment 6494

This post is an addendum to these posts:

PS.
I love my Helix, but sometimes it pains me to know that a model could have been much better if Line 6 made a different decision regarding settings when modeling the amp.

To say this one more time, separate Poweramp models will open a world of new tones.

Ok, found some great info from @James Freeman in this thread. Very cool!

Any more info about the rear settings? (lead voicing, etc)

Thanks again.

Kudos Line 6, thanks to this awesome and detailed video, I was able to eliminate the dreaded expression pedal squeak.

A sprinkle of white lithium grease and a couple turns of the screws later, it's back in action, and quieter than ever before.

Seems like there wasn't any grease/lubricant in there at all when it shipped.

Attachments

• IMG_20240319_094008593_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240319_094008593_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
Just came home from seeing Filter live tonight. Jonathan Radtke (guitars) and Bobby Miller (bass) were both running nothing but Helices, going into backline amps for stage volume. Band sounded incredible.

PXL_20240319_203148279.jpg
PXL_20240319_203157759.jpg

PS: Their new drummer (22-year old Tosh Peterson) blew my mind. Kid's a beast.

Last edited:
Just came home from seeing Filter live tonight. Jonathan Radtke (guitars) and Bobby Miller (bass) were both running nothing but Helices, going into backline amps for stage volume. Band sounded incredible.

View attachment 20408 View attachment 20409

Great pics!

Are those Mesa cabs back there? Looks like they're mic'd, interesting.

Do you know what they're powering them with?

Great pics!

Are those Mesa cabs back there? Looks like they're mic'd, interesting.

Do you know what they're powering them with?

JCM 800's with matching half-stack cabs for guitars, and a SS amp with a big Ampeg cab for bass. All into the loop, as far as i could gather - nothing was plugged on the front.

PXL_20240319_194224423.jpg

At one point Richard played a Tele straight into (another) JCM 800 with a 2x12" Engl cab.

Last edited:

View attachment 20408 View attachment 20409

Just recently listened to the new album. It’s growing on me, especially the songs where their guitars are tuned to drop-Z. 😂 Seems like Richard still has the pipes too!

Almost ten years of life👏👏

I bought my LT on March 2020 (2 days before lockdown) thanks to a comment on Boss GT-1000's page in Thomann, saying "for this price, I'd get a Helix instead". I didn't even know about Helix, and boy what a pleasant surprise. So glad I didn't pay nearly 1000€ for Boss's prehistoric interface.

Well, they have mobile editors in Boss land. And a visible display.
So much about prehistoric...
Yeah, and they're also keeping the same interface I had in the GT-8, with the very limited "assign" functionality.

Having a mobile editor is nothing compared to Helix's UX, IMHO.

Also, my Helix LT display is quite visible. What do you mean?

Yeah, and they're also keeping the same interface I had in the GT-8, with the very limited "assign" functionality.

How is any assign functionality limited in the GT-1000?

Having a mobile editor is nothing compared to Helix's UX, IMHO.

Well, you don't need to crawl on the floor, looking stupid, to adjust things.

Also, my Helix LT display is quite visible. What do you mean?

Wait until you play a gig at diffuse daylight. Or on a really bright stage. Sometimes you can't even see whether it's switched on.

Back