Helix Talk

Yeah the one trip to the car mindset is overrated and was a dead discussion in 2016; let alone 6 years later :hmm
Some of us choose to live car-free so the limitation of only taking what you can carry is very real.

But otherwise I agree. If you're going to drive 2 tons of steel with two couches, a climate control system, a stereo, 50 litres of flammable liquid and 2000 litres of dry cargo space a few blocks over to a gig, it does seem especially lazy to suddenly pretend that needing to make two trips from the car to unload is somehow excessive.

Some of us choose to live car-free so the limitation of only taking what you can carry is very real.

But otherwise I agree. If you're going to drive 2 tons of steel with two couches, a climate control system, a stereo, 50 litres of flammable liquid and 2000 litres of dry cargo space a few blocks over to a gig, it does seem especially lazy to suddenly pretend that needing to make two trips from the car to unload is somehow excessive.
Agreed completely. Transportation issues are a separate discussion entirely. Some weirdo fixation on having a postage stamp sized rig just because you "went all in on modeling" is idiotic.

I ride a motorcycle and still get it done…

To be fair, I play in two tribute bands and we have people responsible for our stuff! Lol!

I don’t care about whether or not I can make it in one trip from the truck (most of the time I can if I want to). I do avoid bringing more to a gig than I really need for it though. Enough time hauling 412s and big heads when I didn’t actually need that much power was enough. Now with nearly every gig being on IEMs, the only thing I gain with cabs is natural feedback which for me isn’t worth the extra gear hauling. For those it is, rock on.

I keep promising myself that I’m gonna use more amp models, but so far I’m just lying to myself.

D

Leave Elon alone!
l.jpg

Di posted this at the other place lol

Only for Helix Native and HX Edit. The next firmware will likely be 3.60, unless we pull another sneaky one and call it something dumb like 4.20.69.

No, don't start a "Helix 4.20.69" thread please.

:rofl
I suspect the prior release, 4.20, is when we'll finally get the total suite of tripped out reverbs. The .69--I'm lookin at my LT right now. I dunno, man ... would have to be one helluva update.

PSA: check the blocks which you usually don't check.

Today I hooked Helix to amp, 4CM, everything standard as always. But at some point discovered that two of my presets are quieter than others, and aren't quite working as before.
Since it was just on two presets, it had to be something Helix related. So I started digging, and digging. And some more digging... Finally stumbled that pan on output blocks were set all the way left. How, why and when, no idea. Returned it to center and they're back to their usual volume.

Interesting that it affects the signal at all, since they're mono presets all the way, connected to amp. And when playing mono you plug into left output so it should be summed to mono anyway.

Interesting that it affects the signal at all, since they're mono presets all the way, connected to amp. And when playing mono you plug into left output so it should be summed to mono anyway.
Something something about the left and right combined = louder. Singling out one of the sides cuts that summed volume down.

Something something about the left and right combined = louder. Singling out one of the sides cuts that summed volume down.

Yeah, this. Summing L and R (pan in center) can result in an increase in volume up to 6dB.

In mixers and daws there's a pan law compensation applied when panning but helix probably doesn't do that.

You forgot the third row.

Yeah, this. Summing L and R (pan in center) can result in an increase in volume up to 6dB.

In mixers and daws there's a pan law compensation applied when panning but helix probably doesn't do that.
We do. IIRC, Helix has a pan law of 3dB, but that's tangential to how two signals give you a 6dB boost.

We do. IIRC, Helix has a pan law of 3dB, but that's tangential to how two signals give you a 6dB boost.
The 3dB pan law assumes a random phase relationship between L and R. IOW, it assumes the signals are completely uncorrelated. When two uncorrelated signals of equal level are summed, the resulting magnitude is 3dB greater than that of either signal by itself. When the signals are correlated, they add coherently, and the summed magnitude is 6dB greater than either of the individual magnitudes.

If L and R are identical signals, a 6dB pan law would yield constant magnitude in the stereo sweet spot in a crossfade. If they are completely uncorrelated - e.g., two noise signals from different noise sources - then the 3dB law would produce the same result. With real-world signals, especially in systems where the signal comes from a single instrument, there is always some amount of correlation between L and R. In that case, there is no pan law that will reliably result in constant magnitude when the signals are summed.

FWIW, if you haven't intentionally implemented stereo effects in your signal chain, there's no need to sum L and R. Just pick one and use it. If you have implemented stereo effects, be advised that your signal may actually be weaker - or an effect perfectly cancelled - if you sum them. Stereo signals really need to be sent to stereo speakers.

Agreed completely. Transportation issues are a separate discussion entirely. Some weirdo fixation on having a postage stamp sized rig just because you "went all in on modeling" is idiotic.
In. a lot of places where real estate value is low enough that having a nightclub with bands is a viable option you would NEVER leave anything at all of value in a car for more than 30 seconds, especially if its a known area where people are moving valuable easily pawnable gear back and forth. In hawaii for instance you wouldn't DREAM of making a second trip from your car to the stage

In. a lot of places where real estate value is low enough that having a nightclub with bands is a viable option you would NEVER leave anything at all of value in a car for more than 30 seconds, especially if its a known area where people are moving valuable easily pawnable gear back and forth. In hawaii for instance you wouldn't DREAM of making a second trip from your car to the stage
Sounds like Oakland

Yeah the one trip to the car mindset is overrated and was a dead discussion in 2016; let alone 6 years later
Never had to do a gig in a hotel ballroom, come in through the loading dock and kitchen, and use the freight elevator, huh? I've done lots of gigs where the load-in trips were extremely long and you had to get back and move your car before it got towed. I know guys whose cars got towed.

One-trip rigs were already a thing during my full-time playing days in the 1970s/80s and they are still worthwhile for working musicians. It's still a must for me as an occasional player.

Back