Helix Talk

Hey Jive, did you manage to make the Vitriol sound good or not yet?
I futzed with it in one of the new factory presets one day and was digging it A LOT. I didn't save because I'm dumb and came back to it and couldn't get the same results the next go round.

My Stomp is set up on my gigging board and wired up in a way that is a huge PITA to use standalone when the mood strikes. I always tell myself I'm going to fix thst but I never do :(

1671368918803.jpeg

Will this JCM800 be modeled in Helix? :bag

idea: the footswitches have an A and B function like i think fractal does.

4 snaps and 4 stomps could actually be 8 and 8, 8 snaps could be 16, etc..... i think you would just hold down the switch longer to get to the B function. regular taps on the switch would function as normal to the A side.

is it fair we consider the 2210 for Helix addition? they’re still making records pretty regularly and are a cool piece of Marshall history that they’ve largely moved away from. Would love more emulations if it, as far as I’m aware only Nembrini have done it

EDIT: and with channel bleed as an optional extra, can be quite fun to purposefully add it into the tone

The glitch delay is my new favorite thing. Spent some time with it today and really love it for one of my songs. I shorten the delay time, increase feedback with less intervals. Perfecto

I also like the heliosphere a lot for a different one.

What do you guys think would be the best delay to use to get nearly infinite repeats without self oscillation? I wanna click it on as a song ends to get delay trails to carry on for a bit.

I love that at rehearsal I can send an xlr to the interface with a speaker sim and control that independently from what goes to my amp. I know all modelers can do that but it's just super helpful.

The glitch delay is my new favorite thing. Spent some time with it today and really love it for one of my songs. I shorten the delay time, increase feedback with less intervals. Perfecto

What do you guys think would be the best delay to use to get nearly infinite repeats without self oscillation? I wanna click it on as a song ends to get delay trails to carry on for a bit.

I love that at rehearsal I can send an xlr to the interface with a speaker sim and control that independently from what goes to my amp. I know all modelers can do that but it's just super helpful.

Helix has great delays. Love my FM9 but miss L6 delays sometimes.

The elephant man model can ride that border between infinite and oscillation pretty easily especially if you mess with the headroom control.

D

is it fair we consider the 2210 for Helix addition? they’re still making records pretty regularly and are a cool piece of Marshall history that they’ve largely moved away from. Would love more emulations if it, as far as I’m aware only Nembrini have done it

EDIT: and with channel bleed as an optional extra, can be quite fun to purposefully add it into the tone
I'd love them do a whole dump of Marshalls. This is one area where the Axe has the Helix beat. Axe III has 21 Marshall amps split across 48 models, approximately. If you include the Friedmans then it is 61.

Helix has 14 amp models that are Marshall/Brit options. This just simply isn't enough! :rofl

I would love an update that is just a huge dump of Marshall amps, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

Ones I'd like:
  1. Marshall JVM410H - clean (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  2. Marshall JVM410HJS - clean (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  3. Marshall JVM410H - crunch (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  4. Marshall JVM410HJS - OD (Make sure to get green, orange, red, and if you include the mid-shift function then you get OD1 and OD2)
  5. Marshall JVM410H - OD1 (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  6. Marshall JVM410H - OD2 (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  7. Marshall JCM800 2203
  8. Marshall JCM800KK - Kerry King signature (modded 2203?)
  9. Marshall JCM900
  10. Marshall DSL100
  11. Marshall Superbass (modded to Adam Jones spec) - AFAIK, Jones' Marshall is not your typical superbass, and it isn't just simply modded to superlead spec

Personally I could live with crunch and OD1 from the JVM410H, and Clean+OD1/2 from the Satriani version. They’re the MONEY channels for me on those amps and maybe where they stand out best.

2203 Kerry King has higher plate voltages than the reissues. Also has that built in noise gate and boost circuit based on the MXR EQ. It would be a cool option IMO.

(I’d need to double check the values again but) Adam Jones Mods aren’t exactly a Super Lead - it’s a bit like a half arsed attempt at converting a Super Bass over to one, there’s some values from each in there. Pretty sure the circuit and all the values in it are typically what you’d find in stock Marshall amps, it’s just kind of mashed them together. It’s a cool sound but I think you can get so close already and something that is a bit more of a deviation from standard Marshall stuff would appeal to me more. What an actual Super Lead sounds like is a fairly wide net due to the circuit revisions over the years - IMO the plexi’s are the aspect of Marshall Helix gets right for the most part. The arguments in its favour is it’s stupidly loud, old, and a one trick pony and having those modelled in a plugin is way more convenient than having a real. An actual Super Bass circuit would be very cool too - there’s a real lack of these generally out there and it’s a cool sound.

Regarding the 900 - as with the 800, it’s a series of amps rather than just one model. Most people think of the 4100 Dual Reverb variant, but there is also the MKIII and SL-X. 4100 would be cool in that it’s an amp I’d rather not own again, but the MKIII and especially SLX are cooler sounding amps.

Jubilee and 2210 are my favourite of the Marshalls with a solid state gain stage, and they’re pretty different to the plexi circuits, or ones that harken back to them.

8100 is possibly their best regarded solid state attempt - I think it’s appeared on enough albums to warrant some kind of consideration. JMP-1 also has its own following and may be cool for something a bit different.

Friedman Dirty Shirley is a really great circuit - I think it would satisfy a lot of users as it has elements from a 2204 and JTM45 while being finely tuned into a very useable amp. From memory, it’s exactly a 2204 preamp and JTM45 power amp. Different filter node arrangement to a 2204 which results in a squishy feel. And then just some switches (need to check but I believe high/low is a cathode bypass cap).

I'd love them do a whole dump of Marshalls. This is one area where the Axe has the Helix beat. Axe III has 21 Marshall amps split across 48 models, approximately. If you include the Friedmans then it is 61.

Helix has 14 amp models that are Marshall/Brit options. This just simply isn't enough! :rofl

I would love an update that is just a huge dump of Marshall amps, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

Ones I'd like:
  1. Marshall JVM410H - clean (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  2. Marshall JVM410HJS - clean (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  3. Marshall JVM410H - crunch (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  4. Marshall JVM410HJS - OD (Make sure to get green, orange, red, and if you include the mid-shift function then you get OD1 and OD2)
  5. Marshall JVM410H - OD1 (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  6. Marshall JVM410H - OD2 (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  7. Marshall JCM800 2203
  8. Marshall JCM800KK - Kerry King signature (modded 2203?)
  9. Marshall JCM900
  10. Marshall DSL100
  11. Marshall Superbass (modded to Adam Jones spec) - AFAIK, Jones' Marshall is not your typical superbass, and it isn't just simply modded to superlead spec
I'd buy a digital modeler that only has all the Marshall amps you listed above (plus the Valvestate 8100 and the SLX version of the JCM900), nothing else. Wouldn't it be cool if YGG bought Marshall (like Ampeg) and made such a plugin suite?

As this will most likely never happen, I'll try to be happy with my FM3. ;)

I'd buy a digital modeler that only has all the Marshall amps you listed above (plus the Valvestate 8100 and the SLX version of the JCM900), nothing else. Wouldn't it be cool if YGG bought Marshall (like Ampeg) and made such a plugin suite?

As this will most likely never happen, I'll try to be happy with my FM3. ;)
QC and Kemper could easily have all of those amps and more.

Not a typical delay but more like a micro looper … have had fun messing around with the Ratchet. Kinda getting Chase Bliss Mood-ish stuff running that into other effects.

I like that Line 6 gets that a lot of us like that they go for getting in the ballpark of a popular effect pedal’s sounds and effects and not have to roll my own with a bunch parameters that I don’t know or the time to poke around in the dark to find out.

Last edited:
Back