Fractal Talk

Ok ok. Fair. SIDELINE THE BIG DADDY FX III AND WORK ON THE FM9 FIRST! :rofl :beer In all seriousness... oh man do I want those spring reverbs. I'm itching to build some surf tones with the FM9 but it needs drippy wet springs first!
Coming Soon GIF by Kev Lavery

More newb observations:
  • The tuner in the FM9 is great. Fast, stable, and the strobe-type display right under the needle-style tuner on the same screen is ideal for me.
  • I tried running a couple vocal mics (SM7B and TLM103) through a DI box and into input 2 via the L and R jacks. From there it's easy enough to split input 2 so that I have each mic on its own signal path. I repurposed a cab block for its mic pre-amp sims (using the neutral IR), which sounded quite good with both mics, and added a reverb and compressor after that. I can get more stuff crammed into the Helix with this sort of setup since it doesn't have any limitations on the number of block types you get to use in a single preset, but it was still very serviceable on the FM9.
    • The ducking built right into the reverb block also works great for vocals. This is how vocal reverb is always done in the studio, so having it onboard is a nice convenience.
  • The looper works well. It's simple as can be and you don't have to remember any shortcut presses or combos with the default layout. 120 seconds of loop time is plenty for what I need. It would be even better if it had a second track, but this isn't a dedicated looper pedal of course.

Last edited:
Yeah, that sounds really good. I rarely use long reverb decay because I don't like the way the tails can get overbearing (unless you turn the mix way down), but the gentle wash from that gold plate sounds lovely carrying through while staying unobtrusive.
Try Parallels, Much more control, not to mention much better articulation of both Dry and Wet signals

1698488973622.png

You use the Level to control as opposed to the Mix

More newb observations:
  • The tuner in the FM9 is great. Fast, stable, and the strobe-type display right under the needle-style tuner on the same screen is ideal for me.
Yeah it's only a little bit less responsive than the analog strobe in my Turbo Tuner ST-300 pedal. And that's more likely just a case of how fast the screen updates.

@holoholo Gary is a contributor over on the Fractal forum. He has said that what you're hearing is a camera microphone picking up the sound in the room from his PA system.

Yes, the plexi models do clean up amazingly well. I usually use a single preset with the 6CA7 50W plexi model set to a mid gain tone. I roll down the guitar volume for beautiful sparkling clean tones and add a boost and delay for lead tones.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I wanted to roll my own 6CA7 Jose as @State of Epicicity mentioned on the previous page. I set it up in the 2nd Scene of an existing preset, I just picked the 6CA7, Friedman GB DynaCab then went about tweaking the reverb and started noodling for 10-15 minutes, this is in the order this went-

Noodling-

I'm thinking it's a little bassy so I went to go tweak the amp block and realized-
Screen Shot 2023-10-28 at 5.21.29 PM.png

I hadn't even touched it yet.

Then I think, "Did I touch the mic yet?"

Screen Shot 2023-10-28 at 5.22.31 PM.png

Good thing I'm a Chief Engineer or I'd never be able to dial one of these things in to get a good sound out of it. :rofl

Back