Helix 3.7: The Freeman Update

Wow. The metal callout is a bit of an overstatement.

Why, do you use a Mark IV Lead channel in a Britney Spears cover band? :LOL:
Don't answer, it really doesn't matter.

The point was, the Triode/Pentode modes are not hugely different in sound to call for another model, especially in a Line 6 modeler.
Most of the Lead channel sound comes form the Preamp, and yes, most people use these amps for metal.

PS.
A real Mark IIC+ is worth having in your collection Line 6, some day....
Assuming L6 has always held the practice of owning the amps they model, at some point they must have had one in their collection. The POD and PODxt series both had the IIC+. Maybe it was pawned for more man scarves and avocado toast (:troll face-emoji).

IMO a Mark III lead channel with its small handful of pull switches would have probably satisfied most of us without the need to chase down IIC+ unobtanium or having to navigate the Mark IVs labyrinth of switches and pulls. They aren’t exactly the same amps but they are VERY close and I doubt the difference would even be noticeable in a modeling scenario.

Probably opening myself up to get flamed here, but I honestly wouldn’t hate the idea of model packs coming back as Helix gets into its golden years. I realize it would be unreasonable to expect L6 to model Mark I/IIB/IIC+/III due to the redundancy there, but I would sure as hell pay a bit to get access to those if they offered them. Big same if they offered a pack with different Dual/Triple Rectifier revisions.

Last edited:
You know what would be cool, a single high voltage 12ax7 gain stage like in a tube amp preamp where you can change its parameters like gain, cathode and coupling cap values, bias, etc.
It's a great way to "mod" (boost) an existing amp like Jose did by adding a 12ax7 gain stage to NMV amps in the 80s, think hot-rodding a Deluxe Reverb, Plexi, JCM800, etc.

edit:
I am aware of the Studio Tube Pre in the Preamp->Mic section, that's not it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf
You know what would be cool, a single high voltage 12ax7 gain stage like in a tube amp preamp where you can change its parameters like gain, cathode and coupling cap values, bias, etc.
It's a great way to "mod" (boost) an existing amp like Jose did by adding a 12ax7 gain stage to NMV amps in the 80s, think hot-rodding a Deluxe Reverb, Plexi, JCM800, etc.

edit:
I am aware of the Studio Tube Pre in the Preamp->Mic section, that's not it.
You and @the-trooper need to just decide on shared custody of an FM something or other and be done with it :grin

Fractal cannot solve my issue. :p
All the Fractal beta updates and nightlies. Nah, I feel you. More updating than playing. Who can handle that much new amps and pedals on a seemingly weekly basis... 😅

(I'd buy Fractal if: a) they had a better stock. Everytime I look for stuff like the FM3/9 it is either waitlist or out of stock. Helix was never out of stock in Germany. Every major retailer has had it in stock always. b) I heard they have not much for bass players going. Helix is amazing in that part)

"I want a boatload of accurate Marshalls with bright caps, adjustable pre and power amp sections, impedance curves and the whole nine yards"

"I want knobs, not sliders"

Sounds like there is already a "solution". Whether anyone likes that "answer" or not :grin

Helix was never out of stock in Germany.

Helix briefly became unobtanium in Western Europe during the pandemic and the subsequent chip shortages.

Helix Rack, in particular, was out of stock for months at a time. Even large distributors like Thomann had a very hard time sourcing units.

Then again, other manufacturers definitely did worse in given the circumstances.

Helix briefly became unobtanium in Western Europe during the pandemic and the subsequent chip shortages.

Helix Rack, in particular, was out of stock for months at a time. Even large distributors like Thomann had a very hard time sourcing units.
I was shopping for another rack at that time. It was weird as HX stuff is usually always in stock, generally speaking.

I was shopping for another rack at that time. It was weird as HX stuff is usually always in stock, generally speaking.

HX Stomp XLs also became super hard to buy out of the blue. I was shopping for one early in 2022, and was lucky enough to find a return unit at
Musik Produktiv - for a great price too. It looked and played brand new, screen protector and all.

@Lysander I guess during the pandemic was shit for everything and everyone... yet g66 always tells me the stuff I am interested in is not in stock.

Some day of course I'll own a Fractal. Don't know which and when, but it's on the bucket list. Especially since I tried and tested a Kemper and kinda got to know the workflow, yet I have never seen a FAS unit in the wild.

Funny enough the gigs we play (original Rock and Metal) 99% of the other bands show up with big rigs, cabs and pedals. No multi FX.

Your in Luck Bob, perfect timing :D

1687384382209.png

Back