Plugins vs. Modeler for the Home Noodler

I don't gig anymore. So, I would consider myself a home noodler. We also moved to a house where I do not have a room to myself anymore as my "play room" or studio. My entire rig needed to fit into a closet in the laundry room. I love my Headrush Gigboard, but I simply do not have the space anymore. So, I had to part ways with it and just kept my laptop, some screens, monitors, and my UA Volt 2 interface. I tried out the Neural Archetype Abasi, and I am happy with it. I also kept one of my "FRFR" cabs for just in case I will have a gig outside. I am still able to do my projects on my DAW.

I'd vote for saving the money for something else.

You're knee deep in diminishing returns between Native and a hardware derivative.

Add to that, if you're like me and do a lot of home recordings, the asio drivers on modelers don't handle a lot of midi tracks as effortlessly as my last focusrite interface did...
Agreed, although, I received Native for free, which puts my total investment at this point:

AKG K240 cans
$99 studio monitors
Cables

For it being a cheap setup it sounds decent.

I guess I don’t know what hardware sounds like comparatively. Maybe it sounds better, maybe it doesn’t?

Not sure it’s worth $1800 for an FM9 to find out tho.

I don't gig anymore. So, I would consider myself a home noodler. We also moved to a house where I do not have a room to myself anymore as my "play room" or studio. My entire rig needed to fit into a closet in the laundry room. I love my Headrush Gigboard, but I simply do not have the space anymore. So, I had to part ways with it and just kept my laptop, some screens, monitors, and my UA Volt 2 interface. I tried out the Neural Archetype Abasi, and I am happy with it. I also kept one of my "FRFR" cabs for just in case I will have a gig outside.
Kind of my exact situation. Only thing I honestly miss is looping. I guess I could always just grab a cheap looper.

I’ve had trouble infinitely looping in GarageBand unless someone knows the secret, haha.

Agreed, although, I received Native for free, which puts my total investment at this point:

AKG K240 cans
$99 studio monitors
Cables

I guess I don’t know what hardware sounds like comparatively. Maybe it sounds better, maybe it doesn’t?

I'd say the biggest improvements you could make are in your output systems more than anything.

You MIGHT notice a tiny difference, but honestly, if you're worried about any quality of sound then I'm not sure an FM-9 is the best place to invest money.

Nicer studio monitors, room treatment, different guitars, maybe an acoustic+microphone, possibly a nice headphone amp (only if you are mostly on headphones and really care about driving them properly) would probably offer you more for your money based on what you currently have.

What you perceive as better really depends on what you want though. What do you feel like is holding you back?

I LOVE Fractal stuff but I'm not sure it would be much of a perceivable upgrade as much as something different. If you an afford to try it, its the best way to know for sure as there is nothing like having it in your own hands. But if it was me, put like $1000 (or more) towards some nice monitors and the rest into treating the room :)

Some have already touched on this, but I think the quality of D/A conversion is not to be underestimated. I downloaded the Tonex iOS app and tried it with guitar connected via Apogee Jam (which is known to be a high-quality guitar interface). Monitoring through the iPad headphone out using good-quality cans, I didn't like what I was hearing all that much (my jam is an old model without direct monitoring). When I tried the Tonex plugin on my mac (same input interface, same cans), I got significantly better results. All else being the same, I am attributing this to the lower quality D/A conversion of the iPad vs Mac. If you have an input interface that allows to monitor directly, you may be good. I like the hardware because it does that for me -- one thing less to worry about.

This. These days it's all pretty great, not worth getting bogged down in "converters on this work better by 0.001% in upper lower mid high spectrum".
Here's a comparison between three price points:

Have you heard an FM9 or Axe-Fx III in real life, though? It really is nothing like the Focusrite 2i2 (which I also own) 🙂

EDIT: I should have said that I own the 2nd Gen Focusrite. No doubt the 3rd Gen would be an improvement.

Last edited:
I am using Helix Native.

Guitar > Focusrite Solo > GarageBand > Helix Native

Would a hardware modeler be better or am I basically getting what I would be getting out of a modeler minus the ability to gig (which I don't)?

I got my FM9 invite the other day, and I am conflicted.
You try out the FM9. 15-day money back guarantee less shipping. That way you actually know for yourself.

If it’s worth it you keep it. If not you send it back.

AKG K240 cans
$99 studio monitors
Cables

I can't speak to the fm9, but helix native and floor are sonically indistinguishable. The only difference comes from using the floors di

My personal bias and belief is that a dedicated hardware modeller with high quality inputs, converters and audio path that's specifically designed and built for guitar is better than a generic audio interface + plugins.

(unless it's a very expensive interface!)
FWIW, I'd be pretty shocked if any halfway decent, good working order, consumer interface had any kind of problem passing a double blind test due to converters etc. Modern A/D/As are ridiculously good.

The main value for the dedicated hardware is the input. Not all interfaces have great instrument inputs.

That said, though, if you get a good quality interface and are capable of configuring a DAW for low latency; the dedicated hardware basically brings nothing to the table if your only application is for dedicated use in one room.

There are compelling arguments for hardware but if your application is just for a home jam room where you already have a good computer available that you don't mind using as your UI, you'd be best off saving the money and sinking it into monitors, as you note.

Given proper set up.

I saw the thread right around the same time I demo’d Helix Native, after seeing it was a lot of this-
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

….I closed the app and allowed the demo time to run out.

I saw the thread right around the same time I demo’d Helix Native, after seeing it was a lot of this-
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

….I closed the app and allowed the demo time to run out.
I mean, I got it for free, but yea, I understand what you mean.

It's just annoying to be in a DAW all the time.

The main value for the dedicated hardware is the input. Not all interfaces have great instrument inputs.

I concur.
I would buy a dedicated small guitar interface that has super low noise instrument inputs like the patented ones from Fractal or Line 6 and SPDIF/Optical outputs, that will add a much better instrument input to existing interface.

I concur.
I would buy a dedicated small guitar interface that has super low noise instrument inputs like the patented ones from Fractal or Line 6 and SPDIF/Optical outputs, that will add a much better instrument input to existing interface.

I've read some of your threads on the topic, but what would be your current purchase recommendation?

I've read some of your threads on the topic, but what would be your current purchase recommendation?
All Fractal products have the patented low-noise Instrument Inputs and a SPDIF Output, the cheapest is the FM3.
From Line 6 you have Helix LT, Floor and Rack, with patented low-noise Input and SPDIF Out, the cheapest is the LT.

The thing is, I don't want to replace my audio interface with the Helix or a Fractal, so I sometimes use the Helix Floor just for the SPDIF Output for other plugins in my DAW. :LOL:
NAM and Amplitube really benefit form the super low noise guitar inputs of the Helix.

Back