Helix Talk

Nothing special, but I'm happy! 🙂

Last night I sat down and "copied" the three channels and the reverb of my 1994 Twin Amp with the Helix, switching back and forth between effects loop and amp model, and tweaking the latter until they sounded the same.

Clean channel and clean w/gain are the US Double Nrm, of course - and for the crunch channel I got closest with the Cali Mark IV Lead. Reverb is the Hot Springs.

I have no idea why it took me so long to do that. 😁
Matching amps by ear is fun, right? -Also fun: Retrying it the next day and suddenly hearing some obvious differences. :bonk

I like the Mail Order Twin (start with mids around 2.5) as a nice slightly more in-your-face Twin alternative.
For the lead channel I have a hunch that the Cartographer might nail it, too.

Dead lifts or curls?

gogglebox australia muscle GIF

Did something come unseated/loose when you buttoned it back up after you worked on the footswitches?
I don't think so. It had been working for several days after I cleaned the footswitches again. I opened it up last night and didn't notice anything inside my scope of knowledge but I didn't fully dismantle it either.

Is there a fuse anywhere inside the Helix? I saw a thread asking that question on the Line 6 forum, but it has nothing more than satirical responses.
Could be. Some people say there are. The bigger question would be what component failure caused the theoretical fuse to theoretically blow so the real problem could get fixed.

Or maybe something came loose and I haven't dug deep enough to find it. Not sure if I really want to either. Depends on what Line 6 says as I opened a support ticket last night when I descovered the issue. If it comes down to it, I'll dismantle it and inspect it as much as I can but I'd rather pay someone else to do it because time.

Is there a fuse anywhere inside the Helix? I saw a thread asking that question on the Line 6 forum, but it has nothing more than satirical responses.

Helix Floor & LT power supplies are fused, but non-user replaceable :( They use small mini fuses soldered directly to the PSU board.

s-l1600.jpg

Today I was looking for small midi 1 or 2 switch foot controllers then I've realized that the helix floor toe switch can be used as an extra switch if you don't need it for it's default uses (and I don't).

I love it.

I've assigned it to recall the next preset in the setlist, something I used to do scarifying a normal foot switch.

Talking about setlists....

Am I the only one who think that would be awesome to have setlists (not helix setlists but proper setlists) separated from presets?

What I imagine here as a proper setlist is a simple list of song titles, each one linked to a preset stored in the helix.

basically in my idealized world you build a library of song titles with a preset associated to each title and when it's to time to gig you just need to put them in order.

you put the helix in "setlist mode" and you see the song title on screen instead of the preset name.

It makes a lot of sense for anyone using a bunch of presets for a whole gig and likes to see song titles and organize proper setlists inside the helix (without the need to copy/paste and rename the same bunch of presets several times)

@Digital Igloo pleeaaaaase :love

Talking about setlists....

Am I the only one who think that would be awesome to have setlists (not helix setlists but proper setlists) separated from presets?

What I imagine here as a proper setlist is a simple list of song titles, each one linked to a preset stored in the helix.

basically in my idealized world you build a library of song titles with a preset associated to each title and when it's to time to gig you just need to put them in order.

you put the helix in "setlist mode" and you see the song title on screen instead of the preset name.

It makes a lot of sense for anyone using a bunch of presets for a whole gig and likes to see song titles and organize proper setlists inside the helix (without the need to copy/paste and rename the same bunch of presets several times)

@Digital Igloo pleeaaaaase :love
You can already reorder presets. And each preset can already represent a song.

So what you're asking for is a complicated version of what already exists.

I see the benefit though - less presets to modify. And of practical use for some people. This could also be solved with global amps / blocks.

Last edited:
You can already reorder presets. And each preset can already represent a song.

So what you're asking for is a complicated version of what already exists.

I see the benefit though - less presets to modify. And of practical use for some people. This could also be solved with global amps / blocks.

I disagree. :)

Song A - preset x
Song B - preset y
Song D - preset x
Song E - preset z

I don't see how a list of song titles, each one pointing to a preset can make things more complicated. :idk

This is something other modellers have (fractal has an even more articulate implementation)

Believe me, I've done the reorder, copy, rename and maintain thing for years.
Is doable but far from being practical.
Being forced to create duplicates of the same presets with different names is the antithesis of practicality.

Last edited:
Back