Helix 3.2 when?

The reducing of dsp in the cab block may help to use certain combinations of blocks that was not possible before. I need to test it, but I can say that I’m always riding on the dsp with my use of several reverbs and delay. This is mostly because I’m almost always using a A+C block. The new cab will help me squeeze more into a preset.
“Poly capo has joined the chat?”

man i just gotta say i am again impressed with how Line 6 actually listens to what people want and then gives it to us. i think we all were saying the cab sims could be better and different mic positions would be nice and then bam... there you go and its free by the way you dont have to buy a whole new piece of gear like with fractal. i think this is one of the best parts of having a helix, the updates have been so good and each time have been exactly what the users were asking for.

its free by the way you dont have to buy a whole new piece of gear like with fractal.
Not to turn this into a fractal v line 6 but the insane amount of updates that have come to fractal units, specifically the Axe Fx 3 is wild and all have been free. Both the frequency and content

Lets just be happy with this major update and not ruin it by comparing to other gear

This. Especially for the Stomp users.
Yuppers
A block limit is a block limit though. Correct? Reducing DSP is great but you are still at 8 blocks. So if you are replacing an amp and separate IR block with one amp+cab block; that will yield extra room in a preset. Unless I am missing some math somewhere :rofl
Not exactly. 8 blocks, yes. But I wasn't able to run a Klon into a Prince of Tone, into an amp, into an IR, into a delay, into reverb, into the LA2.

Yuppers

Not exactly. 8 blocks, yes. But I wasn't able to run a Klon into a Prince of Tone, into an amp, into an IR, into a delay, into reverb, into the LA2.
Lucky I love the Ventoux because it allows me to get most tmsruff I want into my stomp presets.

My first impressions (no idea how much of this is due to some psychological phenomenon or another).

Going back to one of my standard presets, there are some differences in how things sound. Better to my ear. Most noticeable was something about the Dynamic Plate Verb--seemed to give a more convincing sense of space.

The preset had the Ventoux as an A+C block. I deleted that and substituted the amp-only Ventoux plus a cab. I tried 2: the princess 1X10 and the Blue Bell 2X12. Default settings. Both were really good. I don't know how to describe it other than they felt powerful.

Overall I though the quality of general distortion/overdrive is improved. Seemed a lot more harmonic--had that good ringy quality rather than raspy. I tuned my guitar this week so maybe that's part of it. ;) It also seemed like muted strings sounded a little more like they should.

I tried the new 4-voice chorus. It was cool but I didn't twiddle many knobs and at the defaults it didn't knock my socks off. It's as good as any other chorus model I've tried though. Have to give it some more time.

I tried the dynamic ambience too. Guess I'm not sure what that one is supposed to do. At the defaults it seemed like a very mild reverb. Need to spend some more time with it.

I played through a few of the new factory presets. They sounded pretty decent but I can't really compare them to before. I didn't come across any that sounded harsh and awful the way some in the past have.

I wanted to work in words like "chewy" and "bouncy" and "Amp where I'm at" and stuff but I'm not enough of a tone guy to use those convincingly.

First impression: really cool update.

Apologies to participants on the other forum--I'll probably cut/paste the above over there too.

Last edited:
@Digital Igloo , any chance we see more of the legacy cabs recaptured/ported to the new engine? Yes, this is me being excessively greedy by asking, but goddamn, you weren't lying - these make a tremendous difference. Been playing with the new cabs for 1h now, with the stupidest grin plastered all over my face.

Congratulations! And please let the L6 team know this random forum nobody really appreciates their work :)

I tried the dynamic ambience too. Guess I'm not sure what that one is supposed to do. At the defaults it seemed like a very mild reverb. Need to spend some more time with it.

The new Dynamic Ambience is a godsend if you play through headphones, or want to record realistic "amp in the room" tones. The effect is subtle, like you mention, but it really adds a layer of realistic 3d space that i wasn't really getting with other reverb types in Helix.

The new Dynamic Ambience is a godsend if you play through headphones, or want to record realistic "amp in the room" tones. The effect is subtle, like you mention, but it really adds a layer of realistic 3d space that i wasn't really getting with other reverb types in Helix.
I was actually checking it out with phones. I'll have to try again and listen more carefully. I've been using dynamic plate and dynamic room for that purpose. Thanks.

Won’t lie, I did take a quick peek at used Stomps after the update dropped. lol

Join the dark side already! :D Seriously, there's no reason not to have a HX Stomp arround - even if you use it for two or three sounds.
Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Oh yeah… I’m liking the mic position thingy (not talking about the Edit ui)
It’s great also to see “center”, “cap edge” and “edge” displayed in the stomp window when adjusting the slider through its range.
Telling y’all, I wasn’t very keen on using cuts before. But this kinda puts an end to messing around with it. My ears quickly found a happy spot at “cap edge”, high cut removed with a dynamic. Ribbons i would keep on center at the moment.

I may be wrong but this could replace the legacy Roland SDE which i find i use quite often

Dynamic Ambience (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original ambience reverb. At less extreme settings can be used to "open up" the sound of your amp without applying a notable reverb effect. Also utilizes less DSP than other Dynamic reverbs.

Back