Helix Talk

Any Helix users try out this Double take?
Just started tweaking with it.... oh man is this awesome :eek:
cant wait to try it on my next recording
I keep getting random phasiness every once in a while when using the Double Take. I think I had gotten to a point where it was almost okay, but Simple Delay on one channel at 15-ish milliseconds was just so much easier.

I keep getting random phasiness every once in a while when using the Double Take. I think I had gotten to a point where it was almost okay, but Simple Delay on one channel at 15-ish milliseconds was just so much easier.
To clarify, I hear what sounds like the signals jumping from one channel to the other and sometimes collapsing into a mono chorus sound. Turning the Slop and Sensitivity down to 0 makes it not happen but then it just sounds like stereo widening.

Either that, or, I don't want to hear just left and right with no center info, and that might be why I like the Tile.
That's why I like the dual cabs/different mikes panned I think. The parts of the spectrum where the mics are similar images into the center and where they are most different images to the sides. A little delay in one separates the attacks. Probably I'm overthinking it there but it's kind of a neat thing in phones when you want a wide sound. Other ways to do that of course but my recollection of the DT is it can be a little chorusy.

To clarify, I hear what sounds like the signals jumping from one channel to the other and sometimes collapsing into a mono chorus sound. Turning the Slop and Sensitivity down to 0 makes it not happen but then it just sounds like stereo widening.
I recall that too now that I mentioned it and was the reason I didn't get into it early on. The developer made an appearance on TGP when it was new and said he was going to look at it. Guess they opted not to change anything.

From Sam:

The Double Take is a new double tracking effect made specifically for the Helix. Having spent a lot of time listening to a plethora of double tracked instruments, we found that the way a part is performed has a huge effect on how the layered tracks would feel. With this in mind, we wanted to make a new double track effect that responds dynamically with the way the player performs, adding the real-world dimension and depth you would get from having multiple recordings of a single part. This led to a whole new design from the ground up, with a lot of tuning available for the amount and types of variation between the doubled voices. This makes for the ability to have an incredibly realistic sounding and feeling double tracker with the ability to shape the feel at your finger(and foot-)tips.

Doubles
The main "Doubles" knob controls the number of double tracks into the mix from one to four generated voices, and in the stereo versions, the dry signal is assigned to a specified pan location. (Dry signal is underlined)
1 = Left and Right
2 = Left, Center, Right
3 = Left, Left, Right, Right
4 = Left, Left, Center, Right, Right
Note: as each extra voice is added, there is a post-effect level compensation such that the overall dB of the remains about uniform. You can make up this change with the two output knobs if you want the same level hitting whatever you send the doubled tracks in to. Also since these are hard pans, you an also use the "stereo width" block to control how wide this effect is in the stereo field.

Slop
The Slop knob controls the amount of the slight variations in timing and pitch you would hear from each of the doubled voices. The variations are what we like to call "Defined Randomness" as this amount and timing is directly coupled with the dynamics of the original part. This knob controls the heart of this effect, as it will define the voices from tight and refined at low settings and all the way to(too?) wild and dynamic at max. With this knob you can set such that a softer touch there isn't much change to the original performance, but the harder you dig in, the more the doubled voices' strings stretch, slap around, and become widely de-correlated.

Sensitivity
This knob controls the sensitivity of the slop feature. The lower this parameter is set there will be less dynamic behavior from the voices. This can be viewed more or less like a threshold or input gain of a compressor, but specifically for the slop's detection algorithm.

Source (Stereo only)
The Double take can have a true stereo path. This parameter determines how the input signal is processed by the effect.
Mono: Input will be summed to mono then processed by the Double Take
True Stereo: Each side will be sent as a true stereo path, and each extra voice will be sent to the side of the source pan.
Left Only: Only the left input will be sent into the Double Take
Right Only: Only the right input will be sent into the Double Take

Dry and Wet Levels
Instead of a This controls the level of the original dry signal as it passes through the effect. Note the Dry Level Location above.
Note: In "True Stereo" mode, the dry signal for the right will only be used for the doubles and will not pass through the effect. In "Right Only" mode, the Right channel will be sent to the left or center according to the Doubles parameter.

Personally, I like to put it either after my amp and cab if I'm using the stereo version, or in mono right in front of the rig just after my guitar... but I'm sure all you lovelies will find some more amazing uses! Hope you guys found this informative and it helps you have fun. :) sorry for the long post :X thank you.

Edited to add the underline

Last edited:
This is how i use it as mentioned both my Powercabs are on opposing corners running in stereo
where i sit im in the middle, hence i hear the sound in the center but adding the double take with the settings ive tried
i can now hear the sounds left and right and it does sound thicker, no chorusy type sound just more beefy

This is how i use it as mentioned both my Powercabs are on opposing corners running in stereo
where i sit im in the middle, hence i hear the sound in the center but adding the double take with the settings ive tried
i can now hear the sounds left and right and it does sound thicker, no chorusy type sound just more beefy
What are your settings and where in the signal chain is it? Mono or stereo version?

like this --->

1670981155891.png

Huh, similar to my settings and placement, although i've never put it after delay and reverb other than testing stereo I/O. I'm using studio monitors and get weirdness 🤷‍♂️
Hmmm odd, im really enjoying it as is, no weird chourusy phase thingy
maybe try different settings
:idk

I got weirdness in my IEMs with it, and I agree with Alex, and as I already stated, a simple pitch or stereo delay does the trick, it's the EXACT signal, just spread left and right, as much, or little as you want.

Having said all of THAT, what I REALLY want, is just some left and right room spread, WITH mono info as well, which is probably why I like the Tile Reverb, and why I've been using it for years now.

Back