Fractal Talk

I guess you wouldn’t have to worry about fat fingering it this way…

But maybe callouses?

Disgusted Paris Hilton GIF

I mean...kinda?

I get what you are saying, but I kinda equate it to what's happened with program languages over the last 20ish years. Each gen introduces fancier UI's and more natural language integration, but for the next generation of programmers coming up there's always complaints of things being too complex and unintuitive. The folks who've been doing this for a decade are like...

ron swanson frown GIF

In no way am I saying the Fractal UI is best in class, at the same time if one wants to do things like adjust an amp input EQ, set a transparent input boost, adjust the bright cap value, remove ghost notes via power supply power type to DC, tailor the speaker drive, and adjust out put compression...well, it's all there and yet at the same time can be completely ignored by staying on the "tone" page which largely matches each real world amp's controls. I'm always going to prefer to have more control and not use it than limited control for the sake of a simpler GUI. I'm happy there is choice in the market today to kinda address whatever experience a player wants.
You’re kind of putting words in my mouth, though. I am not for one second proposing that features/ settings be removed from the FAS products. I’m suggesting that better UI mechanics and principles be employed so that those features/ settings can be more easily and effectively accessed.

It comes back to the same mantra: good UI is NOT at odds with complexity. In fact, complexity is often exactly the necessity that drives UI optimization.

Yeah defo. Love the idea.
There’s an important takeaway here: UI development is all “devil in the details”. The pros and cons of a UI overhaul can’t really be examined at 12,000 feet. It’s all about the benefits and knock-on effects of small, individual changes. Orvillain is very entrenched in the “fuck cushy UI” camp, but when presented with a single common sense improvement, he’s all for it (as anyone would be.) All I’m proposing is a collection of similar common sense changes.

(This isn’t solely directed at FAS, either. Do we all remember the QC wack-a-mole meme wars?)

Last edited:
Wait, I thought we were all hating on eye candy? ;)
I wouldn't call being able to tell if a foot switch is orange or yellow, blue or purple, or whatever eye candy. The difference between how colours look on the QC screen vs on Cortex Control on a decent display is enormous. The interface looks pretty damn good on Control. The QC interface isn't really eye candy at all, not like the TMP.

Back