Guitar to amp/modeler price ratio: Mine is pretty out of whack

Does Doug Castro get a frequent flyer discount? ;)
macho-man.gif

I love Al. He’s one of my all time favorite guitarists
I read about him in guitar magazines, etc., didn't really know anything about jazz or fusion music, but was kinda sorta interested in learning, because I always like the idea of combing stuff, so in or about 1992, I walked into Camelot Music, found the only copy of Kiss My Axe they had was on cassette but snagged it anyway, despite the fact that the two friends I was with could do nothing but bend over laughing at the cover and make "sure you're buying that to check out the guitar playing..." jokes...

...and spent two weeks listening to it just to get to where I could move past the sound of it and listen to the notes of it. I remember wanting So.Badly. to have my eyes opened to a whole new musical experience and...I did find a few bits that were kind of moving, but mostly just wound up confused as to why this guy was seen as such a guitar hero. Several years later I did snag Elegant Gypsy and was pretty blown away by it. But also felt kinda like "oh, this is sort of a like Hendrix, where you've gotta put it into context of what had happened up to that point to really get why people are THIS reverential for this stuff."

Some people play the guitar. Other people play the effects. YMMV

If I've been window shopping for SLO30s and actually go through with it; I probably won't be righting this item to item price imbalance anytime soon :bag

It's still there....... :headbang

There was one up for 1900 free shipping a couple days ago. I imagine it sold quick

I read about him in guitar magazines, etc., didn't really know anything about jazz or fusion music, but was kinda sorta interested in learning, because I always like the idea of combing stuff, so in or about 1992, I walked into Camelot Music, found the only copy of Kiss My Axe they had was on cassette but snagged it anyway, despite the fact that the two friends I was with could do nothing but bend over laughing at the cover and make "sure you're buying that to check out the guitar playing..." jokes...

...and spent two weeks listening to it just to get to where I could move past the sound of it and listen to the notes of it. I remember wanting So.Badly. to have my eyes opened to a whole new musical experience and...I did find a few bits that were kind of moving, but mostly just wound up confused as to why this guy was seen as such a guitar hero. Several years later I did snag Elegant Gypsy and was pretty blown away by it. But also felt kinda like "oh, this is sort of a like Hendrix, where you've gotta put it into context of what had happened up to that point to really get why people are THIS reverential for this stuff."

We all have different tastes.

I just started listening to him about 5 years ago and my first thought was “oh, this is what I wish Dream Theater sounded like” :grin

His music immediately clicked with me

There was one at TTP for $1950(?) the other day? Not quite at the point where I want to spend that much. Yet :sofa

There was one at TTP for $1950(?) the other day? Not quite at the point where I want to spend that much.

They'll come down soon.
A brand spanking new Astro with free shipping and warranty is $2000. Used Astro's are also going to start showing up.

Gonna get harder and harder to sell a used 30 I think.

They'll come down soon.
A brand spanking new Astro with free shipping and warranty is $2000. Used Astro's are also going to start showing up.

Gonna get harder and harder to sell a used 30 I think.
I want that extra 10watts and all the extra digital bells and whistles on it reminds me of the part of my Badlander tenure that I greatly disliked. I want to keep those pieces separate from here on out.

We all have different tastes.

I just started listening to him about 5 years ago and my first thought was “oh, this is what I wish Dream Theater sounded like” :grin

His music immediately clicked with me
There’s also just so much contextual baggage we bring to this stuff. Had I snagged Elegant Gypsy as a 17 year old, it would have instantly clicked. Also, had I heard Elegant Gypsy first and THEN heard Kiss My Axe, Inprobably could have appreciated it a lot more on first listen. But as a 17 year old kid that had not listened to much beyond rock, hip-hop and R&B, Kiss My Axe just sounded waaaaaaay too much like the smooth jazz station my art teacher listened to all day. And 1st impressions are hard to forget. I played the bell out of trio album all through college :beer :guiness

Back