Helix Talk

Talking about cabs, as of lately, my absolute favourite for an allround amp would be the Mandarin 2x12, even the default setting seems to work for pretty much anything, but occasionally I may use the good old 57 or whatever.
No exact idea what makes this cab special, but for me it kinda stands out and has a huge "just works" factor for pretty much all styles I'm into.

I’m not currently playing live but I like the idea of finding one cab/IR that just works for everything, I know that would make on stage sound more consistent and easier to manage. I’m thinking either a V30 or Greenback would be the way to go for versatility. I’m guessing the mandarin cab is V30?
I played various helix models through a real vintage 30 112 cab a while back and realized how versatile that speaker is. It does as well with fender cleans as it does with the higher gain stuff people tend to use them for. I am more of a clean pedal platform player, I don’t do high amp gain. I expected not to like it and it totally surprised me.

I’m not currently playing live but I like the idea of finding one cab/IR that just works for everything, I know that would make on stage sound more consistent and easier to manage. I’m thinking either a V30 or Greenback would be the way to go for versatility. I’m guessing the mandarin cab is V30?
I played various helix models through a real vintage 30 112 cab a while back and realized how versatile that speaker is. It does as well with fender cleans as it does with the higher gain stuff people tend to use them for. I am more of a clean pedal platform player, I don’t do high amp gain. I expected not to like it and it totally surprised me.
You might try the Creamback 112 with the M 160 mic. Clearer than Greenbacks, smoother than V30s.

Tried the Dripman. Not bad, not replacing my current clean pedal platform choices at all, though. With the Mandarin cab it's defenitely usable, but IMO the basic gain is too high, there's rather little clean headroom, so adjusting things around the parameter position when things start to get hairy seems a little trickier than with others. Could use the Input Pad, but why when there's others doing better already?

Fwiw, some cab/amp things:

- Has been mentioned quite often already, but still: I wish so much that the amp settings would stay intact when switching from an amp&cab block to just an amp block (or vice versa).

- Has as well been mentioned quite often already, but still: I wish so much there was an IR option available for amp&cab blocks.

- Has as well been mentioned sort of often already, but still: The cab in an a&c block should offer a bypass function.

- Don't think this has been mentioned already: I think it'd be great if you could lock the cab in an amp&cab block, so I could look through all amps while playing through my favourite cab. Add an IR block (see above) and I think I wouldn't need separate blocks anymore in 95% of all situations.

- Don't think this has been mentioned already: I wish I could copy amp and cab settings from their individual blocks to the amp&cab block.

- True for all block types, has been mentioned already, possibly most useful when trying amps: As long as I stay within one block, I wish the last used settings of whatever model would be kept intact when going through some other models and then returning. Would make amp comparisons *sooo* much easier - and as said, this should work for all block types. It's the way Zoom does it (even if you switch between different blocks for the same slot) and it's excellent, no way around it.

These are the kinda things I'd finally like to see in an update. Got enough amps already, time for some usability improvements (did I ever mention global blocks or better parameter orders? Hrrrhrrrhrrr...).

Last edited:
You can’t go wrong with either. I used a York Greenback IR for years, then had a brief flirtation with the Open Cast and now the Cali V30 is on everything. I run direct to PA and you’re right about it keeping things consistent.

j.jpg

When?

probably October/ November

I suspect the 2. that people have been bugging them for years that will be in the next update will be
Silver Jubilee
EVH 5153

and on a long shot possibly Bogner XTC 10b .. based on one comment DI made about the last time I spoke to Reinhold ,"someone else was supposed to but I did it ", . which makes me a bit hopeful , because why are they talking to Reinhold , its either new collaboration or a model

Fwiw, some cab/amp things:

- Has been mentioned quite often already, but still: I wish so much that the amp settings would stay intact when switching from an amp&cab block to just an amp block (or vice versa).

- Has as well been mentioned quite often already, but still: I wish so much there was an IR option available for amp&cab blocks.

- Has as well been mentioned sort of often already, but still: The cab in an a&c block should offer a bypass function.

- Don't think this has been mentioned already: I think it'd be great if you could lock the cab in an amp&cab block, so I could look through all amps while playing through my favourite cab. Add an IR block (see above) and I think I wouldn't need separate blocks anymore in 95% of all situations.

- Don't think this has been mentioned already: I wish I could copy amp and cab settings from their individual blocks to the amp&cab block.

- True for all block types, has been mentioned already, possibly most useful when trying amps: As long as I stay within one block, I wish the last used settings of whatever model would be kept intact when going through some other models and then returning. Would make amp comparisons *sooo* much easier - and as said, this should work for all block types. It's the way Zoom does it (even if you switch between different blocks for the same slot) and it's excellent, no way around it.

These are the kinda things I'd finally like to see in an update. Got enough amps already, time for some usability improvements (did I ever mention global blocks or better parameter orders? Hrrrhrrrhrrr...).
And please add an option to lock mic and mic position/parameters when changing cabs. Would make it so much easier to compare cabs.

And please add an option to lock mic and mic position/parameters when changing cabs. Would make it so much easier to compare cabs.
Ohhh how much i have old fart grumpy mumbled over that during the years, hahaha!
And especially in a A/C block… would be sooo damn convenient to just select the preferred mic and setting and just flip through cabs.

Back