Helix Talk

I'm not at that vintage age where one-trip is essential yet. Our gigs I often take a 4x12, an amp head, laptop, keyboard stand, bag with Helix in it, another bag with all my cables and spares in it, and of course my guitar. Usually 2/3 trips.

Anyone here really like the 2204 Mod ?
I think its amazing sounding amp setup with good dual cabs ( and a pair of Powercabs) man that thing can really do 80's really well
one thing I've also learned is that i keep the gain quite low and you get some really great tones not only on the 2204 but most amps
seems to work great for me
:idk

The 2204 is cool.

I get the single trip mentality in easy of load-in/load-out. Certainly. But shrieking how terrible amps are and how your Zoom MS50 is an "insert any amp ever made here (without ever actually playing any amp)" killer is just dumb.

Well Logically the next step for the Boys @ LIne6 would be to revamp the amps, starting with the most popular ones and addressing the JCM 800 once and for all

Well Logically the next step for the Boys @ LIne6 would be to revamp the amps, starting with the most popular ones and addressing the JCM 800 once and for all

I totally agree, some amps need a refresh.

The Invective was an excellent addition and completely cured my desire for a 5150 III or other Soldano derived high gain amps.
I still want a proper IIC+ with all the push/pulls.

The JCM800 was toast from inception, Line 6 know that, I assume they don't fix it because not enough people complain to incentivize a moth worth of Ben's work time. I hate to bring Fractal into my perpetual bitching but let's pretend for a moment that the one and only JCM800 on the AxeFx was broken for over 7 years and Cliff just didn't give a fuck despite endless complaints, mind you, it's not some overhyped dirt pedal, it's the most iconic tube amp in history, the very reason modelers exist.
And no, endless high gain blind tests don't mean shit, I tell you that from experience.

I totally agree, some amps need a refresh.

The Invective was an excellent addition and completely cured my desire for a 5150 III or other Soldano derived high gain amps.
I still want a proper IIC+ with all the push/pulls.

The JCM800 was toast from inception, Line 6 know that, I assume they don't fix it because not enough people complain to incentivize a moth worth of Ben's work time. I hate to bring Fractal into my perpetual bitching but let's pretend for a moment that the one and only JCM800 on the AxeFx was broken for over 7 years and Cliff just didn't give a f**k despite endless complaints, mind you, it's not some overhyped dirt pedal, it's the most iconic tube amp in history, the very reason modelers exist.
And no, endless high gain blind tests don't mean s**t, I tell you that from experience.
Agreed , Helix has the best effects, now have amazing cabs, so whats left ? Revamping Amps
id much rather see this than any other additions of new amps or effects etc, although some more studio gear might be nice you know like maybe a Pultec

I assume they don't fix it because not enough people complain
Probably this, I'm guessing a small percentage of players are gearheads enough to go online, register on forums and discuss this type of stuff. People just don't care.
But on the other hand, L6 should care! Modeling amps is their business.

Mind you there is not much really to do in the Amps a revamp would be more of a refinement seeing most of the Helix amps sound really great

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party, because I use hxedit almost exclusively, but I finally reached down and turned a knob on the physical unit and..

OMG, you guys are right. The "ballistics" are 1000% better than they used to be!
I might actually use them more often now

Any Helix users try out this Double take?
Just started tweaking with it.... oh man is this awesome :eek:
cant wait to try it on my next recording
I used to use it occasionally but for recording I usually just do multiple takes. With the new cab engine I've taken to dual cabs panned, different mics, and a largish delay. The different mics emphasize different parts of the spectrum so there's some cool spacial illusions that happen with headphones. Not sure how it would hold up to stereo speakers though. Been a while since I messed with double take, matbe I should give it another spin.

Any Helix users try out this Double take?
Just started tweaking with it.... oh man is this awesome :eek:
cant wait to try it on my next recording

I used to use it occasionally but for recording I usually just do multiple takes. With the new cab engine I've taken to dual cabs panned, different mics, and a largish delay. The different mics emphasize different parts of the spectrum so there's some cool spacial illusions that happen with headphones. Not sure how it would hold up to stereo speakers though. Been a while since I messed with double take, matbe I should give it another spin.

Because, FOMO, I tried the Double Take this afternoon, and I still prefer the Tile Reverb or even a Simple Pitch panned, with no interval change to the Double Take. It was a quick experiment, and maybe I didn't set the parameters right, but, no need for me to change.

Either that, or, I don't want to hear just left and right with no center info, and that might be why I like the Tile.

Well i guess it depends on how its used where its placed and your monitoring system
my Dual Powercabs are placed in each corner and it changed the whole perception of how the tone sounds is in my room
so I guess its a YMMV

Back