Corrupted presets on FM9

Cycling back to your original question: I've been using Fractal for 10+ years, almost entirely my own presets.

I've never had a corrupt preset. But they do occasionally occur.

Often it seems to be related to having too many controllers in a preset.

No, very much seems like a DSP capacity thing:

Definitely sounds like what I am experiencing.

Oh FFS…. Why can’t life just be easy…

My best opportunity here is probably to see if I can consolidate what I’m doing with a chorus and flange block into a single block, either try to do the choruses with a flange block or both of them with a delay block. I’ll try to revisit that this week. Have a couple of weeks until the next gig.

D

Oh FFS…. Why can’t life just be easy…
I'd argue modern tools make it quite easy. Try doing your kitchen sink preset all analog 😂 I don't think it will be difficult at all to describe a few percent.

Out of curiosity, does this kitchen sink preset work on the Helix?

Also, I know people romanticize kitchen sink presets but why not just split it up? Do you really need it all in one when you are a button press away from everything?

Funny enough, this past week is the first time I've run into this phenomenon on my own FM9. I downloaded the latest firmware presets from @2112, and there were a lot of freezes and pauses as I tried to navigate scenes. I also got several errors incorporating his latest block library.

Definitely had one of my more frustrating weekends trying to incorporate his usually rock-solid patch sorcery into my normal workflow. I don't say it to put the guy on blast. Could absolutely be user error on my part in some form or fashion.
Are you using gapless switching ?
It may be nothing but when it was first released there was a big note that you had to re-save all your prior presets
One culprit was pre downloaded presets from other users , those have to be re-saved , not saying that is causing some of your weirdness but it could

I'd argue modern tools make it quite easy. Try doing your kitchen sink preset all analog 😂 I don't think it will be difficult at all to describe a few percent.

Out of curiosity, does this kitchen sink preset work on the Helix?

Also, I know people romanticize kitchen sink presets but why not just split it up? Do you really need it all in one when you are a button press away from everything?

The helix plus an outboard reverb pedal pretty much cover this preset, yes. The things that I’m doing in it that are DSP “expensive” where I could cut back are on separate processors, so cutting them back doesn’t change the dsp usage.

This preset really isn’t that complicated IMHO.

D

Are you using gapless switching ?
It may be nothing but when it was first released there was a big note that you had to re-save all your prior presets
One culprit was pre downloaded presets from other users , those have to be re-saved , not saying that is causing some of your weirdness but it could

I’m using gapless switching, but the unit shipped with the FW and had that setting enabled from the beginning and my presets were made from scratch. I’ve resaved this preset repeatedly too, so that’s probably not what’s going on. I think it’s the dsp now based on what yeky83 linked to earlier.

D

Do you mind sharing or taking a screenshot?

So no the helix would also not be able to run this preset lol

I use the outboard reverb because I don’t like the helix reverbs, I haven’t tried to recreate it in helix. It probably couldn’t because both the external reverb and the fractal reverb can change types within the preset whereas helix needs multiple block instances. Even if I knock this preset down to one reverb which the helix could do, that won’t change the dsp.

The biggest difference between the helix patch and the fm9 patch isn’t the stuff in it, it is what all is footswitchable due to the FM9s multiple layouts and hold functions.

D

I use the outboard reverb because I don’t like the helix reverbs, I haven’t tried to recreate it in helix. It probably couldn’t because both the external reverb and the fractal reverb can change types within the preset whereas helix needs multiple block instances. Even if I knock this preset down to one reverb which the helix could do, that won’t change the dsp.

The biggest difference between the helix patch and the fm9 patch isn’t the stuff in it, it is what all is footswitchable due to the FM9s multiple layouts and hold functions.

D
I'm still generally curious what this preset looks like and may help us understand

this is wisdom

most of the best kitchen sinks are 'two compartment'

True. I think of it more as three compartments. The first two compartments are dedicated to variations on clean and high-gain. So for clean, I'd want 1)Basic clean with a good spring/hall reverb for strumming/arpeggios for chords/pop/etc. 2)A drier clean with compressor for funk comping. 3) A super-spacey ambient clean with pad-like reverb sounds with trails 4) A low-gain Voxy+Plexi-type blend great for pop songs and wiry single-note lines 5)Dotted delay for cool rhythmic parts.

The dirty one is 1) Marshall crunch for classic to modern hard rock into a Greenback cab, 2) Mesa Mark/REVV/PRS Archon-type tight modern high gain into a V30 cab 3+4) Solo variations of each with a mid and volume bump+digital delay 5-8) Effected variants of 1+2 with maybe a rotary/flanger or lofi telephone sound or dotted delay.

The third and final compartment is a best-of of the first two for a given gig. A "kitchen sink" for me would be 12 or so snapshots, which is just too much tapdancing.

@dk_ace Even shunts use a tiny bit of DSP.

So if you're already skirting the danger zone in CPU usage, and you have a bunch of shunts doing nothing in places, then try deleting them to see if it drops you down a %.

I just like to tidy up like that sort of thing anyway, even when I have loads of CPU to spare. It's a mild OCD!

@dk_ace Even shunts use a tiny bit of DSP.

So if you're already skirting the danger zone in CPU usage, and you have a bunch of shunts doing nothing in places, then try deleting them to see if it drops you down a %.

I just like to tidy up like that sort of thing anyway, even when I have loads of CPU to spare. It's a mild OCD!

I don’t think I have any extra shunts, but I’ll have to double check when I get it fired up this evening to grab a screenshot of the preset.

D

Unbypassed as much as I could here to make it easy to read. There was one extra shunt that I deleted.

D

Attachments

• IMG_4283.jpeg
    IMG_4283.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
You can assign a global volume control in the setup menu, which would let you delete that second volume block. It might save you a little bit of juice.

Unbypassed as much as I could here to make it easy to read.

If you don't normally use both reverbs at the same time, then you could perhaps have just one reverb block and switch channels between reverb types? Would be easier to read too.

Last edited:
You can assign a global volume control in the setup menu, which would let you delete that second volume block. It might save you a little bit of juice.
If you don't normally use both reverbs at the same time, then you could perhaps have just one reverb block and switch channels between reverb types? Would be easier to read too.

That volume block is worth like 1% and the 2nd reverb block is on a separate processor so it doesn’t really save anything either.

The real solution here was to use delay 2 which I didn’t have in the patch at all and which runs on a separate processor to replace the flanger block. That saves more than enough to bring me well below the danger zone.

Hopefully that clears up my problem, I bet it will.

D

the 2nd reverb block is on a separate processor so it doesn’t really save anything either.

It does run on a seperate core, but my intent was to remove another couple of shunts and simplify the path.

Glad you found a way to sort it anyway!

And I hope that your preset will be stable from now on.

Last edited:
Back