Helix Talk

Nothing new here. Many older modelers are doing pretty well once running through a somewhat modernized cab sim (typically IRs). I'm right now using my GT-10 running into an AMT Pangaea for one particular show, it's pretty much perfectly fine. Yeah, amp dynamics have been improved quite a bit in the last years as well, but in case you keep your gain civil, older modelers will often do just fine in that area as well (the Boss GT units have always been quite decent at dynamics, IMO better than most PODs from the same years).

Btw, one thing that already crossed my mind ages ago for the first time: I'm wondering whether it'd be possible to add some embedded "patch information" to each patch.
As the HX family units are so flexible, I sometimes just forget what scenario some patches were made for. I'd like to have that covered in some kinda info box you could call up.
It's also that with some more complexed patches I created on the Floor, I had a pretty tough time "reverse engineering" them, simply because lots of controller assignments (often controlling multiple things at once), all snapshots and all stomp switches (including some set up via Command Center) were used. For some of these patches I actually created a dedicated patch text file with the most relevant information in it, but obviously that was saved on my computer - sure, could've taken it with me on a mobile device, but it'd be quite comfortable to have that information available straight in the patch.

Logic has such an information editor built in, and while I thoroughly ignored it for ages, after I got used to it some 3-4 years back, I really don't want to miss it anymore.

I know, it'd be tough to edit such an info text on the unit, but you could even come up with something generic and just add checks/unchecks to it. Apart from that, this obviously is what the editor would be for.

Last edited:
Long day of work, now riding home using public transport. The sole idea that's been bugging me for the last 8 hours:

Has anyone tried using the Tilt EQ as a wah?

(Auto on/off and center freq. sweep via expression)

From what I understand, it should act similarly to the Dunlop 105Q, since it creates a variable-frequency center/peak, while anything higher/lower is being attenuated.

Long day of work, now riding home using public transport. The sole idea that's been bugging me for the last 8 hours:

Has anyone tried using the Tilt EQ as a wah?

(Auto on/off and center freq. sweep via expression)

From what I understand, it should act similarly to the Dunlop 105Q, since it creates a variable-frequency center/peak, while anything higher/lower is being attenuated.
No, a Tilt EQ is a different thing. The Filter -> Q Filter in Bandpass mode can be used like the Dunlop though.

I dream of something the DSP power of the HX Stomp half the size of the HXone. No switches, just a knob to pick the preset. MIDI in, spdif in and out, analog in and out. Just to add more DSP to the helix itself

It’s so bizarre to see Helix remaining so competitive as a nearly decade old device in such a crowded space.

As a consumer I’m floored by the value I’ve received from Helix, but the gear addict in me is getting frustrated. Im sick of looking at this hardware. I keep trying to convince myself pedals and tubes are the way. Then rehearsal rolls around and I’m shoving the Helix through a Superlead, basically using it as a big pedalboard. The thing is just so damn practical I can’t shake it because everything I try to replace it with feels like a hassle.

Kudos, L6.

The thing is just so damn practical I can’t shake it because everything I try to replace it with feels like a hassle.

Kudos, L6.
This is where I’m at right now. There are a few things I wanna do that it doesn’t right now, but anything that does do it is either more expensive/more hassle or would require multiple additional pieces to take the place of it without losing any ease-of-use.

It’s so bizarre to see Helix remaining so competitive as a nearly decade old device in such a crowded space.

As a consumer I’m floored by the value I’ve received from Helix, but the gear addict in me is getting frustrated. Im sick of looking at this hardware. I keep trying to convince myself pedals and tubes are the way. Then rehearsal rolls around and I’m shoving the Helix through a Superlead, basically using it as a big pedalboard. The thing is just so damn practical I can’t shake it because everything I try to replace it with feels like a hassle.

Kudos, L6.
Probably helps to be owned by Yamaha... I'm sure they have ample resources vs some of the smaller players.

Verrrryyyy carefully dropping this here. I tried to be as fair as possible and be as honest as I could:

How DARE you not pick my favorite modeler at #1?! j/k you totally did ❤️

I don't know if it's just me, but i've been noticing a (well deserved!) renaissance of appreciation for Helix lately. What Line6 has achieved with this family of products is remarkable.

Last edited:

Kudos, L6.
It would be funny doing the math on how much all of the effects, amps and cabs would cost if we had them as physical amps and pedals.

I'm glad I moved to Helix, and fortunately, it has everything I need (the last pedals I got rid of were EHX Pitchfork and a shimmer).

A friend of mine asked me for advice on some gear. He was about to buy a few pedals (whammy, overdrive, big muff, reverb, etc) and I told him "dude, those pedals separately will be like 650€. For a bit more you have dozens of pedals, amps, easier way of switching effects...". He got the Helix LT and he was really happy.

Helix is a beast.

Verrrryyyy carefully dropping this here. I tried to be as fair as possible and be as honest as I could:

I'm disappointed you didn't post this over at TOP - I'd already prepared some beer and popcorn for the ensuing meltdown! ;)

When you said that the top two could have been in either position, I genuinely expected Fractal to come out on top in your list, but ultimately, your entirely subjective choice of the top two matched my own. FWIW, I could have been perfectly happy with my FM9 when I had it (or my FM3), but tonally, I could get what I wanted out of the Helix, and I simply preferred the Helix workflow.

What is interesting though is that you are a high-gain player, and it seems like the group-think over at TOP is that Fractal *objectively* crushes Helix on high-gain...

I'm disappointed you didn't post this over at TOP - I'd already prepared some beer and popcorn for the ensuing meltdown! ;)

When you said that the top two could have been in either position, I genuinely expected Fractal to come out on top in your list, but ultimately, your entirely subjective choice of the top two matched my own. FWIW, I could have been perfectly happy with my FM9 when I had it (or my FM3), but tonally, I could get what I wanted out of the Helix, and I simply preferred the Helix workflow.

What is interesting though is that you are a high-gain player, and it seems like the group-think over at TOP is that Fractal *objectively* crushes Helix on high-gain...

Maybe someone else will share it there... ;) If I make a thread about it it will be moved or deleted quickly anyway. I was expecting people to get pissed but so far the response has been great! Some people are bummed out that the Kemper wasn't included but I don't have one (I only wanted to feature devices that I currently own) and it obviously has no amp models in it.

Back