Plugins vs. Modeler for the Home Noodler

What kills plugins for me as someone who's still mostly learning guitar (and thus 100% home noodler), is that I cannot be trusted around internet-connected devices.

On paper something like the Bogren AmpKnobs would be perfect for me, start the app, have great tone, play. But in practice, if the guitar is near the computer I am doing fuck all in terms of actually getting better on guitar.

So if you are easily distracted like me, get some hardware...

I tried the DAW-only thing during Lockdown 2020 with a 2nd gen Focusrite Scarlett. Tone was there with no fuss, latency got down to bearable until I tried to play too fast, and of course I wanted to integrate some switching that made things complex, a chore to set up, and made a hardware unit more worth it.

Even now that I'm just a home player it's either amps or hardware modelers. Plugins for recording are gold.

I think integrated AD/DA converters in mid-priced audio interfaces (and hw amp modelers) have improved a lot in last years,
but I have been using Millennia TD1 (so something quite specific for guitar/bass) + Lynx interfaces (AES16e + Aurora) for more than a decade and I would never trade this for any of the hardware amp modeler DI/conventers on the market...

I don't know if I'm wrong or not: I simply reached inner peace many years ago on this topic. So I implicitly prefer plugins...

Back