Helix Talk

I totally agree that for some situations, real setlists would be nice. I mean, we all need the same sounds for multiple tunes, don't we? Not much sense in duplicating actual presets. One could actually use song names in set lists and the presets would still display their preset names (ideally there'd be a mode where both song and preset name would be displayed).

Having said that, if there was an actual setlist thing, dragging and rearranging songs around should be somewhat faster than dragging and rearranging presets.

I totally agree that for some situations, real setlists would be nice. I mean, we all need the same sounds for multiple tunes, don't we? Not much sense in duplicating actual presets.

Since 2018, when I've bought the Helix, I always used few basic presets that worked for most songs and some specialized ones, sometimes with snapshots, for more complicated ones.

And I've found much easier and faster (on stage) to put all the presets in order, rename them, and simply go to next preset instead of having to navigate with my feet through the preset view.

Play song, song ends, press next song button, repeat.

Last edited:
Last post about setlist :)

Fractal implementation, as far as I understand it reading the manual, is super cool.

quoting from the manual
The Fractal Audio Setlist/Song feature allows you to create an organized setlist comprised of named songs, with
each song containing up to six distinct sections (e.g., intro, verse, solo, etc.).

Each section can be recalled from any preset stored in the fractal

Each Song has a number, a name (up to 10 characters), and consists of six numbered Sections.
Each Section has a number, a name (up to 10 characters), and designates one Preset and one Scene (1-8 or DEFAULT).
A maximum of 128 songs can be created in total.

For Example, imagine a Song named “All I Want”.
Section 1: named “Intro” loads Preset 1, Scene 1
Section 2: named “Verse” loads Preset 1, Scene 2
Section 3: named “B-Section” loads Preset 3, Scene 1
Section 4: named “Chorus” loads Preset 510, “Default Scene”
Section 5: named “Solo” loads Preset 1022, Scene 6
Section 6: is not used in this song. Its “Preset” is “NONE”, which disables the section.

With seamless transitions this is awesome imho. Not for everyone, I understand that, but cool nontheless

I can imagine my self building "library" preset and building songs taking the pieces need from each preset.
Something like a lead tones preset with several lead tones variations. a Clean tones preset, a drive rythm tones preset, ecc.

I don't think fractal implementation belongs to helix world, though.

Last edited:
You can already reorder presets. And each preset can already represent a song.

So what you're asking for is a complicated version of what already exists.

I see the benefit though - less presets to modify. And of practical use for some people. This could also be solved with global amps / blocks.

Global blocks would be the game changer. I used to have several versions of the same preset, just slightly different because of specific song needs (automation, specific effects, ...). Because I like to tweak all the time, I now have a single preset so I don't have to propagate any tiny change to all presets. But there are cons.

I like @HotRats idea of setlists. It seems better than copying the same preset multiple times and renaming (on the Stomp we only have 128 presets, anyway).

Now that I am at it, here's another couple of desiderata:

- global INPUT eq, or at least level control (finer-grained that input pad). Matter of fact, I use an external boost/buffer to globally adapt the gain level, and to do basic sound shaping (e.g., pultec eq). The first block in any of my presets is a low/high shelf (EDIT: low-high cut). I'd love to have this as a global thing.

- power amp sims, please :crazy

- USB trim level shortcut. When playing over tracks via USB, oftentimes the phone loses control over volume, and one has to dig into the menus to compensate

Last edited:
- global INPUT eq, or at least level control (finer-grained that input pad). Matter of fact, I use an external boost/buffer to globally adapt the gain level, and to do basic sound shaping (e.g., pultec eq). The first block in any of my presets is a low/high shelf. I'd love to have this as a global thing.

Yes please. My old GT-10 has three "slots" for different input adjustments, each offering level and "presence" control, the latter being some kinda treble adjustment (it's not really comparable to the range amp presence controls work in). Ideally, there'd be a low end control, too.

And of course "yes please" to global blocks. But people round these parts will know that already...

- global INPUT eq, or at least level control (finer-grained that input pad). Matter of fact, I use an external boost/buffer to globally adapt the gain level, and to do basic sound shaping (e.g., pultec eq). The first block in any of my presets is a low/high shelf (EDIT: low-high cut). I'd love to have this as a global thing.
A mono low/high shelf uses 2.89% DSP, and a stereo one 3.61% DSP.

I'd imagine making this "global" would incur a similar DSP hit, potentially breaking user presets, so I'd very much doubt Line 6 would be up for this.

I disagree. :)

Song A - preset x
Song B - preset y
Song D - preset x
Song E - preset z

I don't see how a list of song titles, each one pointing to a preset can make things more complicated. :idk

This is something other modellers have (fractal has an even more articulate implementation)

Believe me, I've done the reorder, copy, rename and maintain thing for years.
Is doable but far from being practical.
Being forced to create duplicates of the same presets with different names is the antithesis of practicality.
I currently have a preset per song (every song has an unique sequence of effects, so I can't reuse any preset), and use snapshots for either sections (intro, verse, chorus, etc) or effects names (fuzz, delay+overdrive, etc).

I have all presets arranged in a setlist, so I don't see how useful this would be.

I can only guess you reuse presets in some songs and you don't want to duplicate them. That's fair, but I don't see such a change coming to the Helix. It's an extra layer that not everyone needs and that doesn't actually fix any important issue or lack of functionality.

EDIT: global blocks would be great. Last week I went to add a bit more bass to a Revv Gen Red in all my presets. Had to browse through 15 presets. It would have been awesome sharing a global block and change the bass parameter just once.

On the other hand, if they ever implemented global blocks, I hope they let parameters be overridden by controller assigns, as I usually have drive, master and channel vol changing on every snapshot.

I currently have a preset per song (every song has an unique sequence of effects, so I can't reuse any preset), and use snapshots for either sections (intro, verse, chorus, etc) or effects names (fuzz, delay+overdrive, etc).

I have all presets arranged in a setlist, so I don't see how useful this would be.

I've done that too (some presets where actually identical even in that case, honestly) and I see your point clearly.

It all comes down to what type of band (or bands) you're in and what kind of player you are.

Like anything else inside the helix a feature, even a big one like snapshots, might be useful for a player and useless for another one.

Forgot to say I'm all for global blocks a feature I've asked for since my day one with the helix.

I'd imagine making this "global" would incur a similar DSP hit, potentially breaking user presets, so I'd very much doubt Line 6 would be up for this.

OK, then I'll ask it for Helix 2! That's coming soon, right? Right? Riiiiight?

Back in 2018 I've also asked for this https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/32995 :rofl

I'd like to have a full screen setlist view in the Helix.

A simple one layout that uses all the helix screen, where the current preset in the setlist is written with a bigger and bold character and stays always on the first row.

something like this.

012 CURRENT SONG
013 next song title
014 next song title
015 next song title.

Mmm I don't fully get this. Why would a global block be more DSP-demanding than a normal one?

In the end, it's just a matter of having a way to share parameter values across presets.

When you load a preset, you read the json file and, if the block type (or scope, or whatever) is "global", then you go load that global block parameters values. And then on top of that, you update parameters which have some controller assigns.

I'm beating you here. I've asked for it since my day, hm, -461 or so already. Seriously, I started annoying people even way before I bought a Helix.
IMG_1443.jpeg

Mmm I don't fully get this. Why would a global block be more DSP-demanding than a normal one?
I was under the impression that when you said "global INPUT eq", you meant global as in the global eq. i.e. applies to all presets, just like the global eq when it is switched on (the Helix necessarily reserves a small amount of DSP for global eq).

If you just mean you'd like to see "global blocks" that can be dropped into presets as required, that's a different proposition, but it also isn't what you said! :)

On the topic of vocal effects:
I just got a Helix Floor and am looking forward to trying some vocal processing with my band (I :farley“sing“ lead in a power trio, mostly classic rock covers, with some 2000s material and even 80s rap thrown in).

So far, I've set up a preset with the HX mic preamp, LA compressor, and a light 500 ms delay. Also going to try the Double Take as a light thickener?

Any other effects you'd suggest?

Also, will adding the compressor before the PA mixer cause feedback issues?

Thanks in advance.

Back