Corrupted presets on FM9

dk_ace

Roadie
Took the FM9 for a gig this weekend a week after getting it. Worked out ok except for when I was getting my song presets ready.

I made a separate preset for the first song (copy of the kitchen sink preset I’ve been working with all week), tweaked the scenes for the song parts and made a layout that I would use live. When I finished it I saved it and saved it again to the next slot for the next song, then I switched to that one and renamed and tweaked it for that song. Rinse and repeat. Was working pretty good and quick once I got my method figured out and realized where I needed scene controllers to make things faster.

This preset runs at about 79% dsp, occasionally up to 81.

Then, disaster struck…. A few tunes in, the preset got corrupted, and whatever got busted propagated to the next one and the next one. I found the mistake when I was running over the tunes again. When going from scene 1 to scene 2 there was a huge delay, like 15 seconds, sometimes the audio cut out too. If the thing was still responsive I had to go to another preset to get it back, other times I had to reboot the unit. Didn’t matter which preset or what was changing in the scene, going from scene 1 to 2 on any of those corrup presets caused the bug.

I wiped out the ones that were messed up and built them again, never had a problem after that.

So the point… how often does this happen? It’s my first week with it and that did not leave me with a lot of confidence. It worked fine for the gig. I don’t want to waste a lot of time rebuilding presets because they get corrupted. If this is a really rare occurence, it’s fine. I have had rare sporadic issues like this with Helix too. If it happens with any regularity, that’s a different story.

D

might be that changing between multiple +80 presets has the processor/memory keeping too much 'on its plate' so then what would be fine if you are just using one +80 becomes excessive?
i fix air conditioning systems for a living so take that as a wild ass guess...

might be that changing between multiple +80 presets has the processor/memory keeping too much 'on its plate' so then what would be fine if you are just using one +80 becomes excessive?
i fix air conditioning systems for a living so take that as a wild ass guess...

Might need a hard start capacitor for preset switching!

Without the corrupt preset it's anybody's guess. I don't gig, so there's that, but if I did, I think I would try to keep my gigging presets to well under 80%.....just my UN- educated opinion.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Without the corrupt preset it's anybody's guess. I don't gig, so there's that, but if I did, I think I would try to keep my gigging presets to well under 80%.....just my un-educated opinion. View attachment 19492

Well, if I have to cut much out of it, I might as well keep the helix and return the fm9. The point of the fm9 rig is to have more sounds available easily.

This really didn’t seem like a dsp thing because the audio played on normally. Seems to be more related to the foot switching. Did the same thing yesterday on a separate instance when I was switching from channel a to b on the multidelay without switching scenes. In that case, channel an and b are the same model type just with different settings so no change to the dsp.

D

Well, if I have to cut much out of it, I might as well keep the helix and return the fm9. The point of the fm9 rig is to have more sounds available easily.

This really didn’t seem like a dsp thing because the audio played on normally. Seems to be more related to the foot switching. Did the same thing yesterday on a separate instance when I was switching from channel a to b on the multidelay without switching scenes. In that case, channel an and b are the same model type just with different settings so no change to the dsp.

D
Do what works best for you!

Funny enough, this past week is the first time I've run into this phenomenon on my own FM9. I downloaded the latest firmware presets from @2112, and there were a lot of freezes and pauses as I tried to navigate scenes. I also got several errors incorporating his latest block library.

Definitely had one of my more frustrating weekends trying to incorporate his usually rock-solid patch sorcery into my normal workflow. I don't say it to put the guy on blast. Could absolutely be user error on my part in some form or fashion.

Funny enough, this past week is the first time I've run into this phenomenon on my own FM9. I downloaded the latest firmware presets from @2112, and there were a lot of freezes and pauses as I tried to navigate scenes. I also got several errors incorporating his latest block library.

Definitely had one of my more frustrating weekends trying to incorporate his usually rock-solid patch sorcery into my normal workflow. I don't say it to put the guy on blast. Could absolutely be user error on my part in some form or fashion.

Maybe this new firmware has some bugs that haven’t been squashed?

D

Well yeah, bugs are bigger and more prevalent in Australia.

This really didn’t seem like a dsp thing because the audio played on normally. Seems to be more related to the foot switching.
No, very much seems like a DSP capacity thing:

Back