Helix Talk

I'd love them do a whole dump of Marshalls. This is one area where the Axe has the Helix beat. Axe III has 21 Marshall amps split across 48 models, approximately. If you include the Friedmans then it is 61.

Helix has 14 amp models that are Marshall/Brit options. This just simply isn't enough! :rofl

I would love an update that is just a huge dump of Marshall amps, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

Ones I'd like:
  1. Marshall JVM410H - clean (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  2. Marshall JVM410HJS - clean (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  3. Marshall JVM410H - crunch (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  4. Marshall JVM410HJS - OD (Make sure to get green, orange, red, and if you include the mid-shift function then you get OD1 and OD2)
  5. Marshall JVM410H - OD1 (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  6. Marshall JVM410H - OD2 (Make sure to get green, orange, red)
  7. Marshall JCM800 2203
  8. Marshall JCM800KK - Kerry King signature (modded 2203?)
  9. Marshall JCM900
  10. Marshall DSL100
  11. Marshall Superbass (modded to Adam Jones spec) - AFAIK, Jones' Marshall is not your typical superbass, and it isn't just simply modded to superlead spec
I feel totally the opposite. Fractal has too many Marshall and TS models just because it's fairly easy to crank them out when you have done one. It's just fluff to me.

I'd rather have just a few really good ones than every Marshall ever made.

But then again I am the type who would rather see modeling companies make their own models rather than painstakingly replicate classic amps. I know many don't agree with me on this.

I feel totally the opposite. Fractal has too many Marshall and TS models just because it's fairly easy to crank them out when you have done one. It's just fluff to me.

But then again I am the type who would rather see modeling companies make their own models rather than painstakingly replicate classic amps. I know many don't agree with me on this.
I'm desiring 7 amps which are all quite different from one another. It isn't really that extreme!

many people, (maybe too many) see the modelers as a toolbox, you don't expect to find a innovative hammer there, you just go there and look for a hammer, we agree that it is not necessary to have all the marshalls, but if you are interested having those that cannot be replicated from any other amplifier, like the jubillee (clipping for a diode section) for example, as we are talking about helix here... helix does what you ask (give importance to the innovative amps, be the author) and has almost more of its own amps than marshalls

Last edited:
Yeah, starting with bone stock JTM45, 1987x, 2204 and Jubilee, FOUR historic Marshalls and your 99.9% there.
Helix unfortunately doesn't do any of them properly, a darn shame.

edit:
I will add that I consider the JCM2000, DSL, JVM series as modern attempt of Marshall flavored high gain, I personally do not care for such sound as there are amps that do that much better and are already in the Helix, but the 'classic' four mentioned above should not be fucked with and modeled as accurately as possible.

Last edited:
hahaha, just saw @Digital Igloo 's 'since 2015' poster:
1672056571030.png

lmao. Brilliant!

Yeah, starting with bone stock JTM45, 1987x, 2204 and Jubilee, FOUR historic Marshalls and your 99.9% there.
Helix unfortunately doesn't do any of them properly, a darn shame.

edit:
I will add that I consider the JCM2000, DSL, JVM series as modern attempt of Marshall flavored high gain, I personally do not care for such sound as there are amps that do that much better and are already in the Helix, but the 'classic' four mentioned above should not be f****d with and modeled as accurately as possible.

I could be dead wrong but to me I feel like it's on the speaker interaction side where it starts to kind of fall apart compared to the Fractal. In a mix, it often sounds great, and running through a loud power amp and cabs it's likely pretty good. But it doesn't have the same low end response for starters, and that's the addictive "feel" that's missing.

It's like the Helix nailed the amp modeling through an old school static load box and the Fractal has a very modern reactive load with extra bells and whistles. I would bet that's a big part of why it's very hard to tell them apart in a blind audio test but easier when playing through.

A lot of people talk about the Neural Tone King as being extremely amp like. I think that's something similar, there's a ton of low end that gives a lot of the feel of an amp at higher volumes. It's a little over the top but same idea.

Really don't want to do a this vs that in this particular thread, so it's just food for thought. I played through the Helix 2204 amp for quite a while yesterday along with tracks and it sounded really good in that context. It didn't necessarily sound very big by itself and maybe seemed too high gain or sizzly but it still sounded great in the mix and worked well.

It would be very hard to move away from color coded switches and scribble strips, it's so practical and convenient, at this point I wouldn't fathom a flagship modeler without this feature.

I could see Line 6 developing a standalone pedal switcher based on their tech for Command Center, snapshots, scribble strips, etc.

I was dead excited for the scribble strips back in 2015 when Helix was announced. Once I got one I realised that on stage, I'm half-blind like a mole. I'd rather be blind and be able to rock the fuck out without my glasses going titty, than be able to read some scribble strips on a bit of equipment.

I wish line 6 would make a complete fx loop pedal with the scribble strips. All of the other ones are still too confusing and not knowing exactly what you're doing like the BOSS es-8 etc...

But imagine Line 6 making a unit that has 12 send/returns with scribble strips and same screen and the same type of path inside to see where you move your fx loops etc..

I wish line 6 would make a complete fx loop pedal with the scribble strips. All of the other ones are still too confusing and not knowing exactly what you're doing like the BOSS es-8 etc...

But imagine Line 6 making a unit that has 12 send/returns with scribble strips and the same type of path inside to see where you move your fx loops etc..
So. Much. Latency.

But it would certainly look cool :love

Back