Fractal Talk

Touchscreen responsiveness was one of my worries when I got the QC at launch, but for me the "my tap does nothing" situations were quite rare so I was ok with the performance during the month's time I owned it. This might depend on a lot of factors like the specific unit, how thick your callouses are, how large fingers you have, temperature etc.

I currently have a 2017 12.9" iPad Pro that can become unresponsive to touch sometimes and to fix that you have to literally bend the tablet just a tiny bit and that somehow restores whatever is not making proper contact there. Apparently this is a common issue on this specific model too, so it's not like the big names get it right either!
Makes me think of an old person using a smart phone where they aren't using the fingertip but are instead using the middle of their finger with the tip arched up like they are working a calculator using a foreign numeric system :rofl

Disclaimer for: I'm old af

Last edited:
Whereas the Tonemaster Pro is like the Jitterbug phone for seniors.

“Here you go, old timer. It’s easy! Just find the nice big picture of the amp you’d like to use.”
jitterbug-dealwithit.gif

But only "kinda". Complexity and usability don't need to be inversely proportional. You can take absolutely any system, irrespective of its complexity, and improve the UI/UX that lies on top of it. Or, fail to do so.

Visibility and accessibility, in particular, are important considerations to UI engineers. (Yes, believe it or not, that's a real job description, and not a contradiction in terms.) Lots and lots of technology - and by extension the careers of lots and lots of devs - revolve around eye candy.

I don't understand how this even manages to be a point of debate. The presentation layer isn't at war with underlying systems. Top to bottom: better is better.

I mean...kinda?

I get what you are saying, but I kinda equate it to what's happened with program languages over the last 20ish years. Each gen introduces fancier UI's and more natural language integration, but for the next generation of programmers coming up there's always complaints of things being too complex and unintuitive. The folks who've been doing this for a decade are like...

ron swanson frown GIF

In no way am I saying the Fractal UI is best in class, at the same time if one wants to do things like adjust an amp input EQ, set a transparent input boost, adjust the bright cap value, remove ghost notes via power supply power type to DC, tailor the speaker drive, and adjust out put compression...well, it's all there and yet at the same time can be completely ignored by staying on the "tone" page which largely matches each real world amp's controls. I'm always going to prefer to have more control and not use it than limited control for the sake of a simpler GUI. I'm happy there is choice in the market today to kinda address whatever experience a player wants.

Whereas the Tonemaster Pro is like the Jitterbug phone for seniors.

“Here you go, old timer. It’s easy! Just find the nice big picture of the amp you’d like to use.”
We'll all be there someday.

"Grandpa, how come you don't understand how to use this brain interface? You just have to think of a box, then a slightly oblong circle, then a stick!"

I get what you are saying, but I kinda equate it to what's happened with program languages over the last 20ish years. Each gen introduces fancier UI's and more natural language integration, but for the next generation of programmers coming up there's always complaints of things being too complex and unintuitive. The folks who've been doing this for a decade are like...
Tis gonna get worse when ChatGPT coders start getting jobs.

I do think they "updated" the touch sensitivity a little bit after launch. Not sure when you had yours or if that update had been pushed out.

I usually have to retry because I miss a block or press where I don't want to. Maybe I'm just uncoordinated?

I think they improved the touch radius on objects. I always thought the swipe functions needed more refinement than touch sensitivity.

Tell you what.... spend the next week using it, and make a note of whenever you try to activate something on the screen where you had to either attempt a 2nd time, or press firmer than you naturally would, or otherwise end up having to retry it for some reason. Let me know how many times it happens, I'm curious!

I'll do you one better: I'm going to use the QC touchscreen with my dick all week long and let you know how it responds, that's how much I love it.

Back