Helix 3.7: The Freeman Update

Late to the "update" party... I must say I find 3.70 as well as the last few updates very disappointing :mad:
First, I purchase a high-end reverb pedal to compensate for the so-so reverbs. What does Line6 do? They upgrade the Helix with top-notch reverbs.
Then, I buy several IR packs to upgrade from the so-so stock cabs. What does Line6 do? They upgrade to a new and very likeable set of cabs.
And finally, just a couple of months ago I purchase a top-notch Marshall-in-a-box pedal to improve on the cr*ppy plexi and JCM models. What does Line6 do? Upgrade with a fantastic 2203 and even better Voltage amp model.

Now why do these guys not have any respect for my hard-earned money? :facepalm

Clip of where I'm at with the new 2203. Boosted high gain, crunchy rock, spanky and clean single coil sounds all in one amp model.

Rumor has it that it's the best amp ever. They say everything before it sucked and everything after it is pointless.

cxcgsrulkck3emauvi6p.jpg

Late to the "update" party... I must say I find 3.70 as well as the last few updates very disappointing :mad:
First, I purchase a high-end reverb pedal to compensate for the so-so reverbs. What does Line6 do? They upgrade the Helix with top-notch reverbs.
Then, I buy several IR packs to upgrade from the so-so stock cabs. What does Line6 do? They upgrade to a new and very likeable set of cabs.
And finally, just a couple of months ago I purchase a top-notch Marshall-in-a-box pedal to improve on the cr*ppy plexi and JCM models. What does Line6 do? Upgrade with a fantastic 2203 and even better Voltage amp model.

Blame it on your mom - she got pregnant two years too early.

Just be glad you weren’t around when everyone was buying squirrel cages! ;)

Yes, seriously. I can't get your fantastic tone from clean to dirty with just my guitar volume knob with the new custom amp models, unlike what I get from my usual favourite amp models (Matchstick both channels, Placater, Ventoux, Litigator) or from the new 2203 and through some od models, too. Maybe it depends on my guitar, my technique or on how I adjusted the amp parameters. I even got a bad impression, reminding me of the Digitech RP dirty amp models, when I adjusted the guitar volume or my pick force and I got lower volume but with the same amount of gain/grit instead of a clean(er) tone. Maybe it's my fault...

I have tried the Voltage amp (my new “plexi” of choice), and after I set the amp to the gain level I like (AC/DC or Kiss level of crunch) it does clean up nicely for me. However, the first time I tried it I had the same impression you are reporting— I was using a higher level of gain because I had forgotten to turn off an OD block. So, the cleanup ability might depend on the amount of saturation. Just saying.

I have tried the Voltage amp (my new “plexi” of choice), and after I set the amp to the gain level I like (AC/DC or Kiss level of crunch) it does clean up nicely for me. However, the first time I tried it I had the same impression you are reporting— I was using a higher level of gain because I had forgotten to turn off an OD block. So, the cleanup ability might depend on the amount of saturation. Just saying.
I'm a huge fan of the new Voltage. The only slight snag for me is that switching the Boost from 0 to >0 flips the phase. Since the voicing between Boost 0 and even 0.1 is quite different, I thought it would be a good footswitch assignment, but I've since left my boost value static.

EDIT: This phase flip will be fixed in 3.71.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of the new Voltage. The only slight snag for me is that switching the Boost from 0 to >0 flips the phase. Since the voicing between Boost 0 and even 0.1 is quite different, I thought it would be a good footswitch assignment, but I've since left my boost value static.
Yeah, to my ear it’s similar to a plexi, but better. It is tight and defined in the low end, but still punchy. Maybe a bit too mid-heavy with the default settings (and I love mids!). Cuts like a knife in the mix. It had dethroned the brit trem brt and my (otherwise awesome) Tsakslis pedal. I haven’t tried the boost though. Isn’t that just an extra gain stage?

I feel like it adds a whole new gain stage, like it's the jump with an adjustable level in. I've also just heard back from @Digital Igloo , the phase inversion on the boost is a bug and will be fixed in 3.71! This is great news, footswitch assigning the boost pretty much makes the Voltage a 2 channel amp!

Does the Voltage amp's boost invert the phase by design/necessity? I had originally footswitch assigned it with a 0 min 3 max, but the phase inversion was something I didn't want to deal with. It's still my number one amp, though I might take a second look at the 2203.

First I've heard of this. Will ask Ben.

EDIT: Ben's confirmed. Fixing now for 3.71...

Back