Helix Talk

There are a few amp topologies which take a digital input directly, but I don't think I've ever seen these used in guitar gear.

That's not what I was thinking about - but about all the typical DSP controlled monitors around. Which are as well introducing some latency due to that.

I revive my excitement for the Helix by building a new patch around an amp I’ve ignored. This last weekend it was the WhoWatt. I even used the legacy cabinet. Sounds great.
I love the whowatt. Super clean, bright, high headroom. Sounds great with the york hiwatt IR which is pretty dark, perfect balance.

I tried the Stone Age recently, never really messed with it before, that amp is awesome. Underrated model in helix for sure.

I love the whowatt. Super clean, bright, high headroom. Sounds great with the york hiwatt IR which is pretty dark, perfect balance.

I tried the Stone Age recently, never really messed with it before, that amp is awesome. Underrated model in helix for sure.
I love the WhoWatt amp and cab, and use it a lot. Great pedal platform for real drive pedals too. The IR cab I probably use more just because it works well with a variety of models.

Tried to like the WhoWatt but never managed. Have been playing the original on plenty of rehearsals and almost bought it back in the days (it's been kinda part of the rehearsal room's inventory) because it's been a fantastic pedal platform - but I can't find myself recognizing it in the HX model for whatever (possibly strange) reasons, I think it's pretty brittle and partially harsh. Sure, there's ways to tame it - but why, in case there's lots of other pedal platform amps I can use instead?

Talking about pedal platforms, just played a gig where I could only bring the small Stomp-board. Used one single patch for electrics all evening (and a second patch for the acoustic), Princess through the Mandarin 30 cab, a Hustle Drive (OCD clone) and a Rated Boost (RC Boost clone) in the loop. Most excellent, both cleans and driven sounds worked equally well. For leads I'm adding a Vetta Comp pre-amp, an EQ and a delay/verb (Heliosphere for driven sounds, Dynamic Plate for cleans), their settings work as great for clean/dirt. Clean/dirt switch, rhythm/lead switch, even had a block and a switch left, so I added a Chorus this time (pre-everything) as I needed some 70/80 flavour here and there. External dual switch served as a tuner and to cycle between my electric and acoustic patch.
People said the sound was just fine. Amazing little box.

Tried to like the WhoWatt but never managed.
I've always thought that in theory I should like Hiwatt, but I too have failed to appreciate the WhoWatt. When I need a clean sound (with or without OD pedals) in the end it is difficult for me to use anything else than my beloved Archon Clean!
(the 2203 amp with low input anyway could challenge it)

When I need a clean sound (with or without OD pedals) in the end it is difficult for me to use anything else than my beloved Archon Clean!

I should possibly give that one another testride.
My (pretty much totally clean) pedal platform favourites are the Princess, the MKVI Ch. 1 (the EQ being great to finetune the sound) and now possibly the Clarity, but I need to give that a full spin, too. The Princess IMO is nice for anything where the basic sound could do with just a tad "hair", not even really breaking up, just "giving in" a bit when you push it. Seems to gel things together nicely.
I sometimes run all of them as the last thing in the chain, too, hence exactly as you would in the physical world when using a pedal platform amp.

MKVI Ch. 1
I agree on that, it's an excellent clean amp with pedals and I also built some presets with it. But imho MKVI-ch1 takes more tweaks to make it work well. On the contrary with the Archon Clean I get more "immediate" satisfaction, and it has a wide range of sounds (from mid scooped to the opposite and more). MKIV-ch1 is more limited, I mean just few sweet spots. All is still imho and ymmv...

Bug Report;
Dynamic Plate reverb hasa bug in the Motion Range (MotRange) that adds digital artifacts.
To hear it turn up Damping, Mix and MotRange to max. play low E.

Happens with HX One, Stomp XL, and Native.

bug.png

Do you use the Dripman amp at all? Great cleans and breakup tones. A little smoother than the WhoWatt so you may like it more.

For no apparent reasons, I keep forgetting to give this a serious testrun (well, it's likely because it's in the Bass Amp section). Will finally do so later on.
But seriously, I think there's plenty of pretty decent pedal platform choices already - especially when using real analog pedals, IMO the HX series is doing extremely well. And fwiw, they're working fine in loops IMO, too, but the main inputs take dirt pedals as good as it gets. Even so much better than the Amplifirebox which I'm currently using as the main dirt platform channel on my board that I'm tinkering about a new board routing since a while already (HX Stomp only serves as an FX unit atm).

For no apparent reasons, I keep forgetting to give this a serious testrun (well, it's likely because it's in the Bass Amp section). Will finally do so later on.
But seriously, I think there's plenty of pretty decent pedal platform choices already - especially when using real analog pedals, IMO the HX series is doing extremely well. And fwiw, they're working fine in loops IMO, too, but the main inputs take dirt pedals as good as it gets. Even so much better than the Amplifirebox which I'm currently using as the main dirt platform channel on my board that I'm tinkering about a new board routing since a while already (HX Stomp only serves as an FX unit atm).
Yep, not sure why there can't be at least an alias in the guitar folder for Dripman, or just move it there altogether.

Funny, I just made a new patch with the dripman yesterday, and it’s awesome. I forgot about it because its hidden in the bass amp section. I can see the whowatt being brittle, but with the york hiwatt IR its a little bright but smooth as butter. I happen to think the dripman can get brittle too, same for the litigator which everyone seems to love. I think a lot of it is in the cabs. I’ve been going through all my favorite amps and making new presets with York IRs instead of the cabs I was using, some of the cabs are good but the york IR mixes are just foolproof. Moving the virtual mic around in the cabs feels like trying to pin the tail on the donkey. I am doing all these new ones in mono, with one IR instead of two cabs, and mono reverbs and delays. They sound great and I know they’ll work well with one or two speakers. I think for hx stomp this is the way for me from now on, I am not running out of DSP and I’m actually able to use 8 blocks with all but the grammatico gsg, that one is hungry.

Strange regarding the Hiwatt..
I always thought the Helix Hiwatt cab sounded awesome, so much so that i couldn’t like the York Hiwatt cab at all. The YA added a boxy tonality that I couldn’t gel with. The Helix cab just sounded better to me. Maybe it just was my telecaster/pickups that worked perfectly with that stock cab.

I always thought the Helix Hiwatt cab sounded awesome, so much so that i couldn’t like the York Hiwatt cab at all. The YA added a boxy tonality that I couldn’t gel with. The Helix cab just sounded better to me. Maybe it just was my telecaster/pickups that worked perfectly with that stock cab.
It's for sure one of my top go to cabs in Helix. But many of the cabs sound good in there -- and tweaking the hi and low cut, mic, etc. can do wonders.

Interesting, I guess we’ve all got different guitars and speakers and ears so good thing we have so many options. Boxy is not a description I would give to the york hiwatt IR in any situation I have tried it in. It’s one of my favorite IRs. I play a strat.

I know I personally go back and forth all the time with tones, I wouldn’t be surprised if I find myself agreeing with you in the future and even going back to using helix cabs again. One day something sounds perfect and the next day I’m changing it.

Back