Fractal Talk

Ok, finally found a way to make this work and built it again for the second time.

View attachment 10349

The second Volume block level is set to 0.00 so it mutes the dry path when engaged.
Control switch set up to bypass Return and the second Volume block which effectively toggles between the dry path and the wet path.

Works perfectly, no weird tone change.

This whole process made me want to shop for tube amps

In fairness, that is not a new thing born just from today's frustration. Nor incited by just Fractal. :idk

We have records of this stuff here ya know. :LOL:

Hope you get it sorted, Met, and your imminent shopping goes as well as can be expected. :beer

Not against it, just not that phased by it.

Perfect. I'll post a preset tonight that does this the most effective way I can think of.

Scenes + keeping scene revert off basically let you build custom scenes on the fly. Add in scene ignore and it really expands what scenes can do. I think you can do exactly what you want to do with scenes.

You have a dry scene that's no effects. And a wet scene that has been saved as a copy of your dry scene -- so by default it's just your dry scene when you switch to it. When you want to use effects you switch to your wet scene, turn your effects off and on as you need, and with scene revert off you can flip between your dry and wet scene and wet will retain your effect choices.

You can have 7 wet scenes to do this with.

I thought about that, but here's the problem with it - it doesn't allow me to visually see which effects will be "on" when I engage the loop, and it doesn't allow me to pre-select which effects are active before I turn on the loop.

Doing it this way allows me to have a quick visual of which effects are on/off and to be able to set whatever combination of them I want before switching them into the path

I thought about that, but here's the problem with it - it doesn't allow me to visually see which effects will be "on" when I engage the loop, and it doesn't allow me to pre-select which effects are active before I turn on the loop.

Doing it this way allows me to have a quick visual of which effects are on/off and to be able to set whatever combination of them I want before switching them into the path
Fair.

I'll post a preset tonight for you. It's just easier than trying to explain it at this point.

Not against it, just not that phased by it.

Mostly it's just the annoyance that it required something that complex to do something as dead simple as this:

Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 3.15.40 PM.png

Fair.

I'll post a preset tonight for you. It's just easier than trying to explain it at this point.

What I've got works just the way I want, but it'd be great to see other thoughts on how to accomplish this!

Lol you don’t know JT well enough then , he and Watts Mcoey used to have contests to see who can run the most miles of cables
I don’t recall who won
I do remember Watt packaging his FM3 in a Mesa weight approved combo , with a lid that opened
To get access to the 1 Bassman preset he used

JT mentioned in a PM this weekend he was doing some renovation work in his kitchen, I’m suspecting he failed to mention it had something to do with his live rig.

Edit: I just looked at what you arrived at here and it's exactly the same thing. :D I should have looked more closely at what you did there, sorry.

Here you go. If you want to mimic a switchable series effects loop, but still use SND/RTN blocks to extend the grid you can do as explained below. I say series effects loop because all the signal is running through the loop or not. There's no mixing of signals between the two lines wher they converge before the Output 1 block.

Here's how you do it:

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 7.37.06 PM.png

In this layout I'm using the Filter block, post Send block, simply to mute the "dry" line.

The Filter block's bypass state is controlled by a control switch:

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 7.38.17 PM.png

The Return block's bypass state is ALSO controlled by the EXACT SAME control switch, but the action is REVERSED, like so:
Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 7.39.00 PM.png

I have the control switch set up on a per-preset override on the preset. And then that per-preset override is assigned to layout 3 on my FC-12:

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 7.39.48 PM.png

When the switch is in the active/on state the signal is routed through the parallel line via the Return block. When it's off the signal is routed through the Filter block and straight on to the Output 1 block.

Because the parallel lines NEVER mix, you can use effects on the parallel line with dry signal included. In fact, you have to if you want to continue to hear any dry signal at all when you "engage the loop". The effects in the example preset should make it clear.

If you want an example of a parallel swithchable effects loop let me know.

Preset was produced with FW 22.01 on my AFIII and can be downloaded here: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=10496

Edit: an interesting "twist" on this would be using an expression pedal assigned to the levels of the Return and Filter blocks, but set inverse. You could then use the expression pedal to "cross fade" between your dry signal and the effects loop line. You'd have to play with the curves to keep volume consistent across the entirety of the fade but it's not impossible.

Last edited:
Because even if I did that I still need a way to toggle between the wet signal path and the dry signal path
Yeah… which you already had working. All you needed to do with your initial signal chain was set all effects to 100% wet. Whatever, you’ve got it how you like now.

Yeah… which you already had working. All you needed to do with your initial signal chain was set all effects to 100% wet. Whatever, you’ve got it how you like now.
So with the setup I did above, the loop line is series to the dry signal and you don't run the effects in the line at 100% wet. Which, honestly, works better if you're going to use it the way @metropolis_4 wants to use it with chorus and such in the line.

Man I check into TGF quite a bit but I can’t keep up with some of the old history, memes, and inside jokes that date back to tgp days. I need a TGFisms for dummies thread.

Back