Got my FM9 invite

Will Onyx

I got my FM9 purchase invite 10 days ago and was super excited when it showed up. Then I started really evaluating my FM3 to see where it was falling short for me and needed to be upgraded. At first, the extra processing power and foot switches seemed too good to pass up. But I decided to wait a few days (although I looked at the invite email a few times a day). Then a week passed and I had almost forgotten about it. When I thought about how I was going to actually use the FM9, I realized that it was just more for the sake of being more. The FM3 just does everything I need it to and is a great size, so I’m passing on the FM9. True story. I’m just sayin!;)

Same. I bought one of the first run FM9s and assumed it would slay the FM3. Nope. I ended up
with 2 FM3s and no FM9s. :idk

FM3 is just perfect for me. Fits on my studio desk, easy to take to rehearsals, or overnight
trips away from home. I think it is the best bang for buck modeler that has ever existed.

I can't prove it, though. :LOL:

I just got an invite too. I'm really on the fence, though. If I'd gotten the invite before the holiday season, I probably would've used it, but I'll be traveling over the next several weeks and it'd sit on my doorstep (and likely stolen!) even if I did purchase it. And I'm so happy with my Helix Floor that the only reason I put myself on the FM9 waitlist was out of sheer curiosity.

What should I do, TGF sages? :idk

I just got an invite too. I'm really on the fence, though. If I'd gotten the invite before the holiday season, I probably would've used it, but I'll be traveling over the next several weeks and it'd sit on my doorstep (and likely stolen!) even if I did purchase it. And I'm so happy with my Helix Floor that the only reason I put myself on the FM9 waitlist was out of sheer curiosity.

What should I do, TGF sages? :idk
They have a 15 day return policy if you are that curious

@SwirlyMaple You can probably defer your purchasing decision until you get back from your travels.

I let my FM9 invite expire a few weeks ago because I was still evaluating my FM3 and deciding if I wanted to go "all in". FAS said publicly at that time that once an invite expired, they would honour a request for a fresh invitation with no need to wait all over again, once FM9 units were back in stock.

A few days after the invite expired (I just followed the invite link and the page displayed "invite expired"), I wrote a polite message to the FAS Sales email address and asked to be re-invited - which they did. I then purchased right away.

Hopefully FAS is still operating along those lines.

Last edited:
I didn’t even see this thread until now, but I’m the wrong person to ask because MORE IS MORE!

Really, my perspective is skewed differently than most my age; no wife/kids allows for a lot of purchases I wasn’t able to make when I was married and I take full advantage of that. I don’t flip gear and am pretty much adverse to ‘if I’m not using it I sell it’ because I never want to not-have something when I want it, especially if I’ve already owned it. Learned my lesson with that.

So if one thinks they’ll get some good use out of it in the future, do it up.

I never understood the “I’m just playing at home, I don’t need all that’s in a Fractal unit”, I don’t believe one has to be selling out MSG, or even playing live, to want access to a ton of different amps/effects, I know I don’t just stick with one tone just because I’m not playing live. “Well, I would use a different delay, but I’m only playing at home…” doesn’t compute to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There’s stuff I do now with these units I didn’t think I’d be doing before I owned one and I certainly feel one can grow into these feature-packed units. There were tones I never cared about getting until I got guitars that really work for those tones, setups I didn’t even consider previously that I love now, like a clean and dirty amp blended together, or how I’ve been using dual-amp setups to record with, putting one amp on each side, then the crazier presets that I‘ve put together just seeing what the units can do that worked their way into songs.

think-about-the-future-jack-nicholson.gif

Back