Fractal Talk

WTF with the Teles? Same viral infection at the Fractal FW16 thread
puppet can't even GIF by Fast Company

Yes, that's pretty weird 🤣
why though? most recordings we listen to are hard panned where one guitar comes out of one speaker. You get less weird room cancellations between L and R too so things sound more solid. The novelty of most stereo fx wears off pretty fast.

For clean things or single note stuff, or anything covered in fx I might pan centrally and use stereo stuff. But stereo by default seems a bit pointless to me for a mono source 🤷‍♂️

BTT:

Do you use your Fractal Predominantly Mono or Stereo?
And which Hacks do you use for Stereo?

Gig = Mono
Home = Stereo
What @norminal said.

I hate it when the other guitarist in our band tries to run his Kemper in stereo. It is a nightmare to mix at the FOH and does absolutely nothing for the overall sound in the bars we play in.

maybe i’m weird (!) but when i’m just playing most of the time ill play mono and hard pan to one speaker.
If I’m going into studio monitors, I don’t usually pan - mostly just because with my jbl 305s kinda need the help of 2. But I do frequently plug into my QSC k8.2 just because I do prefer hearing guitar coming from a single speaker source since it’s a little more like what I’m used to.

What @norminal said.

I hate it when the other guitarist in our band tries to run his Kemper in stereo. It is a nightmare to mix at the FOH and does absolutely nothing for the overall sound in the bars we play in.
Same here, the other plays a Kemper and always stereo and i normally mono, but it's not compatible and he doesn't want to understand it. Maybe a kemper Ego i don't know.
This is the reason why i made a stereo preset too

For example using Delay 2290 w /Modulation and set time to 11s and mix to 10 in gainy rhythm parts, than you have stereo power chords like in a studio recording

Ah. I get you. Tips and techniques. "Hack" sounded like some sort of workaround to me!

I'm guessing you mean 11 ms (milliseconds) rather than seconds?

But anyway, yes that's great for that huge wide John Petrucci rhythm sound.

If you'd like to learn more about that sort of thing, you can download Petrucci’s Gift of Tone which is a collection of effect blocks saved from his Axe-Fx III live rig.

#22 on this page: https://www.fractalaudio.com/gift-of-tone/

@Piing Did you dial in a JTM45 jumped tone that you were happy with in the end?

I didn't forget about you, but I was so busy with work that I only just got around to exporting my very simple preset. And now I don't have a place to share it. Well, I suppose I could make an account and put it on Axe Change.

@Piing Did you dial in a JTM45 jumped tone that you were happy with in the end?

I didn't forget about you, but I was so busy with work that I only just got around to exporting my very simple preset. And now I don't have a place to share it. Well, I suppose I could make an account and put it on Axe Change.
It didn't sound bad. But after playing with for a while I moved to the Plexi 100W, and I finally went back to my favorite JS410. I always go back to the JS 😁

maybe i’m weird (!) but when i’m just playing most of the time ill play mono and hard pan to one speaker.
A typical reason to do that in non-acoustically treated environments is to lesson the untreated room's excitement (reduce unwanted room colorization, i.e. standing waves etc), as well as to listen in mono from a single point source (this is assuming you're temporarily using only one speaker of a stereo pair).

Last edited:
I noticed today Fractal lowered the prices of the FM3, 9 MKII Turbos by $100. I don't know how long this will last....

FM3 MKII Turbo is now $999.99
FM9 MKII Turbo is now $1,699.99

Back