Helix 3.7: The Freeman Update

I gotta get on that one. I am having so much fun with the 2203, Clarity, and Voltage I keep forgetting the other new ones that may interest me.

I've had the same 'problem' having so much playing the 2203, dripman and Kinetic that I've not really spent much time with the others.

I know we are talking about amps mostly here in this thread, but I am loving the bloom verb, now I am addicted to it, even for light ambience. With that verb and the non linear (which I haven't tried yet) I have finally removed the Zoom Multistomp from my board. I had it around for lo-fi sounds and the reverse/shoe-gazey verbs, but looks like we can do it all with the Stomp now.

Marshalls with V30s? You must be kidding… Reported! :hmm
IRs from the oversized Friedman 412 with 2 M25s and 2 V30s are always my favourite, you get a great blend of classic and modern rock. I like to think it's similar to how on Enema of the State, Tom Delonge used a Dual Rec with V30s combined with a JCM900 with greenbacks to fill out the mids.

IRs from the oversized Friedman 412 with 2 M25s and 2 V30s are always my favourite, you get a great blend of classic and modern rock. I like to think it's similar to how on Enema of the State, Tom Delonge used a Dual Rec with V30s combined with a JCM900 with greenbacks to fill out the mids.
I’ve also used a blend of V30 and GB for a long time. But lately… I can’t unhear the nasal mids of Mr. V30 as opposed to the sweetness of Ms. Greenback…

I’ve also used a blend of V30 and GB for a long time. But lately… I can’t unhear the nasal mids of Mr. V30 as opposed to the sweetness of Ms. Greenback…
Alright then, my main IR is a mix of the Ownhammer V93 Brown 09, and the M25V Brown 09 mixed 2dB lower. I'll give the M25V a shot solo over the weekend and see if I become a believer!

Alright then, my main IR is a mix of the Ownhammer V93 Brown 09, and the M25V Brown 09 mixed 2dB lower. I'll give the M25V a shot solo over the weekend and see if I become a believer!

For me, I like the V30 under heavy crunch -- it stays tight and thumps great. I prefer GB for classic rock, it's just so sweet...

For giggles, I ran the 2203 preamp model into the fx return of a DSL1CR thinking it might be a fun experiment. Did not disappoint!

I could not believe how alive and responsive that ended up being and now I’m thinking I might try the same thing but going into the fx return of my Ceriatone 2204. The thought of an infinite channel 2203 seems…perfect.

I found the final kicker/cherry on top/frosting on the cake for the 2203 AND Voltage was straight to the return of my Origin 50 head and a 2x12 of V30's. It's almost like using a Marshall to power it sounds more Marshally.. Who'd a thunk it?

I found the same thing with my jvm, the Kinetic model works really well too.

I posted before catching up on the thread - excited to see others having similar experiences. I’m going to need to do a real in the room comparison soon because at least from my initial tests I’m not sure I could tell the difference between the amp alone vs the helix 2203 preamp.

I’ve been using some form of greenback IR almost exclusively for a couple years now because it’s my favorite for mid gain stuff (love v30s for higher gain). Before my last gig I tried mixing a v30 with the green back and thought I loved it. Halfway into my gig last weekend, I heard the sharp, nasal mids, and couldn’t unhear it. Dumped the tone control on my guitar down quite a bit most of the gig to not totally hate my tone.

Lesson learned….

D

For giggles, I ran the 2203 preamp model into the fx return of a DSL1CR thinking it might be a fun experiment. Did not disappoint!

I could not believe how alive and responsive that ended up being and now I’m thinking I might try the same thing but going into the fx return of my Ceriatone 2204. The thought of an infinite channel 2203 seems…perfect.
I really, reaaally wish Line 6 would devote an update or two to remastering their old amp models with whatever they’ve learned in the last few updates.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I could swear there is some kind of higher fidelity to the most recent models (firmware 3.5+ ish and onward).

I really, reaaally wish Line 6 would devote an update or two to remastering their old amp models with whatever they’ve learned in the last few updates.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I could swear there is some kind of higher fidelity to the most recent models (firmware 3.5+ ish and onward).

The main difference for me is that they don't all sound so same-ish anymore. When you stick with the same cab, there's groups of amps within their older models, that just sound so uninspiring sort of identically, I usually skipped them entirely (such as everything from the Soup Pro to the US Small Tweed - same gain staging, same way too gainy settings). Sure, it's got a whole lot to do with the default settings (that you can change), but hey, they should offer some variety on their own.
IMO it started getting better with the update that also introduced the Princess (too lazy to look up which it was). After that things really took off IMO.

Back