Fractal Talk

A lot of people use the word "game changer" Fractal already has great algorithms but IMO if Cliff is able to get total gapless switching into the FM3, that will change the game , because it will remove the CPU constraints, as you will just be able to switch presets , that alone would be huge
just for Example FAS posted the new spring verbs are quite CPU intensive , but if you could use separate clean . crunch , higain and lead presets
that would totally allow you to not be affected by the CPU.

if he pulls that off on the FM3. that might be the biggest update , and most important and useful one since it was released
Can someone explain to a Frac-curious newb, does the FM3 have preset spillover? And is there any weird limitations to it? Gapless + preset spillover would be pretty game changing.

Well technically yes it does if you change presets but currently that will incur a noticeable gap or audio drop out
Scenes is quicker transition but no spill ,
So if FAS can get the gapless feature so that you can switch presets then spillover should work

Isn't it just as good using Scenes since you can also change Amps/Cabs/etc by using
different Channels within that Preset? :idk
It depends on what channels change some with give a slight gap , I don't have an Axe 3 , but basically the latest firmware is looking to get rid of all gaps. from scenes channels and presets
that's why its a big deal for FM3, because if it gets implemented you could now use all 4 channels with different amps, you will no longer need a second amp block , the one block will smoothly allow you to switch through 4 different amps

Scenes have spillover.
They don't.

On Fractal devices, Spillover is specifically for presets...

Within a preset, it's just the trails and that requires 2 instances of the block.

Even though the manual references "spillover" relative to scenes, note that it is always in quotes.

For example, if you change channels of your Delay block to one with different settings, the trails will not carry over from the "source" Delay.

You'd need to have 2 Delays and bypass one (with Mute FX In Bypass Mode) and engage the other.

That allows the trails from the now bypassed block to continue... But that's not really spillover.
Yes.

See page 99 of the manual.

They don't.

On Fractal devices, Spillover is specifically for presets...

Within a preset, it's just the trails and that requires 2 instances of the block.

Even though the manual references "spillover" relative to scenes, note that it is always in quotes.

For example, if you change channels of your Delay block to one with different settings, the trails will not carry over from the "source" Delay.

You'd need to have 2 Delays and bypass one (with Mute FX In Bypass Mode) and engage the other.

That allows the trails from the now bypassed block to continue... But that's not really spillover.

Yes.

See page 99 of the manual.
Oh my bad, I've not used spillover during preset-switching in so long I thought it didn't exist. Well, "spillover," cus I'd put preset spillover in quotes as well since it doesn't preserve the spill while going over.

@holoholo don't listen to me, the above post explains it better.

1698222745805.png

Looks a bit like uncle Jack from Breaking Bad.

Can someone explain to a Frac-curious newb, does the FM3 have preset spillover? And is there any weird limitations to it? Gapless + preset spillover would be pretty game changing.

The important take-away from @unix-guy 's post is that no, it doesn't in the strictest sense. But, whether it behaves as if it does depends on exactly what you're changing.

Neither more complete spillover nor gapless switching matter to me.

But, that's because I play in kind of an old-school way with fancy new tools. I only use one amp (one channel, one block) and control the amount of distortion mostly with the guitar's volume controls. If it had a second amp block, I'd at least consider running 2 amps in parallel, but it's not actually that big of a deal. I don't use reverb because I hate it, which also means I don't have to worry about reverb tails or spillover or channel-switching behavior, and I save ~20% of the DSP to use for other things. I do use a delay, but it's always on and never changes....so I don't have to worry about its tails because they're always there. The modulations, boosts, and other things that I use turn on/off in a soft-enough way that if there is a gap or any other weirdness, I can't hear them.

My kitchen sink preset (the only one I use) is one amp, one cab, pre- and post-amp boosts tied together, an always-on delay, volume and wah auto-engage with expression pedals, and 3 modulations that never overlap. The switching is incredibly easy. The only even remotely more complex thing I even really consider is that the sound with a Strat could potentially be a little better with a different amp, a different boost before the amp, and a different approach to the volume knob (compared to my other guitars). But, that change a) would still fit in the DSP allotment and b) doesn't need to be gapless in any way because it would only happen when I change guitars and have the thing muted anyway (and the mute happens before the delay, so I'd still get its tails).

So, for me, it's a non-issue. That may or may not be the same for you depending on what you want to do with it.

I don't have anything against people who go whole-hog on effects and changing sounds and complex switching and what not - David Gilmore would not be the same without "8 million pedals"....and there are a bajillion other examples like that. But, my favorite guitarists all have pretty simple rigs (or, at least, I like them better when they play pretty simple rigs).

If there's a shortcoming, for my use, of the FM3...it's that you only have 2 IR slots instead of 4. And I do like both room mic IRs and mixing IRs from not-quite-the-same speakers/cabs. But, I'm pretty sure I can solve that problem by combining IRs in Cab-Lab....I just need to get around to doing it.

Well, "spillover," cus I'd put preset spillover in quotes as well since it doesn't preserve the spill while going over.
If your effects are set "correctly" they should... But, of course, the gap during preset changes might make it seem like they don't.

But, I have never needed or used it because I don't change presets mid-song.

If we get gap-less on the FM9 then that'll be a different story ;)

Back