Fractal Talk

So...

I finally had this all worked out and I toggled a Control Switch on my FC and it reverted every single unsaved change in my preset. :oops:

So now I get to start over :mad:

Mute the send block?

If I bypass the return block I have a problem where it changes the tone.

The only way to do it is to both bypass the Return block and set up a Volume block at the start of the dry path and use it to mute the dry path when the wet path is active.

Ok, finally found a way to make this work and built it again for the second time.

Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 2.15.40 PM.png

The second Volume block level is set to 0.00 so it mutes the dry path when engaged.
Control switch set up to bypass Return and the second Volume block which effectively toggles between the dry path and the wet path.

Works perfectly, no weird tone change.

This whole process made me want to shop for tube amps

I don’t understand why you didn’t just do 100% wet mix for the parallel signal chain, it just seems like you made things harder for yourself… but that’s actually a neat way to make it work the way you want, glad you got it figured out!

I guess I come at from a place where all my tools are complex. So a complex tool in my musical life doesn't phase me that much?

Why are you so against providing tools that make complex tasks simpler? You're the one who started the wish thread asking for this feature!

Post your preset?

It's likely because you're not running your effects in the parallel line 100% wet (mix set to 100%).

I also don't understand why you're using a parallel chain like this. It's not sonically advantageous and, as you're learning, it requires extra care to ensure you don't do things like add dry to dry when you engage the parallel line.

At the very least I'd move phaser, flanger and chorus to the main line and just run delay and reverb in parallel. I'd also not run reverb into delay like that -- that's going to be a very big amount of pad to fight with.

Like I said, what I'm trying to accomplish is what you'd get from a footswitchable effects loop on an amp. I want to be able to turn on/off any combination of effects in that chain and then toggle the entire chain in/out of the signal path.

That's what scenes are for. Or control switches mapped to the bypass state on many effects

You're making it hard than it needs to be.

I thought scenes were amazing for about a month and then I started realizing how restrictive and limiting they are so I've been moving away from them. The possible tone combinations I can create with the ability to individually control each of these effects would require hundreds of scenes.

I need more flexibility to adapt on the fly to what I'm hearing in the music during the performance.

I don’t understand why you didn’t just do 100% wet mix for the parallel signal chain, it just seems like you made things harder for yourself… but that’s actually a neat way to make it work the way you want, glad you got it figured out!

Because even if I did that I still need a way to toggle between the wet signal path and the dry signal path

I do remember Watt packaging his FM3 in a Mesa weight approved combo , with a lid that opened
To get access to the 1 Bassman preset he used
(1). He used two presets, neither of which were bassman.
(2). It was not that heavy -- under 40 pounds. And that included wireless.
(3). It WAS 10.5" deep which is more Mesa depth than Fender depth, and that does still annoy him to this day.

Or so I recall from those threads he wrote about it...

Why are you so against providing tools that make complex tasks simpler? You're the one who started the wish thread asking for this feature!
Not against it, just not that phased by it.

Like I said, what I'm trying to accomplish is what you'd get from a footswitchable effects loop on an amp. I want to be able to turn on/off any combination of effects in that chain and then toggle the entire chain in/out of the signal path.
Perfect. I'll post a preset tonight that does this the most effective way I can think of.

I thought scenes were amazing for about a month and then I started realizing how restrictive and limiting they are so I've been moving away from them. The possible tone combinations I can create with the ability to individually control each of these effects would require hundreds of scenes.
Scenes + keeping scene revert off basically let you build custom scenes on the fly. Add in scene ignore and it really expands what scenes can do. I think you can do exactly what you want to do with scenes.

You have a dry scene that's no effects. And a wet scene that has been saved as a copy of your dry scene -- so by default it's just your dry scene when you switch to it. When you want to use effects you switch to your wet scene, turn your effects off and on as you need, and with scene revert off you can flip between your dry and wet scene and wet will retain your effect choices.

You can have 7 wet scenes to do this with.

Back