Helix 3.7: The Freeman Update

Line6's approach seems to be "don't break existing stuff." I don't think there's tons of people complaining about their models so they don't have a huge incentive to make fixing any individual model flaws a priority. Instead they might acknowledge the problem exists, put it at the end of a lengthy backlog of "more important stuff" and it just never gets high enough priority to get done and is silently fixed for their next gen products instead.

I would assume the Line6 team is busy dividing their time developing the next big thing (probably coming in 2025 at the earliest) and improving the existing Helix platform.

With one exception, the models aren’t broken they’re just not the stock circuits that some users want. L6 modeled the amps as they are, and some of them were modded or had unusual part values in places.

D

Those are hardly the only options for Marshall tones in Helix though.
Which models are you using that faithfully recreate stock Plexi and 2204 tones? Those are the tones where Helix is coming up short.

The Brit Trem Brt can “kinda” do Plexi but has significant circuit differences. I’ve yet to find anything that can do stock 2204 tones at all.

I do like the Helix JTM45 but again that’s a different sound.

Yeah, it's great tool to integrate with real gear, recording, live, and creating new sounds.

Preamp (pedals, rack units, amp fx send, hx preamp, captures, plugins, etc.)-> HX Poweramp model -> Flat Solid-State Poweramp -> Cab.
Preamp (...) -> HX Poweramp model -> IR -> Monitors/PA.

A Stomp/Native can replace a load box if your tube amp has an FX Send, you can use a virtual poweramp with your real tube preamp with plenty of unique models to choose from for recording/playing/foh etc.

Currently almost nobody offers versatile power amp emulation in software, Helix could kill it with ~40 unique poweramp models with a single update for software and hardware.

I truly admire your dedication! ;)
Thanks, I enjoy being a one man army.
I think if forumers didn't bother, Helix would have been a different product today.

PS.
I am well aware that I am repetitive, annoying and obsessive, this foruming style is very much intentional and I am fine with losing "peer points", I do what I do because I believe ideas and information has value, it reaches the right people at the right time even if they are not Line 6.
In a way, ideas and information improve the evolution of all modelers, whether they appear now in one modeler or years later in another.

Feature request: SoloDallas Storm

The SoloDallas Storm is a pedal conversion of the Schaffer-Vega Diversity System (SVDS), the first wireless system for guitar that was reliable enough to be used by major touring acts. The SVDS was designed by Ken Schaffer and originally released in 1976 by the Vega Corporation. It was used by several famous guitarists including Ace Frehley, David Gilmour and Eddie Van Halen—and most importantly for this particular story, Angus Young of AC/DC.

The pedal is based on this:

The wireless system that holds this circuit was used by many artists in the 70s and 80s to boost their amps, this SVDS circuit has the same iconic status as the Dallas Rangemaster and was part of the sound of many artists live and in the studio.
A lot of modern artists use this pedal too, as can be seen on the official page.

On the technical side, it's a simple but unique OpAmp based circuit with an opto-coupled limiter in the opamp loop.
The pedal can run on 9v-12v DC, the original wireless system ran on 15v DC, will be useful to include a voltage switch in the model.

Schematic:

EDIT:

Last edited:
Thanks, I enjoy being a one man army.
I think if forumers didn't bother, Helix would have been a different product today.

PS.
I am well aware that I am repetitive, annoying and obsessive, this foruming style is very much intentional and I am fine with losing "peer points", I do what I do because I believe ideas and information has value, it reaches the right people at the right time even if they are not Line 6.
In a way, ideas and information improve the evolution of all modelers, whether they appear now in one modeler or years later in another.
giphy.webp

The wireless system that holds this circuit was used by many artists in the 70s and 80s to boost their amps, this SVDS circuit has the same iconic status as the Dallas Rangemaster and was part of the sound of many artists live and in the studio.
A lot of modern artists use this pedal too, as can be seen on the official page.

On the technical side, it's a simple but unique OpAmp based circuit with an opto-coupled limiter in the opamp loop.
The pedal can run on 9v-12v DC, the original wireless system ran on 15v DC, will be useful to include a voltage switch in the model.

Schematic:

EDIT:

I’ve been meaning to request the same thing! I’m super curious how much it really changes the sound versus other boosts/preamps, just not enough to shell out the money for that tower unit…

I’d be equally happy for team L6 to order one and tell me it’s basically the same sound as model X so there’s no need to model the Schaefer too…

D

It would be awesome if the 3.7 fairy dropped the presence pull shifts for the Mesa Mark IV. The pull brights and pull fats would be cool too, but aren’t as essential for my use cases.

The presence shift needs to be pulled to cough up the 2C+ stuff on the lead channel. I need that in my life.

The presence shift needs to be pulled to cough up the 2C+ stuff on the lead channel. I need that in my life.

We already have the Pulled Presence poweramp emulated in Rhythm 1, the only thing the Pull Presence does is bypass one cap in the NFB but radically changes the poweramp and presence control response.
All they have to do is copy paste the Lead Preamp with the Rhythm 1 Poweramp, the only 'work' here is to think how to name the new model.

mk 4 pres.png

The response of the poweramp between Pushed and Pulled is VERY different.

With Pulled (Rhythm 1) the presence acts as a high shelf and a gradual introduction to the cab impedance curve and a slight boost as you turn the presence up, this is the classic Mark presence response.

With Pushed (Lead) we have a massive permanent 15db resonance peak and a wonky presence range, some people like it for brutal metal sound at low volumes, others think it's unusable.
As you can imagine the graphic EQ settings will be radically different and one can't use the standard Metallica V shape EQ settings with this model and expect good results.
Trivia: This was the Extreme mode in the Mark V.

We already have the correct/desired IIC+ poweramp response RIGHT NOW, but we can't use it with the Lead channel.
Below are measured poweramp response form the current Helix models with Presence 0 to 10, preamp response removed.

mkiv-r1-presence-flat-png.6493

mkiv-lead-presence-flat-png.6494

keep away michael jordan GIF

Last edited:
I’d be equally happy for team L6 to order one and tell me it’s basically the same sound as model X so there’s no need to model the Schaefer too…
It can be kinda sorta emulated with the opto comp and some eq and boost, but so can everything else.
Maybe not worth the full Schaffer unit but the pedal model of it definitely worth having, it has a 'sound'.

Currently my favorite boost in the Helix is the Plumes with no clipping diodes, it has a huge clean headroom and versatile HPF response which I like more than your standard options like the SD-1, TS, Klon, etc.

Thanks for posting this very interesting, I've never heard of this wirelesses system.

From their website talking about the original wireless system "However, Schaffer designed it to boost low-mid range frequencies usually lost in wireless transmission, as well as to compand (compress then expand) the signal, thus providing the added side effect of enhancing the instrument’s tone." It would be fun to try to recreate that with the current Helix blocks available to us. I would recommend reading the background history of how the replicas came to fruition https://solodallas.com/the-schaffer-replica-history

Schematic:

EDIT:

I know a local guy (Vienna, Austria) who supposedly was involved in the design process for the Solodallas unit(s).

Seems they actually nailed "that" sound.

We already have the Pulled Presence poweramp emulated in Rhythm 1, the only thing the Pull Presence does is bypass one cap in the NFB but radically changes the poweramp and presence control response.
All they have to do is copy paste the Lead Preamp with the Rhythm 1 Poweramp, the only 'work' here is to think how to name the new model.

View attachment 8202

The response of the poweramp between Pushed and Pulled is VERY different.

With Pulled (Rhythm 1) the presence acts as a high shelf and a gradual introduction to the cab impedance curve and a slight boost as you turn the presence up, this is the classic Mark presence response.

With Pushed (Lead) we have a massive permanent 15db resonance peak and a wonky presence range, some people like it for brutal metal sound at low volumes, others think it's unusable.
As you can imagine the graphic EQ settings will be radically different and one can't use the standard Metallica V shape EQ settings with this model and expect good results.
Trivia: This was the Extreme mode in the Mark V.

We already have the correct/desired IIC+ poweramp response RIGHT NOW, but we can't use it with the Lead channel.
Below are measured poweramp response form the current Helix models with Presence 0 to 10, preamp response removed.

mkiv-r1-presence-flat-png.6493

mkiv-lead-presence-flat-png.6494

keep away michael jordan GIF
I concluded that too when I was wondering why my 80Hz graphic eq was so low on the lead channel. A -8dB 107Hz 2.5q para eq after the amp fixed it for me.
A presence shift switch in the models would be nice.

I concluded that too when I was wondering why my 80Hz graphic eq was so low on the lead channel. A -8dB 107Hz 2.5q para eq after the amp fixed it for me.
A presence shift switch in the models would be nice.
Listening to some of the tones in this video, some of those bright and fat functions would be nice to have in addition to the (IMO essential) presence shifts.

Some of the tones using the “mid-gain” and presence shift are CRAZY aggressive in that video. Way too much gain happening there IMO but man does it punch.

I have to give L6 credit here, as there is def a strong resemblance to their Mark 4 lead model when he’s riffing around with the presence pushed. They nailed that even if it’s not what I’d want from a Mark series high gain lead channel.

I’d never expect L6 to follow up with all the tonal switches and special functions of this amp, but good lord imagine if they did. I think they could deliver one of the best Mesa Mark sims out there.

Note: please don't quote the entire thing, I might want to edit this post.

Some info about the important switches on the Mark IV.

PULL FAT:
Pulling this control adds a bigger treble cap in the tonestack shifting the treble frequency lower, effectively it's a low-mid frequency boost.
The Lonestart model (Cali Texas) has a 3-way switch for this cap, why did they skip it in the Mark IV model?
Most people Pull this control for the Metallica/Petrucci sound, it was modeled Pushed.

PULL BRIGHT:
Adds a small cathode cap in the 4th preamp gain stage resulting in a 6dB high shelf boost with a center frequency of 300Hz making things gainier, brighter and tighter.
It can be emulated by adding this high shelving boost filter before the gain stage to add gain and saturation.
On the IIC+ Metallica didn't Pull this control, Petrucci did.
* I used this calculator (LINK) to find what the extra cap does to the gain stage.

PRESENCE PULL SHIFT:
The most important tone shaping control in the Mark IV, it rearranges the NFB network in the poweramp that interacts with the cab and presence control.
Both Push and Pull should be modeled, each offers a completely different type of sound.
For the IIC+ sound we want it Pulled but the Lead channel was modeled with it Pushed.
As said, they already modeled it Pulled in the Rhythm 1 channel so it's a low hanging fruit, just add a new Lead channel with Rhythm 1 poweramp and make the Helix Mark IV Lead model have the classic Mark sound.

Triode/Pentode:
Rewires the two outer power tubes pair as Pentode or Triode.
Mark IIC+ and III had several models, DRG models were wired as Triode and had 75W, HRG were wired as Pentode and had 100W.
Petrucci used the HRG Pentode 100W models which his JP2C amp based on.
Metallica used the DRG Triode 75W models, their IIC++ amps were also DRG.
For most intents and purposes a Mark amp is used for (read: METAL) this can be left on Pentode.

Harmonics/Mid-Gain:
Similar to Pull Bright, Mid-Gain adds a cathode cap on the 5th (last) preamp gain stage, resulting in about 4dB high shelf boost with a center frequency of 80Hz, this is an "all frequency" tone shaping boost.
It can be emulated by adding this high shelving boost filter before the gain stage to add gain and saturation.
Mark IIC+ and III did not have this cathode cap, set it to Harmonics and forget it.

----

In essence, when modeling the Mark IV they could have made better (more popular) choices regarding the fixed switches, mainly including the Pull Fat switch for the tonestack and using the Presence Pulled poweramp, the model could have covered a LOT more Mark sounds or at least the more popular sounds of bands like Lamb of God, Dream Theater and Metallica.

PS.
A real Mark IIC+ is worth having in your collection Line 6, some day....

Last edited:
Here's another good playthrough demo where he shows how all the switches (front and back) affect the sound.

From 7:50 to the end is the interesting part, the entire video is a great demonstration of this amp.

Back