Helix 3.7: The Freeman Update

I really, reaaally wish Line 6 would devote an update or two to remastering their old amp models with whatever they’ve learned in the last few updates.
Wouldn't hold my breath, I'm guessing that would take a lot of time, and announcement "we made some old amps better" probably doesn't have the same ring as "here are new and shiny things for you!", marketing wise. Law of diminishing returns, something or other...

Wouldn't hold my breath, I'm guessing that would take a lot of time, and announcement "we made some old amps better" probably doesn't have the same ring as "here are new and shiny things for you!", marketing wise. Law of diminishing returns, something or other...
This, but even more important: Line 6 don't f**k with existing presets (remember the Vermin/Ratatouille story?), and while it's not 100% impossible, I don't see them adding "new" models of amps that are already featured.

The main difference for me is that they don't all sound so same-ish anymore. When you stick with the same cab, there's groups of amps within their older models, that just sound so uninspiring sort of identically, I usually skipped them entirely (such as everything from the Soup Pro to the US Small Tweed - same gain staging, same way too gainy settings). Sure, it's got a whole lot to do with the default settings (that you can change), but hey, they should offer some variety on their own.
IMO it started getting better with the update that also introduced the Princess (too lazy to look up which it was). After that things really took off IMO.
Yeah, given the acclaim that the 2203, Dripman, Voltage, and Carillon have gotten, it's hard to imagine that amps like the Soup Pro and US Double Vib wouldn't be better if they were released today. And given that the initial catalogue had lot of classics, I think revisions would be as welcome as new amps. As for making user's old presets sound different, well, they would almost certainly sound better afterwards if they get the love the 2203 did.

Well, to maintain old preset compatibility, they could simply do it similarily to the legacy FX and cabs. Just add a V1 folder and also automatically add a V1 to each older model, so you can instantly see them in your patches.

I do however think many of them would profit from new defaults. I always wanted to create some for each amp but have been too lazy - or rather, if at all, it wasn't exactly to my likings as IRs couldn't be used in an amp&cab block. Should possibly think about it again, now that the cabs have gotten so much better (still hate scrolling to the cab portion of the A&C block on the Stomp, though...).

I really, reaaally wish Line 6 would devote an update or two to remastering their old amp models with whatever they’ve learned in the last few updates.
so much this. hard to put my finger on what it is but the recent amps just sound more refined and nicer. I wouldnt expect drastic differences but just a nicer feel and clarity to things (and maybe an added bright cap here and there). So long as users can roll back to previous firmware, I don't think its anything to be afraid of

Last edited:
so much this. hard to put my finger on what it is but the recent amps just sound more refined and nicer. I wouldnt expect drastic differences but just a nicer feel and clarity to things (and maybe an added bright cap here and there). So long as users can roll back to previous firmware, I don't think its anything to be afraid of

While I would absolutely agree in general, could it as well just be that whomever does these things has taken more care about the amp and cab settings? I would tend to say that the newer amps are "better" (whatever that means...) on their own, but still, we all know how much of a difference factory defaults could make regarding our general perception, compared to carefully tweaked amp settings as well as (or sometimes even more so) different cab and mic choices.

While I would absolutely agree in general, could it as well just be that whomever does these things has taken more care about the amp and cab settings? I would tend to say that the newer amps are "better" (whatever that means...) on their own, but still, we all know how much of a difference factory defaults could make regarding our general perception, compared to carefully tweaked amp settings as well as (or sometimes even more so) different cab and mic choices.
Maybe for some people, but I never use the included cabs and the default settings are still miles off what I tend to use. With any amp I regularly use, I usually try and a/b with the real thing and I’ll match the tone to how I typically dial the real amp, then I save that as a default setting

I'm dusting my REW chops and I thought it would be cool to sweep the new 3.7 amps, I included the REW data file.

REW data file

Helix 3.7.jpg

Or just say "we improved amp X, check your kno... sliders".
You don't see Fractal users crying about improvements.

You are so wrong. Fractal users have learned to accept it and know it is part of using a fractal device. More than a few people left fractal products or rarely or never update for this reason.

I’ve been a fractal user from the Gen 1 units and it has been a major source of frustration. It is one of the things I appreciate most about the L6 approach, they do not break or alter existing presets with their releases.

I’m going to buy an FM9 if they bring the gapless switching and new spring reverb to it, and this is one of the few things I dread about the switch. If I want the goodies in an update, I may have a bunch of presets that have to be revised. For the Fm units, that’s more like something I’ll deal with once or twice a year which I can stomach.

I much prefer the L6 approach and I’ve seen a lot of mirrored comments from other users so I know I’m not alone.

D

You are so wrong. Fractal users have learned to accept it and know it is part of using a fractal device. More than a few people left fractal products or rarely or never update for this reason.

I’ve been a fractal user from the Gen 1 units and it has been a major source of frustration. It is one of the things I appreciate most about the L6 approach, they do not break or alter existing presets with their releases.

I’m going to buy an FM9 if they bring the gapless switching and new spring reverb to it, and this is one of the few things I dread about the switch. If I want the goodies in an update, I may have a bunch of presets that have to be revised. For the Fm units, that’s more like something I’ll deal with once or twice a year which I can stomach.

I much prefer the L6 approach and I’ve seen a lot of mirrored comments from other users so I know I’m not alone.

D
Didn’t NDSP handle this by keeping the “legacy” models from the newer models that were supposedly improved?

If the brainiacs at NDSP can figure this out, I’m sure L6 can. I imagine it’s more about priority at that point.

Didn’t NDSP handle this by keeping the “legacy” models from the newer models that were supposedly improved?

If the brainiacs at NDSP can figure this out, I’m sure L6 can. I imagine it’s more about priority at that point.

I had my stomp for an embarrassing amount of time before I found the legacy stuff. I don't even know how I missed it tbh!

I had my stomp for an embarrassing amount of time before I found the legacy stuff. I don't even know how I missed it tbh!
Yeah, so could there be a POD Legacy and HX Legacy folder to allow amp models to be updated (where relevant) without breaking older presets?

The Legacy Boost Comp model is cool btw. As you may imagine, there’s a @2112 video for that.

Back