Helix Talk

can't break old presets, they got to do a whole new amp for that. but is OK, it getting better every time long time
surely putting a switch that defaults to off/original wouldn’t bork anything?

Or shuffle the legacy stuff around. Line 6 has some killer amps in their collection, just too many amps in there that have had the snip

EDIT: and in the case of the Shiva, it’s just a better amp with a bright cap. IMO the revision Line 6 have is the worst sounding revision of that amp

Or shuffle the legacy stuff around. Line 6 has some killer amps in their collection, just too many amps in there that have had the snip

EDIT: and in the case of the Shiva, it’s just a better amp with a bright cap. IMO the revision Line 6 have is the worst sounding revision of that amp

well, yes, but if they were all still fertile, you couldn't use half the boost options available with gain below 10 o'clock. but if they're all snipped, and you want that asses of destruction tone, just pop a little tilt eq before the amp a bass go bye bye. line 6 like to make a lot of sense

well, yes, but if they were all still fertile, you couldn't use half the boost options available with gain below 10 o'clock. but if they're all snipped, and you want that asses of destruction tone, just pop a little tilt eq before the amp a bass go bye bye. line 6 like to make a lot of sense
too much faff to approximate an imaginary circuit. These modelling companies have developed their shit over years to make stuff like this trivial and accurate

too much faff to approximate an imaginary circuit. These modelling companies have developed their shit over years to make stuff like this trivial and accurate

1000133749.gif

Jubilee would be good. But not before adding bright caps to the amps that don’t have them
Not that the Brit Plexi model sounds bad but it would definitely be nice to have 1959HW, 1987X models as well. Brit J45 doesn't have a bright cap either if I'm not wrong. The only model that has a bright cap must be Brit Trem.

Your comparison video between Brit Plexi and your Super Bass with Adam Jones mods is quite good. I've always wanted to ask though. Does it lack a bright cap as well?

As far as I'm aware, every "component" that Line 6 adds to their models increases the DSP usage, whether it is in use or not, because the DSP allocation is based on the maximum amount that the model *could* use.

A switchable bright cap probably wouldn't consume very much DSP at all, but I can't see Line 6 adding one to existing models unless they can find a way to further optimise those models to bring the DSP allocation below the current level.

Not that the Brit Plexi model sounds bad but it would definitely be nice to have 1959HW, 1987X models as well. Brit J45 doesn't have a bright cap either if I'm not wrong. The only model that has a bright cap must be Brit Trem.

Your comparison video between Brit Plexi and your Super Bass with Adam Jones mods is quite good. I've always wanted to ask though. Does it lack a bright cap as well?

per Ben Adrian's post at TOP. My amp does have a bright cap, gets very aggressive and gainy very quickly. Instantly blows your head off. My guess is most modeller uses would go WTF if they've never experienced it before, its not really a logic 0-10 taper/design.

The Line 6 1968 Superlead is somewhere in between. There is no bright cap strapped to the bright volume pot. The bright channel does have the .0022uf coupling cap and the 560pf high shelf cap strapped to the 470k channel mixing resistor. The cathodes are also separated, but both channels have 820 ohm cathode resistors as opposed to a 2.7k on the bright channel.

So, the Line 6 owned 1968 Model 1959 Superlead Plexi is definitely weird. I have no idea if it was a transition model, if it was an older unit that was half modded into the later circuit, or if it's something else entirely. I won't know for sure until the shelter in place band is lifted and I can go into the office and take the amp apart.

Same post mentions the Soldano not having a bright cap for either channel either :( That SLO sounds quite good to me, but the bright switch and depth mod can be quite handy.

As far as I'm aware, every "component" that Line 6 adds to their models increases the DSP usage, whether it is in use or not, because the DSP allocation is based on the maximum amount that the model *could* use.

A switchable bright cap probably wouldn't consume very much DSP at all, but I can't see Line 6 adding one to existing models unless they can find a way to further optimise those models to bring the DSP allocation below the current level.
I guess the best solution would be to take advantage of a legacy folder. Assuming the HX line continues to receive development, there's definitely more than a few amps that would benefit from "remastering". I suppose having the older versions as "legacy" would mean there is a low DSP option for those that need it, and updated ones can have a little more in the way of mods and switches. Maybe.

Fwiw, HXN could do with a service update. Keeps causing error messages within Logic (MB Air M3, latest macOS, latest Logic) after a while of idling in the background. Can usually be restored just fine but it's still irritating. And it's the only plugin causing these messages.

I have a question for you fellow helix/hx owners, do you think L6 are withholding innvoations for their next flagship?

I love Line 6 products (the good ones) and I am ready to buy their next flagship on a whim because I know they gathered enough information to leave the copycats in the dust.

I have a question for you fellow helix/hx owners, do you think L6 are withholding innvoations for their next flagship?
I would be surprised if they're not. They take good care of their current products but they must have an eye on the future.

I love Line 6 products (the good ones) and I am ready to buy their next flagship on a whim because I know they gathered enough information to leave the copycats in the dust.
I’d imagine most/all new features wouldn’t be possible on the current gen and things that can be ported across will

Imo they went far beyond what initially maybe even was possible with the HX stuff. They’ve basically done over things (cabs, command center, quality of life, functions after the fact, shoehorning a bunch, low hanging fruit) that undoubtedly have cost them a lot of work. Looking at the almost 10 year history, the stuff they’ve done, no other brand ever has gone to these lengths. Something changed, they broke the old “something new comes next year and last years stuff is useless” trend within this specific market.

To take a stab at the entry level/beginner market also marks a confidence and reassurance in how mature the stuff is and becoming. I expect another 5-10 years of HX being their “standard” and popular. The foothold will be enormous for them.

Overlap will possibly (most certainly) happen, with something new, flagship. I also expect this overlap to be quite long before HX is seriously considered old.

Just my thoughts about it… nothing of it may or may not make sense, I’m probably completely wrong about everything. But its thoughts.

I think realistically too, given the success of the Helix product line the customers Line 6 can realistically go for:

- existing Helix customers (needs to be a very obvious improvement)
- customers who used to use Helix, and have switched to TMP/QC/AxeFX/Kemper/ToneX (needs to offer capturing or a big touchscreen)
- users who’ve never used digital (simple/enticing GUI)
- users who never used Helix and went for a more modern modeller (touch screen/capturing/new features)

I genuinely think most of those market segments are relatively small compared to the people Line 6 are making money from right now. To sell in comparably huge numbers for something new, they’d need something that is a drastic and obvious improvement from the current line, which also appeals to people who might have been eyeing up a QC/TMP/ToneX.

The reason I think it’ll continue from the same base as existing products is they wouldn’t be retiring one product; they’d have to retire like 20 of them. And in reality, a new cutting edge flagship built on the same tech as these existing options will help sell more PodGO’s, DL4’s, Catalysts etc than making all of these “old tech“ in one go. Way more cost effective to just keep updating them if they’re selling well already.

I'm conflicted on this. I've had great fun playing with the Helix for years, and yet every time I plug into Archetype Plini or Neural Amp Modeler I'm amazed at how easily the tones come compared to my constant tweaking in the Helix. I'm also a kitchen sink preset and ambient/P&W player, so I like my big washy sounds and extensive stacked effects, and the Helix does this as good as any of the competition, especially with parameter assignments and snapshots. I just wish the amp models just sang a bit easier like they do on some other products.

how easily the tones come compared to my constant tweaking in the Helix.
This is an area that i think they should take seriously. Regarding that, the only thing they’ve made that somewhat appeals to that is the Pod Express. Many have said it in reviews. There’s no denying it.
But Neural kinda does that thing better, using artists and social media drive for the artists presets.

Back