Fractal Talk

If I were in a classic rock band it would most likely be my always-on/base tone pedal. It’s really transparent and on the verge of being subtle if it weren’t for the volume boost. I’ve never played with the bias side much but it’s definitely a cool feature, especially if you’re stacking gain pedals up and want an ‘over the top’ button you can really dial in. It was hard not to buy the gold one that was on sale this week, but I have way too many dirt pedals and no mod/delay pedals yet.
I have an Amp50 which is the bias thing (love it), so would be cool to have a pedal with that sound plus the other circuit that's in there.

At some point I’ll have to put the unit on the floor and use the foot switches with my feet 😉
Fred Astaire Fancy GIF by Maudit

I have an Amp50 which is the bias thing (love it), so would be cool to have a pedal with that sound plus the other circuit that's in there.

The Tchula is the COT50 at 11:00.... if I recall correctly. It does provide and immediate volume boost above unity
if running straight into the front of an amp. Just enough juice. And Drew is spot on. Always on and use your volume
control and you would get all the tones you need for a classic rock gig.

Second stage doesn't add much volume, but does bring in more saturation and compression.

Bosom Boost + Revv Red 2 + Dyna Recto Straight is perfect for me for high gain tones. The Revv is running at almost default settings, save for a slight mid scoop, and I think I lowered the gain a bit. I've got the Recto Straight cab set to Dynamic 1, Position 5.8, Distance 6cm. The Triple Crown plays really well with this too.

Since I'm not using the EQ on the Bosom Boost, I probably could just use a Filter to low-cut and boost, but I'm too attached to having a drive block in my presets. Plus, that plays friendlier with the default layouts of the FC12 and FM9.

I've never quite cracked the SLO, so if you've got tips, I am all ears.
Change your SLO tonestack to JCM800 and up the master
Negative feedback around 2.5 to 3

The Mixer block

Or put a Volume block at the start of the parallel line and use a switch to mute it.

Lots of ways to accomplish this. If you post a preset that shows how far you've gotten I can probably get you the rest of the way.

With the mixer being at the end wouldn’t it cut off the trails from any time based effects in the row?

Almost seems like I need the opposite of the mixer - one that is placed at the start of the split rather than the end

With the mixer being at the end wouldn’t it cut off the trails from any time based effects in the row?

Almost seems like I need the opposite of the mixer - one that is placed at the start of the split rather than the end
Yea, mixer won't work if you want trails. Put a volume block at the start and just bypass it?

Yea, mixer won't work if you want trails. Put a volume block at the start and just bypass it?

I guess that’s about the only way to do it.

It’s surprising that with all the amazing routing capabilities the Axe FX has it doesn’t have something as simple as an A/B splitter. :confused:

Looking into it more today it looks like we’ve got the mixer and the multiplexer that both provide many inputs to one output, but we don’t have any options for one input to many outputs.

Seems like a big oversight and something you wouldn’t think would be too difficult to add

What would be the best way to simulate a footswitchable effects loop?

I want a separate path filled with effects and a footswitch to turn that entire path on or off (keeping trails from time effects).

I wish Fractal had the same split behavior as Helix. It’s so much easier
Try the Multiplexer block. It is like Mixer but selects one input.

But for trails you are better off bypassing one of the early chain effects with the bypass mode set to Mute. Let's say you have Mod -> Delay, set Mod to mute and then bypass that block and you would still hear the delay trail off.

I agree it's not that intuitive that there isn't a "before blocks" version of these.

I guess that’s about the only way to do it.

It’s surprising that with all the amazing routing capabilities the Axe FX has it doesn’t have something as simple as an A/B splitter. :confused:

Looking into it more today it looks like we’ve got the mixer and the multiplexer that both provide many inputs to one output, but we don’t have any options for one input to many outputs.

Seems like a big oversight and something you wouldn’t think would be too difficult to add

I wouldn't say it's a "big oversight" but it'd be a nice quality of life thing.

Thanks for this, I’m another that’s never really got Mesas. Have them a quick try and they sounded pants, so moved on. I remember thinking when Leon did those videos originally that I should revisit them, but never got round to it.
I’ve been on a Metallica thing recently so had a play today and get it now. For me, the Mark iv model (US lead mid gain) is the winner, not for Metallica, just a nice useable heavy tone. The York IRs, as always, really bring the best out of it.

that makes me think of something; couldn’t I do a per-preset layout, where each button is Home, Record, Play, Stop for a DAW, if I’m also using the FM9 as the audio interface?
Fractal is frankly just bad at anything MIDI related.

To do what you want, you would have to set up Control Switches to transmit MIDI. You can assign up to 4 MIDI commands to one CS, then you assign that CS to one of your FM9 footswitches. But since there's only 6 Control Switches you pretty much dedicate this to DAW control.

There has been a wishlist item for "just send a set of MIDI commands via FC" but Fractal has not bothered to implement it. I kinda hope that they would pick some of these "quality of life" things now that a big feature like Dyna-Cabs is done, but I'm not holding my breath they will ever happen on this gen.

Fractal is frankly just bad at anything MIDI related.

To do what you want, you would have to set up Control Switches to transmit MIDI. You can assign up to 4 MIDI commands to one CS, then you assign that CS to one of your FM9 footswitches. But since there's only 6 Control Switches you pretty much dedicate this to DAW control.

There has been a wishlist item for "just send a set of MIDI commands via FC" but Fractal has not bothered to implement it. I kinda hope that they would pick some of these "quality of life" things now that a big feature like Dyna-Cabs is done, but I'm not holding my breath they will ever happen on this gen.
Bummer. It would have been a nice quality of life thing.

Back